2020 San Francisco Summer Housing

I didn't see any threads on this for next summer, so I wanted to start one. I'll be in San Francisco next summer, and I wanted to see everyone's opinions on the best places to stay as an intern. I'd love to hear where everyone stayed this last summer, what you liked about the place, what you didn't like, etc.

Feel free to use this as a place to find roommates as well. I know that people usually start looking for housing in the spring, but I wanted to start this anyway. PM if you're looking for a roommate, I'd be down to discuss with you.

Main tips are don't stay in the Tenderloin (bad part of SF) and don't stay super far away from work because you never know when you might have to come into the office and get your work done. You'll understand how important those extra 30 minutes (or more depending on traffic) are when you start working (especially at a bank with brutal hours).

Will also be in SF for 2020. Interested in an Airbnb for June and July as those are the only two months I am working.

I am from the Palo Alto area (about an hour south of SF) and am also considering staying at home. My company will pay for ubers back but I really don't know how I feel about spending two hours daily on commute if I'm going to work late. Not sure how late I will be working (MM IB) but assuming it will be long. Anyone whose commuted from the bay to SF have any advice?

In the mean time am interested in learning more about staying in the city.

Is it recommended to live with some of your co-interns or does that not matter? Just wondering.

I'm also doing IB SA in SF from the beginning of June through the first week of August and would be interested in finding a roommate, anyone feel free to pm me if potentially interested

Most Helpful

Alright listen up everyone, I'm about to drop some knowledge, here's the rough neighborhood guide.

East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley): Places here will be cheaper, but parts of Oakland can be dangerous and even Berkeley can be a little sketchy as well. The only way I'd take a place here is if you're within a 5-10min walk of a Bart station and you do some vetting on the surrounding area. The Bart is one of the main commuter trains, but it gets crowed and needs to go under the bay and is often prone to delays. It's also a pretty shitty train (sometimes literally). Unless money is a huge issue, I'd avoid. With that being said, there are some nice areas in Berkeley/Oakland.

South Bay (Palo Alto, Menlo, Mountain View): Can't go too wrong in any of these. Avoid anything in East Palo Alto. Otherwise, all super nice suburbs. Having a car is helpful or if you're at a tech company, a shuttle close by. Nightlife will be lame, if you want to make trips into the city, make sure you're near the Caltrain station. Caltrain is kind of an Amtrak lite for East Coasters. It's a nice train that runs North South from SF down to San Jose. Oh one thing to add here, I'd avoid living in San Jose. Nightlife is awful, it's a bleak and depressing city in my opinion. People get tricked into thinking that it's a large city and that it'll be fun... it just isn't. Oh and make sure to swing by the Rosewood hotel at some point, Thursday night is Cougar night, drop by on a Thursday and you'll see what I mean.

Regarding places in SF that I'd live:

Marina/Cow Hollow: Far from any of the downtown offices, but the most fratty/sorority-y place in the city. Lots of mediocre bars, but things are relatively close together and it has a campus like feel. I'd live here if you live to party and want to prioritize that during the summer. It's also pretty expensive, but close to the water and you'll get some good views.

Russian Hill/Nob Hill: I lump these two together, because they're right next to each other and are kind of the same vibe. These are some of the higher points in the city and have a few apartment complexes (not a ton of these in SF). These are nice areas, more upscale, but not a ton in terms of bars/nightlife directly nearby. With that being said, it does't matter much, but don't expect to walk right outside and have a lot of things at your disposal. You'll have to walk/uber. These are good areas for the summer because depending on where you work, you could be walking distance to the office.

Tenderloin: Avoid at all cost. Will be cheap, but is sketchy.

North Beach: Also a good area, SF's informal red light district, so a little edgier that a nob hill/russian hill, but a slightly more fun vibe. Also pretty close to downtown and might be walkable to the office.

SOMA: Lots of startups here and newer apartment compelxes (which is why SOMA has been mentioned above so frequently). SOMA has decent places to live and is home to a lot of SF's newer startups. The buildings will be nice, but the surrounding area is so-so and usually pretty dead on the weekends (depending one exactly where you are in SOMA). I'd argue you're not really part of the city if you're on like 8th and Brannan, but overall, fine place to live for the summer.

Those are honestly the big ones off the top of my head. Hayes Valley is also awesome, nice little street of restauratns and bars, close to public transit, but probably fewer housing options here for the summer. Kind of a grown up Marina.

Mission: Fine as well, a little grungier, 16th and Mission isn't dangerous persay, but lots of homeless people milling around, 24th and mission is a little better. The Mission district in general is gritter which some love and some hate. Food is pretty good and there are some fun bars too.

Outer Sunset/Outer Richmond: Avoid, they're just too far. Inner Sunset/Richmond are ok and if you're really on a budget, these will be ok areas to live if you're close to a transit line and ok with a little more of a commute.

Dogpatch/Potrero, kind of a farther SOMA. Definetly worth visiting during the summer, cool wineries/breweries and a few good spots to eat. Don't go too far south though, Bayview is kind of like the tenderloin, I'd avoid it.

Noe Valley: Family oriented neighborhood, super quiet, nice restaurants, probably not where you want to live for the summer, but it's nice.

Castro: The gay district, if people talk about going out in the Castro, you're 100% going to a gay bar, just an FYI.

Avoid bringing your car if you can. Will cost a couple hundred bucks/month to park it and likely be broken into at least once or twice if parked on the street. Car theft is highly common in SF. Upside is there’s lot to do outside the city (Tahoe, Marin, Yosemite), but I’d avoid it if possible given the cost.

Et corporis qui est quia illum explicabo voluptate. Illum laborum eius aliquam ea harum velit delectus explicabo. Dolores ut sed consequatur sint libero ipsam. Ipsum consequatur aut deleniti error sapiente et quis. Sit quae aperiam nisi quia placeat. Enim eos quaerat voluptates eum. Reprehenderit maiores unde aut corporis quisquam voluptatum.

Tempore cumque molestias impedit est qui. Deleniti omnis fugiat dolore. Molestiae laboriosam quia pariatur dolor tempora ullam repudiandae. Enim dolore sed sed nulla nisi omnis.

Eum occaecati sint quo qui et voluptates. Voluptatem sunt voluptatibus necessitatibus et. Voluptatem illum est minima odio eos et. Consequatur sit nostrum id. Suscipit et doloremque corrupti illum numquam.

Hic doloremque quo ipsum non similique sit. Vel vel quia doloremque sit commodi voluptas libero. Molestias numquam omnis sed nulla. Laborum id ut eius rerum vitae earum dolorum. Veniam quia excepturi ducimus libero error repellat.

Laudantium adipisci tempore voluptatibus reprehenderit officiis doloremque. Dicta dolorem voluptatem est perspiciatis animi. Quidem sed voluptas et impedit. Atque vero dicta et ut eos voluptas. Laborum non qui maxime.

Aut rerum optio deleniti et dolores. Animi dolores et adipisci et. Voluptatibus odio et fuga ut amet et aut eos. Qui rerum ut commodi porro perspiciatis laboriosam corrupti numquam.

Et vel eum tempora consectetur laboriosam voluptatem. Voluptatem libero ratione recusandae rem molestiae. Ex veritatis ad aut consequatur enim. Cupiditate et sint et tempore neque qui autem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”