Reached out to HR of the bank I will be doing 2020 SA (Chicago) at and they said the following,

"At this time, we don't anticipate any impact to the internship program and we will continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure the health and safety of all current, and future employees."

Obiviously, situation is fluid and changing fast so take that with a grain of salt but just thought I would provide this to help quell some anxiety we're all feeling...

Funniest

Barclays will have an internship even if someone dumps anthrax and weaponized smallpox in their air vents.

got an email that things are still going as planned (no change to start date) and prior to that they gave us a travel survey

My BB sent info about group placement with no mention whatsoever of the virus or any delays just as if everything was normal so I highly doubt SA programs will be affected by June. I do think universities will definitely remain closed through the rest of the semester. The humid and hot weather in the summer should begin to mitigate the harm.

Intern in :
The humid and hot weather in the summer should begin to mitigate the harm.

Sorry, but what are you basing things on? The consensus opinion from the medical community is that no one actually knows. Sure, there are fewer cases in the southern hemisphere, but only 10-11% of the population is in the southern hemisphere. South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, Australia, SoCal, Florida, Louisiana, etc all have outbreaks so suggesting that this will be curbed by warm/humid weather is not accurate.

I happen to agree that internships will probably go on, but because we are working to "flatten the curve" now, not because it will just go away when things warm up.

GS in APEJ still going on, seems from the email that was sent that if something changes it would be the start date. They have also been collecting info about travel plans before the starting date.

A friend told me that PJT sent out an email today saying that as of right now they're planning on moving forward as planned and will be in touch if anything changes, but noted that they originally said they'd send out information with regard to onboarding at some point in late February/early March, whereas the email today said that will be coming out at the beginning of April.

Yeah if anyone has any insight into the EBs or industry specific boutiques that would be helpful.

Can confirm my friend is an incoming analyst at BAML. HR called about logistical stuff prior to starting, and they asked about any changes. Confirmed they aren’t anticipating any changes for FT as of now but will keep everyone updated as they monitor

I got an email about training flights, etc 2 days ago so it seems like no changes so far -- my question was do you think they'd hire smaller analyst classes / give less return offers based on the current state of the market

The junior interns should be fine, they need analysts each year so most of them should be getting returns. Would be worried if I were a soph though. They could let go a few just to cut down on lower fees they are going to get this summer.

barclays is forcing people to work with multiple confirmed cases in the nyc office

Most Helpful

Realistically no one knows what is going to happen, things are changing extremely rapidly. Do not trust any memo from HR at this point - it's not that they are being misleading but they just don't know. Of course they are going to give lip service at this point, technically at this exact moment based on what they know the programs are still on. However, IB is about to get hit extremely hard, no deals are getting done at these collapsed valuations and no leveraged financing is going to get announced in the near term. Ideally things are shut down for a few weeks and this is a blip on the radar.

To give you an example of how fluid things are, as of last Wednesday most people were still in the office. On Thursday for example, my friend at Guggenheim said they were going to be splitting the bank into two teams with one alternating working from home every other week. By Saturday (less than 48 hours later), this plan was completely nixed and now it is mandatory work from home.

Quaneaser:
However, IB is about to get hit extremely hard, no deals are getting done at these collapsed valuations and no leveraged financing is going to get announced in the near term.

Separate topic: how does coronavirus and a potential recession in 2020 affect IB and PE? Doesn't a recession prompt heavy M&A activity?

Reading this Twitter thread, PE appears quite optimistic:

• Buddy who works in PE consulting said that things have gotten super busy; I quote: “PE funds are circling like vultures for buying opportunities.

• PE needed this. Values were absurd and $$ over supplied. Some smaller shops will choke violently on what they swallowed during the buffet. Although, lender structures have grown weak, so few covenants to force change, so it’s about cash. ABL shops were trolling me for deals today

• Trillions of dry power, multiples down, rates almost zero - pretty obvious no?

On the other hand:

• PE guy here. We're getting f*cked.

i attribute a 0% chance you're at anything bigger than a lower-middle market PE shop. What you said is not wrong, but also not right. 0% rates means also means debt investors have 0% appetite to be lending their capital at such low rates of return. I really doubt their costs of capital have changed, and having a near-zero return target would make no sense. If you're a credit fund, you hold off, and without that money, there's no lending thus no LBOs.

For all of you complaining about potentially having remote internships, it is a little bit pathetic.

All of Wall Street is remote right now. Literally every bank and buyside firm. We are all still getting our shit done. Get over it and just accept that the world has changed.

Your internship will not be canceled, but it may be remote - stop complaining and get in the same boat as the rest of us! Trust me, we will still be able to evaluate who is good and who is not...

This may be a separate thread at some point, but many SA including myself have already paid for our housing. How should we go about dealing with getting money back or refunds if we are to stay in our hometowns for the internship process?

Reached out to HR of the bank I will be doing 2020 SA (Chicago) at and they said the following,

"At this time, we don't anticipate any impact to the internship program and we will continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure the health and safety of all current, and future employees."

Obiviously, situation is fluid and changing fast so take that with a grain of salt but just thought I would provide this to help quell some anxiety we're all feeling...

My MM bank (NYC) reached out to me about the timeline of group placement with no mentions of the virus. I reached out to the HR and they said that there are no changes at this point. But yeah, everything changes quickly, so I expect any outcome now.

bb in Toronto basically said that offers are not in jeopardy at all and that they are monitoring the situation and that the internship may look different than what was originally proposed. could mean remote or just a shortened internship . haven’t booked a place to stay yet cuz I’m not going down that potential nightmare

BAML sent out an email saying that they are "evaluating all options to ensure your safety while still providing a robust and quality experience." Seems like the internship will be delayed or remote at worst, which is a relief

Saw JPM cancelled an internship, anyone have any idea which one? Screenshot looked like MMBSI.

Update on Toronto FT For a BB: All is set to start in May currently. For anyone wondering, my buddy also got an email from a Big4 saying May start dates are still on.

I think Toronto internships and fulltime are going to be fine. U.S will likely be impacted. Especially NY which is supposed to see peak cases in May.

Controversial

Lol you guys have to realize HR is just toeing the party line as of now. This is massively bleeding into 2Q, if they think in a month that it'll go well into 3Q, you're most likely screwed. Sucks for you IB hardos but I don't feel any sympathy about it. One less banker in the world is a good thing as they're instead actually doing something productive otherwise

Damn, it feels good to have graduated 3yrs ago and working at a 50+y AM that has never instituted layoffs, including during GFS. Bring on the MS, the more your hardos downvote the funnier it is

Given most of our funds are beating their respective benchmarks by 600+bps (and the ones that aren't are at least 400+bps), yeah I'd say we're doing well. And how is AM productive? Because we grow assets for pension funds so that people can retire well, we grow assets for hospitals so they can fund treatments for diseases, we grow assets for college endowment funds so that they can offer scholarships.

All of this we know because the allocators who give us capital send us letters every year stating what the capital we grew was used for. So yes, AM is doing something very productive, esp. if geared towards institutional capital. Compared to IB M&A, where studies have proven that 2/3 of M&A fail in their intended purpose, yes, AM is adding value while IB is destroying value. No need to get defensive because your job is a net negative to society.

One would think making 60 slide powerpoint decks all day every day and editing them a couple dozen times would make you realize that just maybe, the job is pointless, but maybe not lol

Baml has sent ALL its employees home in EMEA, at best SA will be remote if things keep going this way. Team head in UK has told us that he expects between 2-3 months until all goes normal. And at that point, people would be divided in 2 teams, office and WFH.

alternatives as in remote , change in dates or potentially guaranteed full time return offers ? :)

Its funny to hear interns about guaranteed full time offers, no serious bank will do that. Best case you get another chance Next summer or another internship when everything is gone

heard visas were cancelled from some UWO guys I know going to nyc

Even if the Summer continues, at the current pace, there won't be any conversion anyways.

no bank is going to risk not having 1st yr analysts unless it's already drowning like DB or UBS

Our 2nd year analysts are all leaving for PE... of course we plan to make FT hires of our summer analysts, are you kidding? This year's summers = next year's 1st years = 2022's second years. Pretty sure the world will need Analysts in 2021-2022

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

Thank you for pointing this simple fact out. Too many seem to missing the point and really think incoming SA’s would be left with nothing or that direct conversions to FT are impossible despite nearly every BB/EB converting 80%+ of their entire class in the US for the last decade.

My bank reached out today saying FT and SA offers all still stand and everything is going on as planned for now. Said if things change, they will be doing everything possible to ensure we still have a good experience with SA and a good start for FT.

Everyone stop posting what you "heard". helps absolutely no one and is almost always not accurate.

Same here. My bank also started doing visas; the thinking here could be that if the banks weren’t expecting summer internships to happen, they wouldn’t bother with the whole visa process and the costs/troubles that come with it.

Saw on LinkedIn that Lloyd's canceled their SA? Not my bank and know it isn't IB but what do people think? Does that bode badly for other programmes (i.e. will other banks follow suit)?

Does anyone know if any departments would be completely safe from FT and SA cancelation? For example, I would imagine restructuring and commercial banking might be safe, given the increase in business due to the recession.

On the other side, will banks cancel FT and SA across the company regardless of department?

If internships are cancelled by banks, there's a good chance that it won't be because of the financial situation but rather the physical limitations due to things like needing to work from home. Physical limitations exist for all departments, so I don't think any would be safe in that case. Hoping it does not come to that though.

What specifically would make commercial banking safe? I thought a recession would hit the middle market clients of commercial banks particularly hard compared to larger firms served by IB/DCM/ECM groups

It took China a bit over 1.5 month from day 1 of the outbreak to 0 new cases. As long as the government steps up on strict virus containment, we will be fine by June. I know the situation seems horrible right now, but it will get better I guess.

I wouldn't take that as an example cuz 1. You can't trust China where the government tried to hide and manipulate the outbreak for 2 months at the beginning. 2. China and South Korea's approach was far away from the democracy, they forced people to stay home and they pulled out those with symptoms and put them in a separate place from the others. I don't think this is the case in Europe or in the US. In the meantime the kids are still having fun out there without realizing that it's a big problem...https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1240354656494268419?s=20

In the exact situation with a housing deposit at NYU lol -- seems like they're still a go as of rn according to their coronavirus update. we have until may 1st to pull our depsit with only a $125 loss so i'm gonna wait until then and the situation will hopefully be clearer

My BB said they will make sure interns complete our internship (even if they need to conduct the internship in an alternative way).

Let’s just say if 2020 summer internship got cancelled (highly unlikely), I believe banks would still come up with something else (off-cycle internship, fast track FT interviews etc.)

Intern in ER:
My BB said they will make sure interns complete our internship (even if they need to conduct the internship in an alternative way).

Let’s just say if 2020 summer internship got cancelled (highly unlikely), I believe banks would still come up with something else (off-cycle internship, fast track FT interviews etc.)

Which BB is this?

Fugiat et eius sunt neque aut est. Quia qui dolor quis voluptatem et. Quia quis itaque beatae aut quisquam. Quam ea doloremque adipisci voluptatem autem. Veritatis veniam delectus autem totam sint et. Sit quae vel at aut.

Ullam accusamus dolor qui est ea. Voluptate vel officiis harum tenetur deleniti molestiae labore corporis. In ut non modi fugit assumenda praesentium. Eveniet iure eius aut voluptatem saepe. Enim magni animi hic velit dolor ut et. Earum dolore deserunt incidunt distinctio maiores quia.

Deleniti nobis perspiciatis doloribus. Eos maxime iste esse ullam. Omnis rerum quaerat quisquam consequatur tempore. Rerum recusandae qui qui ipsa vitae.

Et in aliquid accusantium sit odio. Optio eveniet non excepturi fuga id. Delectus eaque aliquam quae. Optio libero quia quod sed.

Libero reiciendis est sapiente qui. Possimus cupiditate est voluptatem voluptatem earum optio. Placeat omnis et fugit facilis dolore enim aut.

Eum alias et eos quia mollitia quis itaque. In reiciendis pariatur nostrum ut nisi. Aliquam adipisci voluptatem voluptatem ratione laboriosam enim.

Eum molestias maxime quaerat ea ipsa. Porro quia eum eos. Aut maxime assumenda vel et deserunt pariatur est. Facilis aperiam incidunt dolor quam nesciunt. Vero quidem nemo et fugiat impedit quod. Distinctio animi ut laboriosam rem.

Sed perspiciatis dolorem aliquid et. Qui quas sit et qui dolore commodi. Deserunt tempora eum quas molestiae saepe sit mollitia. Enim nobis architecto ut est repellat ea. Ut non repellat sunt dolor quae.

Minus aut architecto rem rerum. Doloribus velit in sint dolorem est animi omnis. Deserunt occaecati in ut natus sunt aperiam ad. Et distinctio placeat porro.

Doloribus aut ut ad reprehenderit reiciendis sequi voluptate. Perferendis et cum voluptatum voluptatibus quidem qui veniam. Fugit necessitatibus explicabo quas quia est. Rerum maiores id enim maxime temporibus quos.

Ut minima id architecto provident. Optio nesciunt eos voluptas fugit minima recusandae minima accusantium. Veniam maxime molestias odit sed cum qui incidunt. Deserunt odit accusamus exercitationem recusandae. Culpa qui suscipit autem repudiandae nisi quisquam quos. Quibusdam nulla eum doloribus dolorem architecto. Reiciendis amet recusandae possimus at.

Et quam fugit praesentium eaque. Ullam facilis tenetur ut cupiditate et ut. Alias omnis incidunt sit voluptatum eum qui earum. Non occaecati veniam dicta consequatur quia. Dolor mollitia non cumque est. Dolorem iusto omnis natus veritatis et expedita sunt.

Sit voluptatem magni facere vero autem praesentium occaecati vel. Similique laudantium numquam corporis ipsa adipisci dolor. Eos corrupti ut aut modi at.

Sit ut voluptas eos. Ad quos nesciunt est odio repellat. Dicta nihil nesciunt ratione repellat.

Neque sunt praesentium et repudiandae. Quidem placeat ut exercitationem molestias. Reprehenderit nisi vitae facere corrupti et repellendus.

Ratione vel non natus deleniti asperiores provident. Non consequuntur voluptatibus autem impedit ea dicta velit. Accusamus consequatur non velit id qui consequatur.

Est enim dolores ullam sed quos quia. Praesentium autem dolore labore enim qui nam. Aperiam et voluptatem et omnis. Sint veritatis dolore et ipsa rerum cumque aut.

Pariatur aliquid sit dicta cum. Sunt non voluptatem dolorem et omnis aliquam aspernatur. Dicta cum ullam iste. Alias temporibus impedit magni architecto voluptas dolor deleniti.

Consequatur optio perspiciatis distinctio voluptates eos. Provident omnis quia quae natus architecto dolorem. Sunt esse quis nihil corrupti nostrum non. A a omnis autem necessitatibus et neque laborum.

Sit non et iusto. Alias et commodi iste a saepe. Nihil hic sint et fuga.

Aliquid dolorum soluta incidunt cupiditate. Id perferendis ullam quisquam. Natus illo et et ut. Eos illo ducimus itaque rerum harum consequatur sint.

Eius porro repudiandae numquam porro error. Quos odio consequatur amet eligendi et sit.

Tempora rem dolor tempore quo consequuntur assumenda et. Hic sed blanditiis dolores nihil et. Et neque omnis perferendis id eveniet ut molestias. Id natus perspiciatis sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”