2019 NYC SA recruiting timeline pushed up to March/April?

...---...'s picture

Currently a sophomore at a top undergrad Econ program. Hearing from friends at BBs in NY that first round interviews are going to be starting in Spring, around March and April.

If this is the case, will interviewers just not care about what you're doing this summer? It just seems like at this stage, there isn't much that can differentiate anybody; only some people have a summer internship from last year under their belts, and not many people have at my school are ready for technicals.

Comments (72)

Jan 28, 2018

I can confirm. Banks have already began posting for SA positions on the Career Resource Website. Most deadlines are in early March for resumes.

Jan 28, 2018

Are the interviews in the spring only for target schools? I'm getting really worried that my school (non-target liberal arts, but sends 5ish to BBs each year) is totally out of the loop on this timeline...

Jan 29, 2018

Early march for summer 2019 What are the career postings just like resume drops or? Is this specifically for the accelerated processes?

Feb 10, 2018

Would this imply that only grades from the first three semesters of school matter? And that our resumes we drop into applications are pretty much set in stone?

Jan 28, 2018

I'm at a non-ivy target and can confirm that the timelines have definitely been pushed up ahead (have an exec position in a club that directly deals with school-wide IB recruiting).
It does not however look like first rounds will start that early -> info sessions are taking place late march/early april so first rounds will probably be around late may/early june.

My feeling is that despite banks starting this early, the recruiting process will drag throughout the summer, and into august/september.

Another question to IB analysts in charge of recruiting -> Is it okay to put scheduled to start an IB/PE summer internship in summer 2018 etc on your resume, because it seems impossible to distinguish candidates otherwise.

Jan 28, 2018

Array

Jan 28, 2018

Yeap we've been told to do this by juniors/seniors to do this. Given the backlash against "incoming investment banking analyst" on WSO, just not sure what's the right move here.

Jan 28, 2018

I'm a senior and an incoming analyst at an EB, but after I signed on for FT I was offered by HR to be part of my school's OCR efforts as a info session speaker and firm rep. I was discussing the recruiting timeline with HR and they said that they will begin info sessions and other pre-interview processes like coffee chats and dinners in spring 2018 for summer 2019. The actual interview processes would then be conducted late June - early September, but I need to confirm that. I thought this was pretty crazy, but apparently other EBs and BBs are doing the same, so it seems like it will become the norm.

Jan 28, 2018

Out of curiosity, are you located on the east or west coast?

Jan 28, 2018

NYC office. Should amend my statement by saying that "other EBs and BBs are doing the same" mostly applies for their NYC offices. Other regions may have different timelines - Houston banks for example, have a very accelerated timeline and start OCR as early as April.

Jan 28, 2018

I'll be at a BB's IB this summer as a rising junior. When do you think I should include that I'm at least an incoming IB SA on my resume? I'm coming from a semi-target, at best, LAC and I'd like to distinguish myself from other candidates when the recruiting season kicks off. I'll take any competitive advantage I can get.

Ideally, I'd get a return offer at my BB because I've really clicked with everyone I've spoken with but who knows if I can find a better "fit" at an EB or other BB.

Jan 28, 2018

I would definitely include that right now, so that it's on your resume before you send it out for coffee chat / networking purposes in the spring. Even though it appears as if your already jumping for another bank before you've started your internship, people understand that securing a return offer, especially for a sophomore IB internship, is definitely not a guarantee and so it's totally fine to put that on your resume.

Jan 28, 2018

Alright thanks. And I've heard that SF and Houston moves the earliest, but again, could be wrong.

April is just crazy, there's absolutely no time to prepare for technicals or have any sort of banking/PE internships before.

Jan 28, 2018

I've heard the same as well. I think it's insane how early this is now and that it's unsustainable as a recruiting technique. I get that you want the best talent, but now you basically need to know coming into college what exactly you want to do.

Jan 29, 2018

Starting to look like the UK now, with kids having to "know" what they want to do when choosing A-levels lol...

Jan 29, 2018

Yep. Almost seems like you need to have those high school insight days on your CV and applying to spring weeks before even stepping foot onto a university campus to remain competitive.

Pretty wild.

Jan 28, 2018

This past year some banks were holding info sessions in March and April and many people were doing accelerated superdays with the banks in June and July. Also, many of this year's junior class already had their SA positions lined up by September or earlier.

This year's SA recruiting cycle will be as fast or faster.

Feb 10, 2018

When did applications come out last year? Before May? I am hoping that my GPA will not adjust from what it has been the past 3 semesters and that it is set in stone

Jan 28, 2018

Many info sessions are in February and March at my school, but I think interviewing will still be summer.

Jan 28, 2018

Any IB monkeys can chime in on the incoming/scheduled internship thing for the summer?

Jan 30, 2018

Networking will likely be more important than ever coming into this season. Having a good word put in or having a strong internal reference will likely be crucial to get attention early in the process.

Carl Van Loon
Van Loon & Associates

Jan 29, 2018

That would be an incredibly stupid reason seeing as the earlier you push recruiting, the less reliable your GPA.

Best Response
Jan 29, 2018

This is worse than Hitler.

Jan 29, 2018

insanely early

"If you're afraid - don't do it, if you're doing it - don't be afraid!"
-- Genghis Khan

Jan 29, 2018

Honestly, I think this early recruiting has an extremely negative effect on the talent pool and only draws a certain type of person. You miss out on a huge talent pool of people who are not sure of their interests yet and only seem to capture those who are quickly attached to the prestige of banking, in my opinion at least

Cb

Jan 29, 2018

I completely agree and that's why it seems to be unsustainable as a recruiting technique. On top of that, only people at targets especially for 2019/2020 SA will have the information and prep in time for recruiting. Seems like almost a way to weed out semi-targets and non-targets.

Jan 29, 2018

I literally just saw WF post their 2019 summer analyst position with a deadline in March......

This semester will not be fun.

Jan 29, 2018

@allhailthelord" Where did you see this??

Jan 29, 2018

Should've specified. This is on OCR.

Jan 29, 2018

Hey who said that interviews would be in March and April for SA 2019? GS 2019 app does not open till July 1st, is there still an early accelerated process that is not technically posted online?

Jan 30, 2018

this year, GS had accelerated super days in May. Can confirm bc my friends attended. This was through your school's recruitment team, not the app. Both kids who got super days were in contact with the team before my school's networking session in April, where they picked the two. My advice is to find out who's leading recruitment at your school and network to earn a spot. I am from a non-target but I assume they had a similar if not faster process for the targets.

Jan 30, 2018

I'm not that old but I remember the good old days where recruitment didn't start more than a year before the internship. This is wild

Jan 31, 2018

Not just NYC but also here on the West Coast. Got an email today from the school saying this.

Jan 31, 2018

Do you guys know if full-time recruitment has also been pushed forward?

Feb 1, 2018

^ Also interested if anyone has information on FT!

Feb 1, 2018

At this point, FT recruiting is literally just to plug holes in the SA dropouts. timing shouldn't change because interns are still accepting return offers at the same time as they always do.

Feb 1, 2018

At an Ivy, GS is having their info session in late Feb lol

Feb 2, 2018

Can also confirm. I'm at a target school and SA 2019 recruiting has kicked off. Firms are coming to campus for Spring recruiting presentation starting mid-Feb.

Feb 2, 2018

To be honest, this is frankly ridiculous. Already a decent amount of banks have posted info sessions and coffee chats in February and March. At least recruiting this year had the excuse of being early on so it wouldn't affect student's GPAs.

I feel this hurts transfer students, students from non-traditional backgrounds, and schools without a strong finance background. I just can't imagine somebody transferring from community college or another school sophomore year succeeding in this round of recruiting without significant knowledge beforehand.

Additionally, since recruiting this year starts before summer internships I feel most candidates will be unfamiliar with finance in general. LMM PE, boutique banks, and F500 roles used to provide candidates with some technical experience before interviews.

This is a bad idea in general to move it before summer internships start. I hope the trend reverses, but unfortunately I don't see it stopping before it reaches a critical breaking point.

Feb 2, 2018

Agreed. At least at my school, most of the kids are woefully unprepared, and it looks like most of the recruiting will be done through diversity programs etc since we're a semi-target.

Feb 3, 2018

Sooner or later, we're actually going to start recruiting high schoolers...

Feb 4, 2018

yea man- I think JPM already has some type of high school program for seniors. Crazy.

Feb 4, 2018

Ivy->BB->PE, now startup building an online career center to combat recruiting BS. Why do you think this is happening? Are BBs facing competition from tech? Have you heard of ppl with SA offers getting snatched up by Google and reneging?

Feb 10, 2018

Current student at a top target here. Competition isn't coming from tech (for example, Google is still interviewing for BOLD 2018 interns and SWE intern interviews are in the fall). In general, tech SA roles are not considered as prestigious as BB/PE/HF roles and top consulting firms--I know a number of people who interned at a tech firm junior summer and then recruited for consulting FT.

As far as I can tell, all of the competition is coming from other banks. Wells Fargo is the most egregious offender this year--app deadline for summer 2019 is March 15. A number of banks are holding IB info sessions in February/March. Overall, I think the shift is being driven by a few very aggressive banks--however, once these banks move recruiting to sophomore spring, their peers have to follow in order to compete for top talent. In general, EBs seems to be recruiting earlier than BBs (at least MS/GS and European banks). Based on conversations with friends at multiple EBs, EBs that did not plan to do super-accelerated spring recruiting for 2019 SA are now panicking and setting up last-minute OCR efforts for target schools this spring.

Feb 10, 2018

What school is this? WF deadline for OCR is March 15th there??

Feb 4, 2018

This is fucking idiotic. Banks need to come together and agree to push back recruiting.

Feb 11, 2018

It should be coming from the schools tbh. The target school deans need to get together and set a specified window when firms can hold info sessions and interviews so this bullshit can stop

Feb 4, 2018

Non-target and have 3 summer '18 jobs posted on my school's job board.

This is just remarkably dumb. Most kids have completed little to no finance courses by spring semester of sophomore year. This is really no different than recruiting kids out of high school and I don't see what the benefit to the banks is.

Winter of junior year makes the most sense if you want to draw from the whole universe of kids who want to do IB (by this point kids know if it's what they want, not true for kids 1.5 years out of HS) and have kids who have some academic and/or internship background in finance. Without the latter, there's no objective measure of a candidate's qualification for the job.

I come from down in the Valley, where Mr. when you're young, they bring you up to do like your daddy done.

Feb 18, 2018

Double

Feb 5, 2018
Y4NG123:

Would you say people at your school are meaningfully prepared for recruiting by taking finance courses? I'm in agreement that it's quite aggressive to do summer 2019 recruiting this early, but all banking recruiting needs is for you to have memorized M&I - courses are helpful when you're on the job but the argument that earlier hurts kids because they haven't taken courses doesn't really make sense, at least thinking about my school. Would be curious if you felt courses did prepare you for recruiting (and if you're willing to share, where you go - seems like a decent education even if it's a non-target).

It depends on how you define meaningfully. If you mean it as in prepared to model an LBO or an M&A deal, no. What I am saying is that the the candidate's knowledge of finance and accounting is meaningfully more substantial for haven taken finance and accounting courses as opposed to not haven taken them.

I'm actually making the opposite argument. I said it doesn't make sense for the banks.

I was better prepared than I would have been if I'd never taken a finance course. How much better prepared depends on the role. For example, my school also has a couple of industry-specific concentrations. The material in my industry concentration's intro-course covered every technical I was asked w/ groups focused on that industry.

I come from down in the Valley, where Mr. when you're young, they bring you up to do like your daddy done.

Feb 10, 2018

When are applications coming out? If they come out before this semester ends then grades are pretty much locked in at this point since that is what will beon our resumes

Feb 19, 2018

I'm a target sophomore looking to apply for JPMorgan 2019. Should I wait until I finalize an internship for this summer to apply? Can't believe the app is already out - it's pretty stressful to be honest.

Feb 19, 2018

This is kind of BS. I haven't even finalized this summers plans yet. How can you have a solid bullet point under an internship if you haven't even started?

Feb 19, 2018

Agreed. LOL cannot believe JPM 19 is already out. Why don't they just start having summer analyst gigs for middle schoolers, might as well move it up earlier hey

Feb 19, 2018

Many people have been asking what the timeline was like for 2018 Summer Analyst IB Recruiting. Here you go: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/2018-summer...
It looks like many banks opened applications in the summer (around July). This was also when some banks like Evercore were starting accelerated interviewing for FT analysts, in case some people wanted to know how FT recruiting was affected last year.

Feb 19, 2018

HR at a mid-tier BB told me they were considering targeting high schools but then dismissed the idea for its sheer lunacy. But they did consider it...

Mar 28, 2018

Those that plan on recruiting FT, rejoice! I'd wager significantly more FT spots will open up due to the overall lack of readiness and ability of the summer analysts that havent even completed introductory corporate finance classes. I imagine a lot of them will get killed on the job and thus more spots will open up for FT.

Mar 29, 2018

You think that's bad? A big (ish) PE firm came to talk to seniors at my school about on cycle recruiting for after they graduate.

Apr 10, 2018

Im a current sophomore at Florida State University. I had an internship at Raymond James last summer. Gpa is a 3.4. I have reached out to at least 70 banks, PE firms, and hedge funds. Im starting to applying for the summer 2019 internships. Should I focus more on networking for those or try to get a boutique internship this summer?

Apr 10, 2018

Both, it may be hard to do so (given that you need to increase your 3.4) but you should focus all of your efforts on getting internships. FSU is lenient, academically, so put forth every effort into getting where you want to go. We have like 3 FSU grads at my bank and they are solid because they had to work harder than other, given the lack of ORC recruiting.

Apr 10, 2018

Thank you! What bank is that?

Apr 11, 2018
Comment
Apr 11, 2018
Apr 11, 2018
Apr 11, 2018