$300mm HF analyst - take it or wait?

WSO,

First off, thanks to everyone who's posted meaningful responses along the way, I don't think I would be in this situation without everyone's help.

However, I'm currently in a dilemma and would love to get opinions from those experienced in the industry. I recently received an offer from a 300mm aum l/s equity HF (~4 other ppl, 2pms. Most likely never have heard of it) in LA and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on taking this offer vs. waiting for something more well known. I'm currently a BB IBD analyst ending my second year and have the option of staying a 3rd. I liked the team and position / would like to stay in LA, but wanted to see how transferable this experience would be to another fund if this opportunity wasn't to work out. After all, you never know how well something will work out until you actually start. Assume pay is in line etc. would you take it or reject it?

Apologies for the typos, sending this from my phone / on the road.

Best Response

If you like the people, the strategy and want to stay in LA, then you should take it. There aren't a ton of HFs in LA (much less equity focused ones) and 300mm is a decent size, certainly beyond critical mass so you shouldn't have to worry about implosion.

Obviously you should diligence their reputation/PMs reputations and returns but if those check out and you felt it was a good fit you should take it.

You need to get out of the prestige-driven mindset if you're going to move to the HF world. There are a ton of advantages to working at a relatively smaller shop. I know my preference would have been to land at a $300mm fund and not the $3bn fund I'm at.

mrb87:

If you like the people, the strategy and want to stay in LA, then you should take it. There aren't a ton of HFs in LA (much less equity focused ones) and 300mm is a decent size, certainly beyond critical mass so you shouldn't have to worry about implosion.

Obviously you should diligence their reputation/PMs reputations and returns but if those check out and you felt it was a good fit you should take it.

You need to get out of the prestige-driven mindset if you're going to move to the HF world. There are a ton of advantages to working at a relatively smaller shop. I know my preference would have been to land at a $300mm fund and not the $3bn fund I'm at.

I didn't read this before posting my response, but couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the comments. Trust me I agree about mindset - I care way less about prestige than most my peers. But stating it as a non-factor is foolish. After all, you mentioned diligencing the PMs in addition to track record (meaning did they work at well named funds). If at some point I would like to run a fund will people be "diligencing" me and commenting on my lack of Ivy League education / well known hedge fund? Just another question I have. Also, there is a prestige post a few discussion below which is right on point with my question as well. Once again thank you and I didn't mean to attack your comment.

If the PM raised 300mm I'm sure he has a good track record. In terms of DD, I'd think of stuff like how long has it taken to get to 300mm, how sticky is that money ie what is the lock up like, what has the inflows/outflows been like, is it institutional money or private money, what is the PMs reputation to work for, is he a nice guy good culture or a dick, what is he strategy for the firm, keep it small or keep growing as fast as possible, is there potential for long term track position if everything goes well, where have others that worked for fund ended up. Those are the questions I'd focus on in making my decision.

As for size, I think if you can find a cool pm, good culture, smart people and good investors I'd probably take that over a large fund at a young age. Way more upside if things work out well.

ke18sb:

If the PM raised 300mm I'm sure he has a good track record. In terms of DD, I'd think of stuff like how long has it taken to get to 300mm, how sticky is that money ie what is the lock up like, what has the inflows/outflows been like, is it institutional money or private money, what is the PMs reputation to work for, is he a nice guy good culture or a dick, what is he strategy for the firm, keep it small or keep growing as fast as possible, is there potential for long term track position if everything goes well, where have others that worked for fund ended up. Those are the questions I'd focus on in making my decision.

As for size, I think if you can find a cool pm, good culture, smart people and good investors I'd probably take that over a large fund at a young age. Way more upside if things work out well.

This is definitely true too. Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm kind of impulsive today -_-

ke18sb:

Yes, this is definitely accurate. I would most likely take the opportunity. You can always parlay into a different HF if it doesnt work out for you.

Do they run a levered book? I agree with both Eatmarkers and Chobo.

Disclaimer for the Kids: Any forward-looking statements are solely for informational purposes and cannot be taken as investment advice. Consult your moms before deciding where to invest.

Bulgesacket11:

WSO,

First off, thanks to everyone who's posted meaningful responses along the way, I don't think I would be in this situation without everyone's help.

However, I'm currently in a dilemma and would love to get opinions from those experienced in the industry. I recently received an offer from a 300mm aum l/s equity HF (~4 other ppl, 2pms. Most likely never have heard of it) in LA and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on taking this offer vs. waiting for something more well known. I'm currently a BB IBD analyst ending my second year and have the option of staying a 3rd. I liked the team and position / would like to stay in LA, but wanted to see how transferable this experience would be to another fund if this opportunity wasn't to work out. After all, you never know how well something will work out until you actually start. Assume pay is in line etc. would you take it or reject it?

Apologies for the typos, sending this from my phone / on the road.

Would you rather be in a 10bn hedge fund with 50 people posting flat 0-5% returns or a 300mm hedge fund with 5 people posting 20%+ returns? All about the track record man. Its silly (I've been trying not to use the word tupid) of you to not look at the track record man.

My advice is take it if it has an awesome upper PMs that can generate returns. Plus, if it raises more capital, you're up in the ranks much faster.

one of my friend who has exactly the same credential as you jumped to a $800mm fund in NYC and the fund ended up winding down in 10 months. For a small fund like this, you need to consider your risk carefully.

May you live in interesting times, may you find what you are looking for.

dreamer26:

one of my friend who has exactly the same credential as you jumped to a $800mm fund in NYC and the fund ended up winding down in 10 months. For a small fund like this, you need to consider your risk carefully.

What did your friend end up doing afterward? Another fund?

WhaleofWallStreet, perhaps i was not clear, i was saying the fund dismantled ten months after my friend joined. she just jumped in at a wrong time. the PM was in retirement mood.

May you live in interesting times, may you find what you are looking for.

Cupiditate odit reiciendis consequuntur earum voluptas. Possimus ipsa rerum error nihil eum. Incidunt officiis vitae nam corporis.

Ea id ut et sed incidunt. Amet reiciendis voluptatem asperiores vitae numquam. Eum doloremque aliquam ratione tenetur et ut aspernatur repellendus. Et est soluta quasi totam quos. Quis distinctio qui nihil corrupti.

Et cumque architecto dolore harum itaque. Et consectetur consequuntur totam corrupti voluptatem natus. Rerum et soluta non impedit accusantium dolorum at.

Quae esse autem quo eaque rerum voluptatum. Fugiat consectetur et dignissimos. Rem sequi aperiam in iusto.

Qui sapiente cum perferendis neque quia nihil. Velit veniam expedita ea consequatur cupiditate. Perferendis qui aut commodi dolorem mollitia voluptatum sunt quidem. Incidunt voluptatibus corporis quidem voluptatem autem sunt officiis aliquid.

Possimus dolorum et voluptas esse cupiditate quisquam est. Provident doloribus fuga omnis tempora vero.

Necessitatibus voluptas aut in omnis soluta quaerat. Magni doloribus modi necessitatibus id. Et reprehenderit eligendi perferendis et voluptates praesentium et minus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”