401k & pension at BB...more important than bonus?

I was curious to know people could tell me what the typical 401k matching & pension plans are at their BB, or ones they worked for previously

From my understanding speaking to a number of individuals, this can reveal hidden compensation that far outweighs the variances in year-end bonuses amongst the BB...at least among the more junior positions (analyst/associate). Especially when taking into account the heavy taxes on bonuses, in comparison to pre-tax 401k. Second, regarding pensions, I'm not sure how many years you must work before being eligible. One analyst I worked with when I interned many years ago, only looked at exit ops within the bank, so that he could continue to recieve the benefits, since they increase with every year spent working at the firm.

No.

Read about 401k plans, pre-tax and after-tax contibutions, employer matched contributions, and maximum annual contribution limits. All this information is basic and available on line. After you learn about it, think hard and re-consider what you just asked.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

Flake:
No.

Read about 401k plans, pre-tax and after-tax contibutions, employer matched contributions, and maximum annual contribution limits. All this information is basic and available on line. After you learn about it, think hard and re-consider what you just asked.

yes, i'm quite well verses on 401k and company benefits. However, some firms match far greater than others for 401k, this can be a difference of up to 16.5k which is the current maximum. Also some firms require you to be at the firm for a year prior to matching, others do not for graduate (analyst/associate) programs. Also some firms offer pension, starting at a small percentage of your salary, however this does not begin until after a certain amount of years, which varies by bank. This combined with the discounted stock options, can create even more variables.

All of this information is not available online. It is only disclosed to company employees.

Best Response
firstclassflyer:
Flake:
No.

yes, i'm quite well verses on 401k and company benefits. However, some firms match far greater than others for 401k, this can be a difference of up to 16.5k which is the current maximum. Also some firms require you to be at the firm for a year prior to matching, others do not for graduate (analyst/associate) programs. Also some firms offer pension, starting at a small percentage of your salary, however this does not begin until after a certain amount of years, which varies by bank. This combined with the discounted stock options, can create even more variables.

All of this information is not available online. It is only disclosed to company employees.

If you were "quite well verses" on 401k and company benefits you would also know that the matched contribution is usually 3-5% of your base salary. In order for the employer to match the maximum annual limit of 16.5k you would have to be earning 412,500/year. Now, since you're so well versed, I'm sure you also know the limits on annual salary that the IRS imposes which are nowhere near $412,500.

THIS information IS actually available everywhere. So, to reiterate my previous post: go read sh*t.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

Aperiam odit quo et sint. Ut inventore illum porro facilis. Accusamus accusamus et ut sed et eaque. Est omnis consequatur reiciendis aut libero dolor.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”