2021 FT Analyst Living in Chicago

Just accepted an offer in Chicago, making between 60K-70K. I've seen some posts mention neighborhoods in Lincoln Park, West Loop, etc. I'm not from the area and have limited knowledge on rents and just living in the city in general. Any tips for housing and getting accustomed to living in Chicago?

Most Helpful

Using the Loop as your reference point for most of this. I'll caveat that i'm a more recent transplant, about two years have lived there - There's so many cool neighborhoods like ukranian village, logan square, etc. that i haven't experienced. Below some general thoughts from where I looked at and/or lived:

Further away from the loop, to the north of the downtown - Wrigley field (and Wrigleyville generally), Lakeview, Lincoln park, etc. Lincoln park is a really nice area - there's some affordable stuff there (also very expensive stuff - but whatever). Bus lines and CTA lines down into the city - also get proximity to the lake which is awesome in the summer.

As you get closer to the loop, again from the north, you have the gold coast, streeterville, river north - gold coast is largely IMO older money so I'd avoid that at the start

River north is the 'hot' neighborhood - it's walk able (generally) into the loop for work, tons of bars, nightlife, premium buildings with tons of amenities... with prices to boot. If you have a roommate or two, the costs won't be astronomical but if you are trying to live by yourself, we lived in a convertible (think one bedroom minus a bedroom door) that was ~2400 a month by the time we were done with utilities, etc. On the plus side, though, you have tons of access to the river walk - access to the loop - access to the lake as well, and all are generally walk able depending on, of course, weather. The one downside is depending on where you are, a lot of tourist traffic since Michigan avenue isn't too far off.

West loop - think extremely yuppie. People who outgrew river north or similar, moved to the west loop. Cool neighborhood. Lots of food. Less high rises - more mid rise type living (although there are certainly high rises). Really fucking expensive, although I'll note that my view is in about 6 months it will be less expensive. On par with river north, or worse honestly depending on the buildings. Issue with the west loop is that you generally are further away from the lake front, etc. still very walk able into the loop. Live here currently - it's a nice area.

South Loop - somewhat similar to the other two, just... literally south of the loop. Easier access to all the museums, the park, lake front, etc. from here. Walk able into the loop. Prices are better than river north or west loop - less 'known' food spots but still plenty of stuff to do and proximity you are still close to everything. It's fine. They have a trader joe's so... that's good.

• Do not live in the loop. Just. Don't. Do. It. That's all.

• L is simple to navigate (the train), just know your general line colors. Blue goes to o'hare, orange to Midway airport. Brown/Purple/Red go north towards wrigley, etc. (red also goes south pretty far). Green goes from west (through west loop) all the way down south through mccormick center, etc. Pink.... takes you near a Costco. That's all I got there. Metra can take you down to University of Chicago.. probably other places. Bus system is actually pretty solid - learn those, cheap, easy, effective. Don't drive to O'hare at rush hour.

• My last tip is walk the city as much as you can. Get to know the neighborhoods, explore out the various CTA lines for new or cool areas - there's a lot to see/do, and it varies so much depending on where you are. Enjoy!

Omnis est quia dolorum enim quia. Sunt sequi molestiae dolorum delectus unde iusto. Dicta omnis odit quas a necessitatibus.

Fuga deserunt eveniet enim nesciunt rem. Cupiditate fuga qui sit voluptas. Rerum ab quisquam qui et iusto voluptate aut. Aut numquam rerum atque quasi ratione nobis et ea.

Nulla omnis fugiat dolore exercitationem rerum. Corporis ut ipsam voluptatem non vel fuga id. Quisquam porro dolor omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”