2.4 GPA - 760 GMAT - Interesting Stats

Would appreciate any help in regards to my chances of getting into a top 10 MBA Program:

Stats:
2.4 GPA (top 50 Uni - 4 years out of school)
760 GMAT
Started own NPO
Started own company out of college that grosses 2 m/yr and employs 5 people
Now in Sales/Relationship Management at large US Bank

I know the GPA is low but how much will my GMAT, EC's, and work experience help offset it? Chances of getting into a top 10?

Thanks again

Best Response

I'm not sure what I can add, in that I don't do the odds. Look at @"brj" above, he or she seems to have gotten into a good school with a sub-2.9GPA.

Frankly, I think it is tough. If anyone read the Economist last week they would have seen a chart that illustrates grade inflation, and I am afraid that makes all GPAs suspect. But it makes it even harder to imagine what one would have to do to get a 2.4, considering what the averages for undergraduate schools look like

That isn't to say that the OP isn't talented and smart. But what it does mean is that there's no real proof that the individual involved knows how to take a classroom seriously. And to quote Dee Leopold of Harvard Business School, "Hello.... we're a school" So it represents a risk, but also an opportunity. It shows that the person has innate talent for tests and also a strong entrepreneurial streak. Will that add to the class? Don't know -- like @"Deo et Patriae" says. Where I disagree with @"Deo et Patriae" is his point after checking the boxes. Yes, you need certain qualifications to get you a look, but those are minimum qualifications. And they are also guidelines. It's about fit, fit, and more fit. It has never been just about the numbers, and that's why it's really hard to make a prediction worth taking seriously.

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

It's impossible to put an exact number on your chances for admission. Even if your GPA was a 3.7 instead of 2.4, there would be absolutely no guarantee you would get into a top 10 school. Would your chances be "better"? Probably... but again, there is no way to put a number on that. Some admission counselors will actually provide a % based on a candidate's background and stats, e.g. "you have a 50% chance of getting into X school," but honestly, you can't really take such figures at face value.

There is a strong element of chance involved. Every year HBS rejects people with what many on WSO would consider to be very strong credentials: Top GPA, 770+ gmat score, superstar analyst at Goldman Sachs, etc. I personally know someone with that very profile who was dinged at HBS. Why? It's impossible to say. Perhaps the person reviewing his application decided there were already enough finance-types in that current year's class. Maybe his personal statement did not resonate with the ad com?

B-school admissions is all about checking off the right boxes (e.g. GPA, GMAT score, work experience, letters of recommendation, etc.) and then crafting a coherent, tight story in your essay (as well as interviews, if it gets to that) about why, at this point in your professional career, an MBA would be useful to you. You seem to have checked off most of the boxes except for GPA. A forthcoming explanation is in order. While I don't think its necessary to make the reason for your low-GPA the entire focus of your personal statement, it is definitely something that needs to be addressed at some point.

brj:
senior88:

I have very similar stats. Does anyone know why GPA is even a factor given it's years ago?

GPA and GMAT are pretty much the only widely available quantitative measures of performance. U/g GPA is actually one of the best indicators for post-u/g job performance.

That said, I somehow managed M7->MBB with a 770 / sub-2.9.

I thought Google did a study saying that undergrad GPA does not correlate at all to job performance? I think there was a piece on it here on WSO by Eddie.

brj:
That said, I somehow managed M7->MBB with a 770 / sub-2.9.

Nearly identical stats to brj, and I also did M7 -> MBB.

A few comments to OP: 1) I took a few classes at a local fairly well respected public university during my free time and and got all A's 2) I had an interesting story (like you) with a start-up on the side n addition to solid work experience

long story short: very doable. shake your tail feather a bit in the essays and make it happen

I had a similar situation when I wanted to go to a specific Ivy League for Master's Economics. I had a low GPA and a limited quantitative background, but a strong resume. I got in by taking the following course of action:

-Got two strong letters of recommendation from 2 alumni (one is a President of a well known think tank) -Got a letter from a client (I do freelance consulting work on the side) -Visited the school and spoke with the professors (include this fact in my personal statement) -Wrote in my personal statement how specific classes and professors would support my short -term and long-term ambitions. (For examples, I sat in on a class where the lecture focused on the peripheral reach of the credit crisis and I used the lecture to provide an analysis to my client who gave a speech on how it affected a certain region in Africa.)

If you can run a business that gross 2M and get a 760 GMAT, but need to ask WSO your chance, then I would say your trouble is confidence.

Don't focus on what are your chance, find ways to increase them. Have you considered getting a MBA coach to help you with the admissions process?

Building off @"BigPicture"'s advice, here are the things that I think helped me overcome the low GPA:

1. High GMAT
  2. Clear track record of success at work. Promotions at 2, 4, and 6 years.
  3. Time. Being 7 years out of undergrad made it easier to make the case that I was a dumb kid back then.
  4. Alt. transcript. I completed a management certificate (~150 hrs) at a top-20 MBA school and, although it was ungraded, I was able to craft a strong, concise story about it.
  5. I chose one of my classmates from the management certificate course to write my second rec. He was the founder/CEO of a growth-stage company which had gotten tons of good press (Inc. 1000, Forbes fastest-growing). We worked together on two large projects, and I asked him to write about my demeanor as a student and contributions in an academic environment. Not choosing another supervisor seemed like going out on a limb, but I knew my GMAT and optional essay weren't enough to excuse my GPA.
  6. Optional essay. Short, to the point.

Maybe, and worth a try. The alternative transcript is without a doubt a great way to show that you are able to do schoolwork. If you were lazy or unfocused as an undergrad (BTW, I was, but it was a different era), then an alternative all-A transcript is great. I took 7 courses in the evenings over a period of 2.5 years and broke the curve on the stats courses (amazing myself, and finding a love for statistics in the process) . I can see by those who chimed in above that others have found success that way.

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

youjustgotlittup:

I never get how people who are smart enough to score 750+ on their GMAT's (cause you clearly are very smart if you can get that kind of score) are not capable of at least graduating with a decent GPA. Did you even study a little bit in college?

750+, sub 3.0 undergrad --> M7 MBA --> MBB person here

seems silly to say they "are not capable of at least graduating with a decent GPA" when the issue is more likely effort than capability

Itaque veritatis dolor velit facere corrupti dignissimos occaecati. Excepturi sed amet eos ut aut non sed. Explicabo voluptatem eum maxime occaecati sequi fuga facere distinctio. Aut provident facilis molestiae aut iste repudiandae. Pariatur pariatur excepturi nesciunt quia aliquid.

Sed nisi recusandae distinctio similique accusantium. Nesciunt aliquam cum eos ratione accusantium a. Sed suscipit molestias beatae non. Quis sed vel et animi velit explicabo.

Alias omnis suscipit ea deleniti velit sit. Aut debitis pariatur rerum et quam. Temporibus deserunt sapiente laborum aperiam. Odio sit sunt vero impedit quia non et.

Autem id beatae nihil facilis incidunt maiores ut quidem. Animi doloremque dignissimos eos voluptate.

Voluptatem doloribus quaerat excepturi ullam. Ut aut id dolor qui debitis quibusdam similique. Voluptas ducimus autem occaecati consectetur.

Ipsa nam hic ut ea ducimus soluta atque. Rem nostrum asperiores quisquam ipsa qui ipsum eveniet. Et voluptatibus qui atque cupiditate sed. Consequatur soluta at quam sapiente. Qui velit qui quasi vel enim libero voluptatem. Officiis voluptas iusto ea vel dolorem velit illo.

Eligendi voluptatibus ea quae ut omnis quod dolores. Vitae consequatur laborum velit architecto fugiat omnis. Quas ut qui atque voluptates sit velit sunt quis. Sint impedit aut sequi et deserunt odio blanditiis. Magni eius ipsam ullam impedit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”