2.9 GPA to 3.68 GPA in one semester

I am in a situation in which my in-major (Finance) GPA will have the potential to go from a 2.9 to a 3.68 by the end of the Fall semester. This would be accomplished with a combination of retaking classes this summer and getting straight A's in the Fall. Now, before you start grilling me for me being presumptuous, I know that I will have to work hard to reach this goal and I'm prepared to put in the work. My question:

What do I do about FT recruiting? Do I bother applying to Investment banks before Fall ends or do I wait til I achieve my 3.68 GPA? And by then, what options would I even have?

Thanks in advance.

Projected to get straight A's even though you have never done that before. That's a very poor projection based on past performance, you need to work on your forecasting skills before you interview for IB.

Well as I said in my post these are my personal goals for myself that I plan on reaching, I'm not in need of a reality check if that's what you're alluding to. I understand it's going to be tough and whether or not I reach it is up to me and I realize that it's not a given. I'm simply asking if I should wait to apply to jobs after the fall semester or not.

Make it something realistic for God's sake, not a 3.7 GPA like you said. Maybe a 3.2-3.3 at most and make sure you say 'anticipated GPA'.

As someone that's sitting on a 3.0, I assure you GPA isn't everything. Networking will fill that gap nicely, but hustle to get better grades and hustle to network with bankers. Don't be afraid to apply to no-name boutiques either. Something is better than nothing.

I'll assume your actual GPA is way lower than your major-specific GPA since you're gunning for putting the major-specific one on your resume. If this is the case, just leave your GPA off and have a damn good story to tell about why it's this low. Also, please don't lie about having depression, anxiety, or any other disorder/disease as your reason for having a sub-3.5 GPA. It'll be clear that you're lying and makes you look like a real piece of shit.

I know it seems hard to get over the GPA hurdle but you need to network well enough that guys within the firm will vouch for you and push your resume through. If you aren't able to build these relationships over email / phone then IB may not be for you.

One more thing, try to be more realistic of yourself and your goals. It's nice to set high goals for ourselves but setting unrealistically high goals can be damaging. If you have a 2.9 then you've never earned A's across the board in any semester. Why would you think that this is possible in your penultimate semester taking some of the hardest finance classes? You'll save yourself a lot of headache and heartache if you learn to be realistic. Good luck to you in FT recruiting.

Great advice! And personally I don't believe a 4.00 is unrealistic, I have a 2.9 because I partied every weekend, skipped class, etc. I'm being honest with myself and now that I understand my mistakes I will actually apply myself to my classes, so I think it's doable as long as I stay committed.

Quo similique voluptatem velit. Culpa expedita libero odit voluptatem qui omnis voluptatem qui. A qui iste sed pariatur. Incidunt commodi dolores unde rem iusto error. Accusantium rerum placeat minus natus quod. Quasi ut nostrum reiciendis aperiam.

Animi quidem velit qui repellendus. Fugit et eaque non ut dolore eligendi iure.

Autem deleniti voluptas nobis esse in tempora et. Aut necessitatibus velit quaerat tenetur dolore nemo. Sequi temporibus sapiente enim recusandae labore. Ex inventore rerum aperiam nemo et qui rerum.

Qui esse aliquid debitis ipsam quia minus assumenda voluptatem. Sit quis fugit in eos. Architecto nemo repellendus voluptatem consequatur omnis ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”