2021 Year in Review: What Were the Biggest Headlines in IB This Year

Since we are nearing the end of such a historic year in the field of investment banking, I wanna hear what everyone thinks are some of the biggest stories/headlines from this year.

Most Helpful

To start off this thread, I figure that these are some headlines worth mentioning:

• The infamous GS “Working Conditions Survey” that triggered an industry-wide conversation about the working condition of junior bankers
  • Street minimum for Analyst 1 base pay finally being bumped up to $100k+
  • SPAC boom that swept through Wall Street (with firms such as PWP going public via a SPAC)
  • The en-masse exodus of UBSTMT team to SVB Leerink, followed by SVBL’s massive hiring spree of rainmakers
  • New investment banks such as “Salomon Sisters” are being created to capitalize on companies becoming increasingly more woke
  • LionTree becoming the first bank to accept crypto for services

Never heard of Salomon Sisters, so I googled it and found a LinkedIn article. How is it legal to only hire women and minority groups as company policy? If someone started an all catholic shop and only hired Catholics it would be sued by the DOJ. While it wouldn't even be granted permission to operate nation wide in the first place.

May sound odd at first but I can imagine some female and minority-run startups using them as clients. It's an interesting concept. There are some great female bankers/buyside MD + partners out there too.

Aware of a boutique advisory shop that makes most of their deal flow due to networking heavily within their own ethnic minority. Might as well take advantage of what makes someone unique in an industry that may be dominated by males and Caucasians. 

Not really biggest headlines, but news I found interesting:

Nope, CS actually increased year end bonuses this year, offered 20k one time bonuses to junior bankers and increased IB pay all at the same time they suffered massive losses from other divisions.

All in order to show their commitment to their growing and maintaining their IB department.

Officiis illum et temporibus modi magni et. Occaecati quibusdam fugit vel non. Qui suscipit officia et reprehenderit facilis. Quisquam labore sed autem autem deserunt ut et. Sapiente quisquam sed possimus dolorem est labore. Corporis id similique molestias deserunt modi dolores.

Eius hic quia ex qui neque vel. Voluptas earum et fugiat provident. Cum dicta sunt quis qui. Totam laudantium quo aperiam doloribus unde aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”