2019 RE Internship/SA Thread

bottles_n_models's picture

Hi guys,

I know this has been generally discussed and that most major RE companies don't stick to a set recruitment cycle as an industry like IB does. My interests in RE lie mostly in debt/equity capital markets and currently looking at shops like HFF/Eastdil/JLL etc for next summer (two years left of school). My question is this: when/where do most of the bigger companies post SA/internship positions and how long do they spend interviewing applicants before filling the role? Are there any groups off the beaten path that are worth applying to? Open to major full service companies, REIT's, REPE, or boutique shops-- just want the best experience I can get. I've been constantly networking the last few months but have hardly seen any postings and would like to confirm my suspicion that landing a SA role in a major market is 95% networking.

Currently a SA at one of the major brokerage houses (think CBRE/C&W/Colliers) and working in an analyst capacity seems more appealing to me long term then jumping headfirst into brokerage out of undergrad. Any insights from you hardos would be very much appreciated.

Comments (13)

Jul 30, 2018

holy bump^^^^^

Jul 30, 2018

You're way too early. I haven't even finished my Summer Associate position for this Summer. Firms aren't gonna start thinking about Summer 2019 until January. Just focus on building a network and relationships now, and wait until the New Year to start pursuing internships.

Most Helpful
Jul 31, 2018

Lol what? ES has half their 2019 SA class filled already, stop giving out bad advice.

Aug 3, 2018

Bump

Aug 3, 2018

Set up coffee/breakfast meetings with as many industry players as you can. If things go well you can ask what recruitment looks like in a follow up e-mail

Aug 3, 2018

Good advice. I've been working on this and will definitely keep at it

Oct 20, 2018

Bump

Nov 6, 2018

Bump

Nov 6, 2018

HFF has 2019 summers posted, about all I've seen so far.

Nov 7, 2018

Where do you have a link?

Nov 8, 2018
Nov 7, 2018

Scour the websites. Most of the companies post them. But in a lot of cases the positions will already be filled, since they have internal requirements to post them for a certain amount of time before they 'select' a candidate, even though in a lot of cases they already have informally. Poster above saying to network is spot on, if you simply cold apply to these internships you're coming in at a significant disadvantage to people with connections at the firm.

Controversial
Nov 13, 2018
Comment