2020 San Francisco Summer Housing

I didn't see any threads on this for next summer, so I wanted to start one. I'll be in San Francisco next summer, and I wanted to see everyone's opinions on the best places to stay as an intern. I'd love to hear where everyone stayed this last summer, what you liked about the place, what you didn't like, etc.

Feel free to use this as a place to find roommates as well. I know that people usually start looking for housing in the spring, but I wanted to start this anyway. PM if you're looking for a roommate, I'd be down to discuss with you.

Comments (34)

• Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 24, 2019

Also wondering!

• Analyst 2 in IB - Ind
Nov 24, 2019

Main tips are don't stay in the Tenderloin (bad part of SF) and don't stay super far away from work because you never know when you might have to come into the office and get your work done. You'll understand how important those extra 30 minutes (or more depending on traffic) are when you start working (especially at a bank with brutal hours).

Nov 25, 2019

Lived in an AirBnb in SOMA last summer. Was about a 25 minute walk (10 minute uber) to the office which was nice. Look soon as they go quick

Nov 26, 2019

How much per month?

Nov 28, 2019

It definitely wasn't cheap, close to $2,500/month but fully furnished/utilities included and good location so it was definitely a trade-off.

Nov 25, 2019

Will also be in SF for 2020. Interested in an Airbnb for June and July as those are the only two months I am working.

I am from the Palo Alto area (about an hour south of SF) and am also considering staying at home. My company will pay for ubers back but I really don't know how I feel about spending two hours daily on commute if I'm going to work late. Not sure how late I will be working (MM IB) but assuming it will be long. Anyone whose commuted from the bay to SF have any advice?

In the mean time am interested in learning more about staying in the city.

Nov 28, 2019

One of our MDs commuted from over the Bay Bridge and said it took him over an hour to get 3 miles in the morning with traffic so I would not recommend commuting. As an intern you always need to be within 30 minutes of the office since you won't have work from home capabilities. I would live in the city near FiDi.

Nov 28, 2019

I'd be on a train, but you're right on weekends going up for an hour would be asbolutely ass. I'd also want to be close to the social scene. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap housing?

Nov 26, 2019

Also looking into this a lot. I found that most apartments are unfurnished and therefore not the best option. UC Berkeley has a place called "Panoramic Apartments" which is close to the financial district and "affordable", but the reviews are very negative.

Is Airbnb really the best option?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 26, 2019

Bump. Also wondering.

Nov 28, 2019

There are some Airbnbs that I found would be around 1500-2000 per month. I'm only working June and July. if there's anyone who'd be down to split an airbnb for that cheap for those months please hit my line and we can try and sort out roommates

• Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 28, 2019

Would this be near FiDi?

Nov 29, 2019

I think they were in the NobHill area ish which isn't too far

• Intern in Other
Nov 29, 2019

Would anyone recommend living in Berkeley and commuting in via the BART?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 29, 2019

That's a bad idea

Nov 29, 2019

Someone told me the same and I looked into it and didn't seem like it was a good idea

Nov 29, 2019

Someone told me the same and I looked into it and didn't seem like it was a good idea

Nov 29, 2019

Does anyone know the good neighborhoods 15 min walking near FiDi?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 30, 2019

Wondering the same

Nov 30, 2019

Looking at crime stats (lol) it seems the best areas would be North, or West of Fidi. Nob Hill looks like a good location.

Nov 29, 2019

PM me if anyone is interested in rooming somewhere within walking distance of FiDi

• Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 30, 2019

PM'd

Dec 2, 2019

The chinatown area is pretty close to FIDI and you can find some affordable airbnbs

Dec 3, 2019

Do you guys think living 20-25 minutes away is good enough?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Dec 3, 2019

Depends how far from a station.

Dec 3, 2019

20-25 from the place to work. This already includes the walk to station etc... lol

• Intern in IB-M&A
Dec 3, 2019

Is it recommended to live with some of your co-interns or does that not matter? Just wondering.

Dec 3, 2019
Comment
  • Intern in IB-M&A
Dec 3, 2019