No, basically a question was asked on the exam and my answer is very similar to one of those online resource websites where you ask an “expert” to help you answer

If you are 100% confident, then tell TA or prof whoever. If you are suspicious about it, give me another test and have me on your zoom whilst doing it.

100% this but this only works if you STICK TO YOUR STORY, so make sure it’s solid and you don’t deviate from it even in the slightest.

"I was under the impression that this meant online searches were fair game as well"

"I did not even know that website was out there"

Def don't say the first one, third one is better. I'm just confused though since you said you "thought online searches were fair game?" Did you actually look up the question?

Definitely don't go with 1. Ignorance of the law doesn't excuse you from it. I think along the lines of 3 is the best, say that you didn't use any resources, but in preparation for the hearing you found resources online and they all showed similar steps, albeit yours were completely different and much more thorough. That being said, I don't know what class this is in or your exact situation, and it seems like these tribunals are guilty until proven innocent so best of luck

Deny. Never admit anything. You did nothing wrong.

You practiced for the exam and performed to the best of your ability. What course was this? If it was a quantitative exam I’d laugh them out of them room. Tbh, almost all exams are standardized to the point you can expect similarity.

And don’t agree to any nonsense like doing another exam. And don’t let administration bully or scare you. Make it clear you’ll take this to the ombudsman office, as this can impact your reputation and mental wellbeing.

FinConnoisseur:
And don’t agree to any nonsense like doing another exam. And don’t let administration bully or scare you. Make it clear you’ll take this to the ombudsman office, as this can impact your reputation and mental wellbeing.

Don't make threats like that, you are much more likely to turn a professor who is mildly annoyed that you cheated in the exam but generally busy with other things into one who will be fully invested in pursuing your case.

I guess it should be clarified, be tactical and persuasive. don’t go guns blazing, but remember you have options so don’t get frightened into admitting anything. deny to the grave imo but don’t ever do anything like this again OP. it’s not worth the hassle, it’s easier just to learn the material then to cheat

Controversial

Get the f out off here. Wt is “may have”. You looked it up, cheated, and crawled back to your beloved wso to cry about it. Ppl like u are the reason why this industry takes so much shit with bad rep. Bye bye to whatever banker dream you have.

Had a similar issue at my school, the only kids that got in trouble were the ones that turned themselves in and admitted to do it. It is very difficult to prove someone did something like this, and unless you straight up plagiarized the only way they can punish is if you admit to it.

Array

Basically #2, but you don't have to admit that you saw the site before. Just say maybe you've seen it a long time ago, you don't know, who remembers every site they visit? You're not responsible for remembering the source of every contributor to your understanding of the subject. Just say "whoever wrote that solution sure does seem to think like me, hell maybe I even saw that site a while back. I don't know"

In weighing what to do keep in mind that what might look to you like an arguable case may look pretty blatant to your professor and whatever appeals tribunal who will review it. It's not a beyond reasonable doubt standard here. If you go with denying it, there's no chance of lenient treatment. Whether that's possible and what repercussions you face depends a lot on the particular process at your college.

Update: Let’s presume that the school has pretty irrefutable proof that I did access this site during the test (don’t ask me how, as this will hurt my anonymity)

I believe the only option now is to come clean and say that I legitimately thought I was allowed to use the internet. The professor never specified that the internet was off limits, and I assumed “open book”, meant anything was fair game, short of having someone else do the problems for me.

Also working in my favor is that fact that my answers are not the exact same as those that are online, but show additional steps and explanations that show I do indeed know what I’m doing/the steps that need to be taken.

Thoughts?

I do not. I go to school in the south. Won’t elaborate any further for obvious reasons.

You don't do tests through Blackboard? I don't get how they would know what sites you were on unless they had you install something or there was an online proctor. My spanish professor lied that she could see every application we had open when we were in a zoom session lol so make sure they aren't bluffing. If they 100% know you went on the site, plead ignorance and explain that you thought you didn't think what you were doing was wrong because it's a gray area. Be remorseful. If there isn't actual proof that you viewed the site, I would say deny it because your answer is not exactly the same and it's a math problem ffs.

Thanks definitely helpful! They do 100% know I accessed the site. I think the move now is to own up to it and say that I thought I was allowed to use the internet.

The good news is that for first time violators the penalty is usually just failing the test/getting a significant grade deduction (ex: A to B-). I have not heard of any extremely serious consequences unless the cheating was egregious. This grade penalty also doesn’t go on my official record/transcript so not the end of the world.

Not sure about that. I didn’t use my name to register, but IP address definitely traces back to my house/my computer.

Also, disciplinary hearings are not really the same as proving beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law, it’s just a majority vote by faculty, who are likely to side with the accusing professor unless there is a good amount of evidence proving innocence.

Get a VPN dude to change your IP address and keep using this one for future exams. If they ever ask what’s your IP supply them the one from your VPN.

Also very much doubt that a website can give a list of IP addresses to a random university for them to match it with the IP addresses from students taking an online exam. At least in Europe that wouldn’t be allowed.

Ok dude this may also save you - did it few times when handing assignments late.

Google around, there is a trick to email something as if sent previously with outlook. change your phone date, take screenshots of your phone, self email them to you with the trick. Now you have evidence that you have accessed this website to prepare ahead of the test, no questions asked - you have just done a solid prep and the exam having already seen the same question. You could even argue that you have printed these screenshots as thought they were highly relevant for the exams as X/Y/Z problem sheets thus you had them in front of you as allowed with open book exams.

Could work, won’t hurt to try. The issue is if they really do have my IP address accessing the site while I was taking the test, then that kind of disproves everything.

You might think they have 100% proof. My school did something similar and scared so many people that they could prove everything. I almost fell for it as well, because it was so convincing. Turns out, they did not have anything at all, but so many people admitted to it. So I am not sure, seems to me that the game is played on both sides. Students cheated, and the school knows, so they "cheat" to make you believe they have proof.

Yes me neither. I am a finance/cyber security double major. As far as my knowledge goes, a court order is needed, and those usually take up to 30 days. Then the school would need to get through all that data, which is an enormous amount. Lastly, they would have to match all the records with the kids taking the exams. To do all of this, a large amount of time and IT resources is needed, not sure if a university has that.

Are you at Boston U? This sounds exactly like what's going on with Chegg or whatever the website was having released IP addresses.

Officia quidem debitis dolor aut sequi totam cum. Adipisci dolorum modi repellendus voluptatum perspiciatis. Praesentium commodi modi ut esse rerum ipsam.

Reprehenderit est dolor vel ullam consequatur. Dolorem quo aut esse tempore. Modi aut ipsam sint soluta hic et. Dolor velit sequi consequatur at et dolorem voluptates inventore. Autem et adipisci itaque facilis qui dolorum.

Aut error sed perspiciatis praesentium consequatur quas maiores in. Omnis id dolor cum recusandae officiis. Ea facilis voluptas quas quis laborum laborum suscipit. Et est similique natus quae voluptas aut non. Veritatis voluptatum aut et velit consequuntur.

Voluptatibus et voluptas et. Ea minima ullam perspiciatis. Voluptatum facere vel autem tempora. Voluptas voluptatem possimus quae odit architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”