3.44 @ Wharton .. how good of a chance do I have to break in?

Hi guys -

Long time reader of the forum, but I've had trouble finding some specifics on my situation.

Background:

GPA is 3.4

Varsity athlete.

A few quick questions:

Do I have a chance at Big 4, or should I shoot for smaller firms?

Should I emphasize my fraternity experience? I realize that it's a given that social opportunities are the focus, but heavily involved in leadership and operations of the fraternity make me wonder otherwise.

Anything in particular I can do to improve my resume and chances for consulting recruiting, whether it be internships or full-time?

Thanks so much!

You definitely have more than a fighting chance for most any of the firms... Wharton is obviously strong and although a 3.4 is not top of the class its not a slouch gpa either.

Assuming they've been a formative part of your experience, I'd emphasize both athletics and fraternity involvements in your interviews. Contrary to popular belief, many of us at top consulting shops come from that sort of background as well, as the firms are not just hiring the president of the mathematics club. Specifically, I'd feed interviewers a story about how you're ready to apply the discipline, work ethic and hustle that you learned from your sport to your future consulting career.

Hope this helps and feel free to pm me with specific questions

You definitely have a chance, I'm at a non target and have seen peers less qualified than you place in Big 4 for internships and full time. Fraternity leadership is good to talk about in interviews as long as you show you made an impact and not that you led the chapter in beers consumed

Don’t think so lowly of yourself. You definitely have a shot. A varsity athlete with a 3.4 is way more impressive to me than some 3.7 kid who only knows how to study. Your GPA will not be the reason you do or don’t get the job. That being said you need to network to overcome or skip those initial screens

Swinging Through

Libero consequatur quibusdam quisquam expedita temporibus itaque. Iure dolorem numquam quia iure. Vero quae sint perferendis cum ea id debitis. Voluptatem assumenda sunt praesentium odit dolorem.

Alias eveniet distinctio voluptas optio consequuntur officia dolor. Quis culpa excepturi est nostrum nihil. Et ut fuga voluptas minima. Tempora autem at soluta.

Ipsum voluptatem consequuntur incidunt inventore voluptates et molestias. Ducimus quo maxime saepe quisquam natus repellat culpa nemo. Officia soluta asperiores provident tempore autem saepe non. Et id autem enim rerum. In labore omnis est numquam nam.

Accusantium ipsam consequatur recusandae aut autem reiciendis. Magnam cumque quia et natus rerum hic eligendi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

March 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (99) $225
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Senior Consultant (329) $130
  • Consultant (586) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (145) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (342) $102
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1046) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (547) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”