2019 SA Sophomore Internships Thread

Right now it does not look as if there is a thread going regarding 2019 Summer SA positions specifically targeted at current sophomores so I intend for this thread to serve as a tool for all of us regarding this. Down below are the programs currently open to those graduating in 2021 that I have found thus far at the BBs:

BAML

1. Global Banking & Markets Sophomore Summer Analyst Program - Deadline: September 8th
    https://campus.bankofamerica.com/careers/Global-B…

This one includes a variety of different positions including: IB, S&T, Corp banking, capital markets, etc. Pick from whichever one suits you the most. The GPA requirement varies by the specific position you apply for, whic will be either a 3.2 or 3.5 minimum preferred.

Citi
1. Sophomore Leadership Program, Summer Analyst - Deadline: doesn't state, but assuming sometime in the fall as it just opened about a month ago.

https://jobs.citi.com/job/new-york/sophomore-lead…

3.3 minimum GPA

Credit Suisse

1. 2019 Investment Banking Sophomore Diversity Summer Analyst Program - Deadline: Fall 2018

Self -explanatory and is a diversity one. Link is https://credit-suisse.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobil…

1. 2019 Global Markets Sophomore Diversity Summer Analyst Program - Deadline - Fall

Similar to previous one. Diversity only. LInk is https://credit-suisse.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobil…

Goldman Sachs
1. Summer Analyst Internship

https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/students/pro…

While it doesn't explicitly state that it is open to sophomores, it does state the following with regards to eligibility: The summer analyst role is for candidates currently pursuing a college or university degree and is usually undertaken during the second year of study.. Take that however you please. Will most likely be wicked hard as sophomores to get it but I encourage all to apply. Doesn't hurt.

Doesn't state deadlines, however includes the following application periods instead, with decisions coming out after each application period.

Application Periods:
- Period 1: July 1 to Sep 15, 2018
- Period 2: Sep 16 to Nov 15, 2018
- Period 3: Nov 16 to Dec 15, 2018

J.P. Morgan
1. 2019 Corporate & Investment Bank Investment Banking Summer Analyst Program - Deadline: September 2nd

https://jpmchase.taleo.net/careersection/10140/jo…

3.2 minimum GPA

Morgan Stanley
1. 2019 Sophomore Summer Analyst Program - Deadline: September 5th

This one is diversity specific but I wanted to throw this one in here in case any diversity applicants are looking for diversity specific programs. 3.0 minimum GPA.

https://morganstanley.tal.net/vx/mobile-0/brand-0…

Still looking around for more internships targeted at our class and will keep this thread updated. If some of the older guys on the site could provide some insights into this programs, the application process, etc that would be great! PM me if you have any questions.

Congrats! Did you happen to network or have any OCR or anything? I applied to the Barclays IB that week the app opened, but received nothing since then? I’m at a public school target non-diversity with a decent app. Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Disclaimer* - I was not in IBD, I was in S&T within the AM arm of my bank. Recruiting process was virtually identical but if you guys have IBD specific questions I can ask friends who did sophomore IB and pass on answers.

It was a combination of a lot of networking very early on and being very well versed in markets and why I wanted to go into that particular role. Did a lot of networking Freshman year and much more concentrated networking 2nd semester freshman year. I'm at a well known non-target in the North East with not much OCR except for a few alums from a few BB's who come on campus every year to help kids out. I networked with this group of ppl very aggressively and really tried to be a stand out student during networking events. I also networked extremely aggressively during my Freshman summer internship. I'd take calls during my lunch break, meeting people for coffee during my lunch break, meeting traders at 7am then running back mid town to work, meeting people after work, etc. just really trying to show grit and above average competency in markets and investing for someone my age. I am a diversity candidate but my sophomore program was NOT exclusively for diversity candidates as I knew a few who were White and Asian.

Most Helpful

A few of you guys PM'd me but I'd rather you guys ask questions on the thread so I don't have to re-type everything 100 times. But I'll try to address some of the specific questions I got in pm.

**Where did I work: ** A top 3 BB. Think JP/MS/GS

What made me successful in the process and what should we be doing to maximize our chances: I think what made me successful in all honesty was a combination of my communication skills and my passion for markets. I've always been a strong communicator and being able to express how well versed I was in certain market and investment concepts really helped me stand out as a sophomore. I was a pretty strong interviewer. Oddly I actually enjoyed the interviews since like to talk about myself and markets. I was also really persistent in my networking and expressing WHY I wanted this role and why this role was a good fit for me. I will also say that I was at a very well known brand name firm for my freshman summer internship so that carried a lot of weight.

What was the process to obtain the internship: I guess I can give you guys a timeline breakdown of how I got it:

1st semester freshman year - GPA was my focus. Reading and learning A LOT on my own but genuine curiosity helped carry me a lot. Learning the details about all the functions of different roles in S&T/AM/ER and a bit IBD but I knew early that I wasn't going to do IBD. (I was also one of those kids on WSO since high school so I had a bit of a knowledge advantage). Built general connections with alumni. Applied for Freshman summer internships. (Received an interviews at a top 3 BB, small boutique, and a Big 4. Received Big 4 offer before BB so decided to go with that instead of pushing my luck.)

2nd Semester - NETWORKED. Concentrated networking at most BB's with the few alums we had there. building strong relationships with a few ppl instead of trying to connect with everybody. Many coffee chats and phone calls.

Freshman Summer: Networked like hell in NYC. Leveraged my brand name and had a legitimate reason for wanting something different.

June/July: Completed Hireviews

First semester Sophomore yr: Superdayed in October. Superdayed at 3 BB's (two were top 2, one was a mid tier), received offers from 2 in mid October.

Advice for hireviews: Practice. Practice. Practice. Literally. Find relatively close questions or find someone who posts them on WSO. Open up photo booth, and practice recording yourself answering the questions. Go back and watch your self and see where you look weird, hear your answers, do they make sense? do they sound funny? are you awkwardly leaning to the left or to the right? (I did that a lot lol). Practice staring at the camera peep hole and get so 2nd nature with it that your not even TEMPTED to look at yourself because you WILL get thrown off. Try not to sound like a robot. In my opinion going from hireview to super day is by far the hardest jump. Networking will hopefully bring over that jump.

Happy to answer more questions on the thread if you guys have.

That's just networking, nothing official. It helps you get to know the guy more and maybe he could pull for you later

had a jpm markets phone screen for er about two weeks ago - my friend who's a junior had her phone interview around the same time and has her superday this friday. Do they have the same superdays for juniors and sophomores?

Sophomore internship interviews will usually be mostly behavior, at least in my experience. However, know a few interesting things related to economy/deals that are in the news like the back of your hand as they tend to ask about those. As always, be prepared to know how to walk someone through a DCF, what the three financial statements are, etc.

is anyone else still interviewing for GS IMD? i had a superday but they invited me back for more interviews, did this happen to anyone else?

Quia voluptatem corrupti est eaque. Impedit repellat quod sint.

Dolor voluptas maiores consequatur itaque placeat deleniti. Quaerat quia et odio totam amet itaque nobis. Aut ex excepturi maiores aut eaque eum. Fugiat officiis inventore quam nemo sit libero voluptatum. Dolor quam aliquid voluptatum aut dignissimos.

Ipsam et modi non sed vel et vel sint. Voluptas eaque at molestiae incidunt similique. Sint qui qui esse nostrum atque.

Ut id assumenda labore neque necessitatibus esse alias. Eos sed quo atque aliquid quos.

Ea dignissimos corporis minus et. Quos omnis ea molestiae qui provident dolorem. Tempore asperiores qui aut ea dolorem.

Cupiditate eligendi quia dolor ut. Provident omnis id tempora possimus in. Sequi dolor corrupti ratione ullam.

Officiis adipisci autem reiciendis maxime consequatur assumenda. Consequuntur officia aut et voluptate repudiandae. Libero ea quia quo et est quia.

Et fuga dolore et enim eum. Enim debitis et cupiditate consectetur cupiditate amet. Odio aliquam rerum labore et eius porro.

Quo consequatur non tempore vitae sint. Error esse ut aut expedita cumque consequatur. Perferendis beatae iusto mollitia officia. Adipisci quibusdam est eos asperiores vitae commodi consectetur. Natus consectetur alias dolor qui et. Vitae nulla et eius neque atque. Soluta quia voluptates error aut.

Eaque debitis et iusto quisquam nisi velit. Accusantium iusto quas assumenda dicta architecto. Enim molestias et est dolor in dicta sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”