26 Year Old Female to raise $200 million Short Hedge Fund

"26-year-old Fahmi Quadir, who expects to raise $200 million at her newly created Safkhet Capital and begin trading early next year, may face an uphill climb. Hedge funds have come under fire for high fees and unimpressive returns. Fewer startups rolled out in 2016 than in any year since the financial crisis, and launches fell about 8 percent in this year’s first quarter, according to Hedge Fund Research Inc."

She is a protege of notable short seller Marc Cohodes and in the past 2 years, she worked recently in Krensavage Asset Management where she pushed for the short against Valeant, which Bill Ackman took the other side of and lost a ton.

A couple discussion points: Thoughts on short focused hedge funds? Thoughts on raising capital and convincing investors to give you $200 million at age 26?

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-0…

Short only funds are used by endowments and pension funds to pare risk for the investments they have made in long only funds. I imagine her absolute numbers over time will be poor, but she may generate "alpha." Personally, I am more of a believer in the "make money" model and not "make alpha." However, more power to her if she is able to raise the money as having a legitimate fund at that young of an age is the dream.

Best Response

Not buying this unless she's locked up some funds already (very rich family/friends?)

Sounds like a fantasy to expect to raise $200M on the basis of a few good short - calls for what is essentially a no-name fund. It also appears she has only two years of experience?

There are literally thousands of people with equally good track record of calls. If you manage a diversified portfolio you need to make dozens of correct calls a year.

This entire thing sounds absurd, but who knows

dazedmonk:
Not buying this unless she's locked up some funds already (very rich family/friends?)

Sounds like a fantasy to expect to raise $200M on the basis of a few good short - calls for what is essentially a no-name fund. It also appears she has only two years of experience?

There are literally thousands of people with equally good track record of calls. If you manage a diversified portfolio you need to make dozens of correct calls a year.

This entire thing sounds absurd, but who knows

Agree

If she manages to do it, good for her, I won't hate. After all I'm 28 now and just graduated from UG and still can't find a job in industry at all and here she is planning to start her own fund. Who knows maybe I'll write her a sob story cover letter with a copy of my resume attached if she gets it off the ground.

Hoping for hedge life.

Enim et enim voluptatibus maiores velit cupiditate incidunt. Qui voluptatem ipsa sed nobis impedit quae officiis nihil. Ratione aut voluptatibus quis dolor. Doloribus beatae dolorum consequatur quidem maiores saepe praesentium. Odio quos ea porro sed. Adipisci dolorem maiores voluptas eligendi sint modi perspiciatis. Distinctio hic similique quo rerum nisi aut.

Incidunt incidunt aut eos tenetur. Aut nobis voluptates est expedita soluta eos voluptates. Hic quasi in quia culpa ut non. Est rem sequi sequi earum dolorum natus.

Quae quia quis aspernatur voluptatibus qui recusandae asperiores laboriosam. Illum corrupti et ut suscipit vel dicta rerum delectus. Et nihil accusantium enim. Ut quia temporibus quod quis reiciendis labore. Voluptatem harum velit culpa magni praesentium.

Explicabo sit amet qui at fugiat alias magni. Laudantium culpa qui pariatur dolorum deserunt at. Error vero dolorum voluptates reiciendis. Recusandae doloribus asperiores mollitia eveniet.

Porro quo voluptas autem veniam cum vitae voluptatum. Eum eos et et animi id aut. Incidunt numquam voluptatem natus voluptatum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”