2019 RE Internship/SA Thread

Subscribe

Hi guys,

I know this has been generally discussed and that most major RE companies don't stick to a set recruitment cycle as an industry like IB does. My interests in RE lie mostly in debt/equity capital markets and currently looking at shops like HFF/Eastdil/JLL etc for next summer (two years left of school). My question is this: when/where do most of the bigger companies post SA/internship positions and how long do they spend interviewing applicants before filling the role? Are there any groups off the beaten path that are worth applying to? Open to major full service companies, REIT's, REPE, or boutique shops-- just want the best experience I can get. I've been constantly networking the last few months but have hardly seen any postings and would like to confirm my suspicion that landing a SA role in a major market is 95% networking.

Currently a SA at one of the major brokerage houses (think CBRE/C&W/Colliers) and working in an analyst capacity seems more appealing to me long term then jumping headfirst into brokerage out of undergrad. Any insights from you hardos would be very much appreciated.

Comments (13)

Nov 7, 2018 - 1:40pm

Scour the websites. Most of the companies post them. But in a lot of cases the positions will already be filled, since they have internal requirements to post them for a certain amount of time before they 'select' a candidate, even though in a lot of cases they already have informally. Poster above saying to network is spot on, if you simply cold apply to these internships you're coming in at a significant disadvantage to people with connections at the firm.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."
Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

September 2020 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (17) $704
  • Vice President (45) $323
  • Associates (255) $228
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (37) $203
  • 2nd Year Analyst (141) $153
  • Intern/Summer Associate (133) $141
  • 1st Year Analyst (561) $129
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (543) $82