230-250k; 50 hrs a week; promotion track; MBA? Switch to direct PE?

hi folks,

need your thoughts on the situation im facing.

background: did 3 years of banking, currently at a large pe fof (it's been almost a year)

work in the current gig is ok - some interesting direct deal exposures via co investment (although limited dd as mostly rely on the general partner's memo). pay/hour is great - getting 230-250k all in this year; work about 50 hrs a week.

Dilemma - after a year of the current work, want to switch back to direct investing.

Either i try to find another gig (believe i can still do it now), or i go back to b school. Another option is to stay put (as im already on the promotion track). just that don't want to be stuck in fof forever.

tough part is to give up the great work/life balance and great pay at the current firm. and also convince myself to spend all that money on b school and to face the possibility that post MBA my job won't be as good.

thoughts?

Fifty hours a week and a quarter mil? There aren't going to be many places where the grass is greener, so I wouldn't take the risk (not to mention the opportunity cost) of going through the MBA and getting stuck with something that's only marginally better, the same, or worse than what you have now. If you want to get back to direct deals, take your time and look around - you'll have plenty of time working 50 hours a week. I don't think an MBA makes sense for you - don't do it just because you feel like you're supposed to. Weigh the costs and benefits and the answer is a no brainer. Save the MBA for when you're ready to retire. I'm no expert on PE lateral transfers, but that's just my take on it.

Personally, no way I'd leave that position. Unless you REALLY have your heart set on direct investing as opposed to FoF. A lot of PE shops are still 2 and out, forcing many to go back to b-school. If you're on the promotion track, stay and get a MBA part-time -- I assume you're located in a major city since it's a large fund so there should be a good P-T option.

thanks a lot guys - makes sense. it's a good life right now but you know how it is you always think about other things. Like what if the longer i do it the more 'stuck' i am in it. esp. since fof skillset is not all that transferable. i was just thinking that as of now, 75% of my WC is still pretty hardcore corp fin/M&A. I do 'direct' deals now its not the same.. i just think im still quite young and don't want to just be so risk-adverse on career options. but yes money is good, and will get better (would say comparable to banking, maybe 10-20% different depends on the year). also job security is stellar.. so for the MBA i was hoping to beef up my creds a bit more and hopefully get into something even better..

personally i think your current comp is largely irrelevant to this decision.

as far as i can tell, exits from a FoF will be few and far between especially as you get older. you need to decide if you are comfortable doing what your boss (or his boss) does and if you're comfortable with their comp. if not then you should think about the best way to jump to a PE firm.

i don't know your stats but you are probably a good candidate for a top MBA program. that may be the most effective way to make the jump.

Doublebottomline yes you are spot on.

Im 27, went to a top 10 undergrad in the us, did 3 years of bb/elite boutique m&a.

Its a good firm but Im not sure if I want my bosses job, that's why I'm having all these doubts.

I think it's 3 options. Try to job to direct side now before it's too late or becomes impossible, or MBA next year then try to get into something better (although I'm not sure if I could find a direct gig that way, even mid market), or just suck it up and stay where I am and try to save up some cash and see what happens.

Actually the most immediate decision is MBA or not, I'm ready to apply this year and took the GMAT already. Its a risk I'm taking with the opportunity cost should I want to go for MBA (I'd be happy with wharton/Sloan/booth)..

It's a tough one man, especially consider that I could prob save close to 1mn in another 4 years without MBA (saved 300k so far)

justanotherday:
Doublebottomline yes you are spot on.

Im 27, went to a top 10 undergrad in the us, did 3 years of bb/elite boutique m&a.

Its a good firm but Im not sure if I want my bosses job, that's why I'm having all these doubts.

I think it's 3 options. Try to job to direct side now before it's too late or becomes impossible, or MBA next year then try to get into something better (although I'm not sure if I could find a direct gig that way, even mid market), or just suck it up and stay where I am and try to save up some cash and see what happens.

Actually the most immediate decision is MBA or not, I'm ready to apply this year and took the GMAT already. Its a risk I'm taking with the opportunity cost should I want to go for MBA (I'd be happy with wharton/Sloan/booth)..

It's a tough one man, especially consider that I could prob save close to 1mn in another 4 years without MBA (saved 300k so far)

i think you should first work the headhunters or your network and see if a move is possible. you will figure out quickly whether it's possible. if it looks very difficult, i would put in apps to top MBA programs in the first round.

your third option of just "seeing what happens" doesn't make sense to me. that's a big risk to take when a) you don't want to be there, and b) it's not an obvious stepping stone to where you want to be.

i know things like b-school cost, opportunity cost, etc. seem important but i don't think these numbers are meaningful when seen as a percentage of your earnings over the next 30 years of a career (especially in a lucrative field).

Best Response
justanotherday:
great points guys. actually just updated the resume.. networking is a good (and obvious) point. Other thoughts?

Let me make this as clear as I possibly can:

You have hit the fucking jackpot

You literally need to be insane to want to leave what you have. People in PE would straight up kill for your gig. Yeah, I'm sure the FoF side isn't as "interesting" as the direct investing side, but let's be clear, 50 hours a week for a quarter-million a year at 27 years old is staggering. It's literally a lifestyle job...except you didn't have to bust your ass for 30 years to get it and it pays a mint.

As someone who is finishing up a two year stint in middle market PE, I can say that my job has been interesting probably 50% of the time. It really depends on what you're covering. It can be fun to get in the weeds on a cool company, but it sucks to spend months doing due diligence on a boring ass business. Plus, it's basically always two-to-three years and out to B-School. After B-School, you've basically got to hope you can land a spot at a solid fund and get on the Partner track. Not as easy as it may sound, even with pre-MBA PE experience.

Now, I know you say you've got a bunch of cash saved up, but do you really want to dump a ton of that into b-school? And let me be clear, if you want to do direct PE investing for a career, you almost certainly will have to do B-School.

Why not, instead, keep at your current gig for a few more years, stock away a TON of personal capital, and then put it to work yourself? I mean, if you work 50 hours a week and have half a mil to work with, you can definitely get some legit cash flow investments going on the side. Invest in rental property, buy a gas station, do some real enterprising shit.

You are in a pretty unique position right now and I think you might be best served by trying to make the most of it. Trading the opportunities you have to jump back into the grind seems foolish to me.

Just my thoughts.

TheKing:
justanotherday:
great points guys. actually just updated the resume.. networking is a good (and obvious) point. Other thoughts?

You literally need to be insane to want to leave what you have. People in PE would straight up kill for your gig. Yeah, I'm sure the FoF side isn't as "interesting" as the direct investing side, but let's be clear, 50 hours a week for a quarter-million a year at 27 years old is staggering. It's literally a lifestyle job...except you didn't have to bust your ass for 30 years to get it and it pays a mint.

As someone who is finishing up a two year stint in middle market PE, I can say that my job has been interesting probably 50% of the time. It really depends on what you're covering. It can be fun to get in the weeds on a cool company, but it sucks to spend months doing due diligence on a boring ass business. Plus, it's basically always two-to-three years and out to B-School. After B-School, you've basically got to hope you can land a spot at a solid fund and get on the Partner track. Not as easy as it may sound, even with pre-MBA PE experience.

Now, I know you say you've got a bunch of cash saved up, but do you really want to dump a ton of that into b-school? And let me be clear, if you want to do direct PE investing for a career, you almost certainly will have to do B-School.

Why not, instead, keep at your current gig for a few more years, stock away a TON of personal capital, and then put it to work yourself? I mean, if you work 50 hours a week and have half a mil to work with, you can definitely get some legit cash flow investments going on the side. Invest in rental property, buy a gas station, do some real enterprising shit.

You are in a pretty unique position right now and I think you might be best served by trying to make the most of it. Trading the opportunities you have to jump back into the grind seems foolish to me.

Just my thoughts.

Exactly my thoughts. +1

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

TheKing:
justanotherday:

You literally need to be insane to want to leave what you have. People in PE would straight up kill for your gig. Yeah, I'm sure the FoF side isn't as "interesting" as the direct investing side, bbut let's be clear, 50 hours a week for a quarter-million a year at 27 years old is staggering. It's literally a lifestyle job...except you didn't have to bust your ass for 30 years to get it and it pays a mint.[/b]

Just my thoughts.

It seems that people on this forum have never used a simple tool like this:

money(dot)cnn(dot)com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Trust me! It's an eye opener. Believe it or not, there are industries out there are just as if not more lucrative than finance. There are 20-something year olds from non-target schools that graduated average in their classes that are living lavishly in places outside of Manhattan.

Senior software engineers in the defense sector in the Baltimore, MD area (not even management). The comp is pretty standard across all the defense contractors in the area:

• $140,000-$170,000/year (which is equivalent to $250,000+ in Manhattan)
  • 27+ paid vacation days
  • 10+ paid military leave days
  • differential pay if called to active duty
  • 100% reimbursement for language training or certifications related to career field
  • 40 hour work week

The sector is also very Reserve friendly. The above numbers don't even take into account the fact that these engineers could be stacking the following on top of their civilian compensation:

• Reserve military pay
  • Commissioned officer military retirement (almost 1/2 there)
  • Federal education benefits
  • State educational benefits
  • Extremely low cost insurance (USAA, etc.)
  • Access to best health care/insurance available, etc.

thanks guys very much - all make sense. the situation is kinda like dating - you've found a great girl, but the question is - is it the time to 'settle down'?... but yes going back to the 'grind' seems not a great idea at this point.

this whole cost of living calculation adjustment is a bunch of bs.

sure you can ball out on 100k a year in bumblefuck idaho, but therefore you also are in bumblefuck idaho...

its not like nyc is much higher cost of living vs everywhere else with no upside lol.

also this what % make it calcs are fucking retarded, it depends how good you are and how massive your edge is. there is no average banking analyst class.

DoubleBottomLine:
this thread is about a guy deliberating a jump from a fund-of-fund either to direct PE or business school.

wtf is this clown babbling about...deployments? clearances? baltimore? marine engineers? qualcomm?

i don't understand.

Seconded.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

NorthSider:
DoubleBottomLine:
this thread is about a guy deliberating a jump from a fund-of-fund either to direct PE or business school.

wtf is this clown babbling about...deployments? clearances? baltimore? marine engineers? qualcomm?

i don't understand.

Seconded.

it's pretty hilarious. look at some of his other posts - they all say the same shit. i honestly can't imagine taking the time to find an engineering forum, create an account, and then post about how my career (that is completely unrelated) is better.

FranciscoDAnconia:
Trying to picture what kind of military engineer spends his free time writing novels on a finance internet forum.

clearly asserted itself in the apparently meticulously intricate typing which was simultaneously a long unpunctuated nonsensical run on sentence and yet a photograph perfectly halftoned into dots shaped as letters of the alphabet no doubt generated by a cybernetic system that creates fractal branched sentences which never end but instead sort of parenthesize and go for a ways and then change course usually by going into detail in a tangential sort of stackpush that never pops but instead keeps zooming in yet another level each line or so like an infinite inwards motion that doesn’t even need punctuation and takes the reader on a one-way trip forwards into progressively refined images much like the incredible shrinking man or Fantastic Voyage except that it just keeps on going so actually the effect is more like the colored oilslick breakdowns in 2001 and if you could get the wave action of the text into just the right peristaltic contractions in sync with the eye and mind of the audience it could get pretty awesome like nanotech cities living on the bark of redwood trees in undulating valleys of forests on nonspherical fiberspace membranes extruded by femtopicotek nested-space 3.2-dimensional manifolds “bigger at the small end of the scale” provided you have senses which don’t peter out when things get subtle thus allowing you to encode information in the very borderlines of its very existence thus relying on the viewer’s idiosyncrasies more than on his common-ness because things which are on the edge of not being there at all are going to probably excite a set of simultaneous responses which don’t triangulate or intersect or agree or synergize in an unambiguated crisp singleness and are also somewhat partial and even flickering or dynamic or changing rapidly with time which requires their mind(s) to choose from a bifurcating multiplexing divergence of (mildly) resonant rapidly-evolving attractors forming a ghostly community of evaporatory cooperative “temporary friends” sharing fleeting memories because a localized continuity of thought is maintained on more than one level

Had no idea about the digression this tread had since posting exactly 1 year ago and thanks for all the contributions

a lot has happened since a year ago. First of all, i got engaged and am generally living a pretty good life. I have to say that getting engaged changes the state of mind quite a bit - all of a sudden you need to consider your significant other's role in your decision making.

job is going ok, nothing too dramatic. made $225k CY12, a bit less than expectation but hopefully this year will be north of $250k. got a base bump up to $140k

I will apply for MBA this year, and there's a chance that the company will sponsor. I think it'd be a win win if this happens. If not, depends on where i get in, I will decide whether to attend or not. what all of yall said about opp cost totally makes sense. also, there are so many people with MBA's, including some of my close friends. and when you see the sort of job they go into afterwards, sometimes its like why bother.. but one consistent feedback i get is that b school is hella fun

It hasn't been easy to swtich. I've gotten interviews, the closest one was a final round at a billion dollar hedge fund, but the rest hasn't been easy.

Interesting problem. Sounds similar to my position, except I probably have more flexibility in terms of exit ops.

Let's see. I'm 27. In front office doing deals. Making somewhere between $250k and $350k depending if it's a good year. Work hours of around 45 per week. Sufficient volume of work. Quite flexible hours - can have a long lunch if I wanted or leave early at 4pm if I needed to.

Most important thing is, work gives me flexibility to manage my other interests and I've built up a portfolio of various assets that generate something similar to my salary in terms of income (requires around 2 hours attendance per week, but at my own leisure).

So now I need to work out if I want to stay here for a bit longer and save another mil or so to increase my portfolio; go do something high powered like front office at a top end PE; quit and just play with my assets and keep growing my portfolio and travel the world for life. Something tells me the latter is what I want to do. But the former is sufficiently interesting that I think I have 2-3 more years to give, and maybe I can make a big bang before I exit paid employment.

Optio perspiciatis distinctio reprehenderit laborum aut dignissimos. Dolorem vitae voluptate dolorem laboriosam recusandae et aliquam maxime. Consectetur eum veritatis nostrum vel et nesciunt.

Aliquid aut recusandae et asperiores recusandae. Laudantium saepe voluptates ea deleniti blanditiis molestiae.

Voluptas omnis iure ratione est error. Fugit voluptas modi quod incidunt voluptas repudiandae et. At doloremque repellendus non maiores. Sit nisi ea optio aut sed ea.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Laudantium veniam officiis aliquam id molestiae. Voluptas quis sit aspernatur vitae non qui. Nobis labore rerum repellat et nemo veritatis asperiores. Nobis et fugiat voluptatem cupiditate sit. Fugiat perspiciatis voluptatem fugiat rerum est qui. Autem ipsum soluta quos molestiae.

Odio fugit qui qui labore voluptates rem. Sed est earum iure sit eveniet. Nulla nisi veniam possimus et enim ipsa illo. Facere est unde voluptatem aut consectetur. Sint officiis iure vel molestiae.

Nobis autem enim recusandae officiis eos provident ut. Dolorum qui sit eligendi ab sed atque. Ad assumenda autem quos quod eos. Ullam est et dolor et vero consequatur et. Voluptas eos qui rerum porro aut eaque animi.

Corrupti omnis ea sint ut commodi. Voluptatem cumque et beatae saepe voluptatum ut. Aut aut minima deleniti dolorum sed sunt in.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”