2020 Bonuses

Didn't see an existing thread, so wanted to get one up to chat about bonuses in this hellscape of a year. Depending on the sector, some firms are still really hurting, while some have escaped relatively unscathed.

I would typically have received a bonus+raise by this time of year, but have heard nothing yet. The senior leadership at my shop took preemptive pay cuts back in March, but things have really not turned out to be that bad (one could even argue a lot of our positions have been bettered). Wanted to hear some anecdotes from around the industry before I initiate the conversation.

Comments (55)

Dec 21, 2020 - 10:49am

I'll find out on my 12/31 paycheck. Haven't had any discussions about it, but that's not abnormal for my company. 

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Jan 12, 2021 - 8:52pm

CRE

I'll find out on my 12/31 paycheck. Haven't had any discussions about it, but that's not abnormal for my company. 

Forgot about this. Full bonus received. It helped that we ended the year with a bang. 

• Analyst 2 in RE - Comm
Dec 21, 2020 - 2:33pm

What's the typical timeline for bonus/ raises to come through? Ours seem pretty late as we don't get them until the end of February/ early March.

Dec 21, 2020 - 3:17pm

I feel like Q1 is more typical than end of Q4 like me. 

• VP in RE - Comm
Dec 21, 2020 - 9:25pm

I was told it was a tough year company wide (flat to slightly down across the board) even though my specific fund put up a ridiculous return this year. Ended up flat cash comp wise, but was given 35bps in carry on an in the money fund, so not complaining.

Dec 22, 2020 - 5:31pm

Got a prorated bonus since I started in the middle of the year (recent grad), in line with what it would have been in normal times, about 10%. 

• Investment Analyst in RE - Comm
Dec 23, 2020 - 4:46pm

What were your expectations going into the year? Target bonus range?

• Analyst 3+ in RE - Res
Dec 24, 2020 - 8:54am

Goose egg, but 30% of the company got laid off so it was always a possibility. Target bonus is only 25% anyway, but still sucks. 

• Developer in RE - Comm
Dec 24, 2020 - 9:12am

Once smoke clears I assume most people will be on the move. What a crazy year. Part of working in CRE is the upside. If that's not there what's the point?

Dec 24, 2020 - 4:23pm

Once smoke clears I assume most people will be on the move. What a crazy year. Part of working in CRE is the upside. If that's not there what's the point?

If you're so shortsighted that you think one atypical bad year is reason enough to quit the industry, you neither deserve nor will get to that upside.

• Analyst 3+ in RE - Comm
Dec 26, 2020 - 10:42am

What positions are paying 60-100% bonuses? Have been in CRE for a little while now (~5 years including internships) and have a decent network built up at large and small shops on acq and dev teams and best i ever really hear is 25%. Am i missing something?

• Analyst 1 in RE - Comm
Dec 26, 2020 - 1:02pm

Most institutional shops pay this, whether is acquisitions, IS/DE, AM, etc.  But again highly dependent on market. This is per usual for Tier 1 makers such as LA/NYC/SF

• Associate 1 in RE - Comm
Dec 28, 2020 - 1:41pm

Given that I've worked 1.5x typical hours in this year anything less than 100% of typical would be ultra disappointing. 

• Analyst 3+ in RE - Comm
Dec 29, 2020 - 1:10am

Bonus this year is double what it was last year, a 15 % raise came with it to. I will say though that business really kicked in the last 4 months of this year, which ended up with me working late nights, more weekends and even over some of the recent holidays.

Dec 29, 2020 - 4:30am

Interesting that in the US (where most responders seem to be here) bonuses and salaries come through in December. In London most firms generally tend to do these in around Feb-March time. 

Array
Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

Girlfriend vs PE
+80PEby Investment Analyst in Private Equity - Growth Equity">Investment Analyst in PE - Growth
Life Hacks during WFH | How do you avoid burnout?
+60IBby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
I’ll never take WSO for granted again
+50OFFby Principal in Venture Capital">Principal in VC
What's so good about Evercore?
+37IBby Prospective Monkey in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Prospect in IB-M&A
I'm tired man
+29IBby Intern in Corporate Finance">Intern in CorpFin
Friends in IB are chilling hard, how can I get this?
+18IBby 3rd+ Year Associate in Private Equity - LBOs">Associate 3 in PE - LBOs

Total Avg Compensation

January 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (31) $349
  • Associates (141) $232
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (18) $155
  • 2nd Year Analyst (86) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (89) $144
  • 1st Year Analyst (345) $134
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (298) $83

Leaderboard See all