2020 bonuses

Lots of other forums have one, figured might as well do one here.

Base/bonus

Year of experience/seniority

Anything you want to share about fund performance or whatever.

EDIT:

Will update periodically with a summary

200 + 200/next year start
80 + 50/1 year
120 + 180/1 year
250 + 100/1 year, 1/6th stub
125 + 125/2 year
150 + 1500/2 year
125 + 2250/3 year
200 + 250/5 year 
150 + 350/5 year
150 + 400/5 year
150 + 100/?
200 + 500/?

As a person who decides bonuses, your experience can definitely cap your bonus and set a range, but it's more about your personal contributions.  So either there was a perception that the stuff you worked on was not directly linked to the pnl or your boss is just unfair.

As a rule of thumb I think the buckets are: 300k, 300-500, 500-750, 750-1mm, 1mm, 3mm, 10mm+.  Getting over 1mm basically means formulaic contributions and running strategies that you developed on your own and not firm IP.

So it's worth asking why u were in the bucket u were vs the other guys.

Most Helpful

300: junior analyst couple years at fund with upside. No upside or bad attitude for team and you're out the door.

300-500: either senior quant without direct pnl ties or like 3-5 year experience analyst in normal years and normal contribution. Most are in this bucket.

500-750: Need direct pnl ties.  5y+ average analyst or 3 years in a great year and significant contributions

750-1mm: 5y+ experience significant contributions good year but not direct risk.

1mm: Jr PM with risk in decent year and formulaic payout or experienced analyst in big year

3mm: average tenured PM without scale

10mm+: senior PM with scale and capable of putting up 50mm+ net

That's basically the hierarchy and how to think about it.  Note this is TOTAL COMP, not bonus.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more posts like this one. Second to last week in October there was a shift in leadership and there was a big risk-on rotation. The market hit the gas pedal on this in November (what a day 11/9 was, but for obvious reasons). Have had a similar year on the long-only side, we were killing it through September and now we are much more tight with our bench. 

What’s typical comp for someone who goes IB -> SM HF instead of PE first?

Depending on fund size, similar to first year PE associate comp. If you're at a MM you can scale even faster than that but with more risk obviously.

Thanks for the response. Would ~300-350k be realistic at some of the larger SMs (Lone Pine/Coatue/Tiger)? Also, I've heard hours are almost as long as IB but more stressful because there isn't really downtime. Would you agree on that? 

Analyst 3+ in HF - EquityHedge

125 / >2250

Don’t want to give too much away, but I’ve been at my firm for >3 years now and we had a bit of a breakout year. Not expecting to get close to that number again on any consistent basis. 

Do u work in biotech?

150K/400K. 5yrs total experience, 3yrs at current fund

I hope next year will be good. My offer had base of 200, and expected bonus range starting from 100% but who knows if that will happen

rumplestiltskin

400k for a hf principal? How does that work?

In a niche sector and I have a niche domain expertise

Well yeah lol unless you’re an MD ur always better off at a HF. Although there’s much worse job security. I made the jump from IB and I never want to think about IB again. I’m gonna be emailing my former bosses for bitch work slides.

5 years of total work exp before? What type of fund (MM or SM)? Thanks.

Congrats! Given your non-investment background, how did you go about your search for a firm and/or the best team for you? I'd like to move from a top BB to systematic investing and get good relevant experience, so I want to ensure I'm covering all possible companies with my search. 

just out of curiosity, how did the fund perform? also guessing the fund runs lean?

CPAtoIBhopeful

Are most of these people with these big bonuses create code strategies for their funds? End goal is to work at HF but I have no coding experience.

I’m not sure if CPAs usually get hedge fund jobs these days. Maybe non investor positions are possible but I haven’t seen any CPAs. But I am in a very particular niche type of a fund.

London pay is based a lot on age. I worked 4 years in a HF, getting promoted from back office to front office and backup PM. People who are older and made some significant mistakes made more money even though we generated a lot of profit for the firm. They cemented that you get paid based on your age and how the cio perceives you. Total Bs.

Tiger grandcub, started a couple months ago. Fund doing well

250 base + got 100 stub for about 1/6th of the year

Hoping this scales up with the full year in 2021...

Are you responsible for pitching your own ideas and is your performance tied to your own p&l? Or do you work under a senior analyst / pm? 

What strategy/asset class if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous Monkey

1st year analyst at $10bn+ HF 

2 years prior experience

950k all in 

Buddy of mine has a similar profile and did $2.5mm as a second year analyst. 

The best funds pay really well. 

2.5 mm as second year wow!!! I hope my second year comes anywhere close to that.

Consequuntur dolorem officiis a et. Dignissimos ipsum molestias velit vitae minus. Autem odio iusto iure quo velit in tempore. Vel minus ipsum rem. Et saepe autem aperiam nobis ipsam facilis. Velit tenetur id accusantium et delectus. Sint quod labore odio est aliquid.

Sit quibusdam voluptas optio omnis earum quia. Omnis corporis et fugiat aperiam omnis et sit qui. Sit eius sint quaerat rerum.

Ea vero voluptatem expedita quaerat id ab. Sit reprehenderit rerum earum qui. Enim voluptatem perferendis eos facilis similique soluta. Aliquid eum ullam tempora ab sint.

Ipsam molestias doloribus voluptatem ad quo. Eligendi et et explicabo numquam magnam molestiae aliquam. Accusantium illum possimus veniam facilis saepe.

Deleniti qui quia at pariatur quidem et. Dolores qui minima perferendis at magni quos dolore. Quam possimus ut distinctio sit.

Minima dolorem eaque consequatur. Ut enim qui sunt omnis sint qui vel numquam. Quibusdam error dolorum velit voluptatem. Nobis qui modi perferendis ut consectetur dolores.

Perferendis sunt quasi voluptate autem. Architecto officia quaerat alias. Quasi quod quod eligendi tempore. Earum dolor reprehenderit totam placeat ut eius unde placeat. Aperiam suscipit nobis dignissimos eius ipsa atque voluptatum voluptas. Saepe consectetur tempore minima minus adipisci alias provident.

Aperiam hic sed consequatur. Voluptatem vel animi ducimus esse explicabo occaecati. Rem sunt ad esse explicabo.

Dignissimos unde quia cum qui non rerum. Architecto itaque temporibus repellendus dolore. Et esse sit aut numquam quis.

Rerum quod laudantium dolorem laudantium in. Rerum perferendis ipsam voluptas quasi. Sint molestiae dolorem corporis non voluptas voluptas. Autem dolores numquam libero ea sit officiis fugiat numquam.

Quos ea dolorem architecto deserunt. Unde alias voluptas qui. Perferendis est dignissimos omnis suscipit delectus quia. Aut illum neque commodi voluptatibus.

Non omnis officia dignissimos delectus. Quia nulla facere nam suscipit praesentium. Magni quae harum commodi sapiente ut quam quisquam. Neque dolor optio perferendis rerum et rerum.

Nostrum voluptas velit nihil ipsam. Quas sed ipsam reprehenderit praesentium. Qui accusamus quas voluptatum in hic.

Saepe quasi sit quo quasi sint dolore. Ut atque nam enim in.

Quod facilis dolorem laudantium dicta. Voluptatem temporibus dolor repellat voluptate sed similique vero. Modi molestiae consequatur molestiae quia tempore qui. Recusandae fugit ut magni nobis delectus aut omnis. Nisi sit qui magni molestias et modi. Voluptate laborum minus veniam exercitationem.

Pariatur natus asperiores ex dolor amet. Molestiae aperiam qui odit tenetur et et dolor. Ut impedit omnis numquam consectetur enim. Iste reiciendis voluptatem a minima iste delectus dolorem. Vitae tenetur tenetur nemo facilis autem consequatur omnis. In reprehenderit voluptatum et nesciunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”