4th Year Analyst in elite boutique (aka “2020 is a special year”)

Hey folks,

By way of introduction, I am now a 4th year analyst (yes, 4th!) in the investment bank which is generally considered by WSO community as an elite boutique (see the likes of Lazard, Evercore, Houlihan Lokey, Rothschild, PJT).

At the very beginning of 2020, it indeed seemed that the year may become a disaster for the industry, however at the end the financial performance of most of the investment banks (and even more so elite boutiques) proved to be very competitive YoY. My bank is not an exception – our 2020 results are pretty much on par with what was achieved in previous years. As such, all bonuses and promotion policies remained intact / “business as usual” i.e bonuses were paid and promotions were granted to all the bankers eligible for such promotions (i.e all sufficiently performing 3rd year Analysts were promoted to Associates, all sufficiently performing 3rd year Associates were promoted to VPs etc). This has not become the case, however, only in one! office of the bank – unfortunately, it is the office where I am based. It is a relatively small-size office located in the emerging market. The bonuses were paid, however none of the people who were eligible for promotion in the team got the promotion. All that despite wonderful reviews and rankings of these people in the bank’s global review system – more than on par with relevant people from all other offices across the globe who got promoted. No meaningful explanation has been ever given by the local management, other than some vague narrative related to the fact that “2020 is a special year”.

Other than an obvious knock-down effect on the team spirit, such decision has created some sort of an intra-team conflict / sort of bottleneck for next year as within the next year few other people will become eligible for promotion. Will they be promoted or not? If yes, it means that people who did not get promotion earlier this year will effectively lose a year of career track with no reason whatsoever. If no, than other people (i.e the ones who will be eligible for promotion next year) can rightly question the reason for leaving them at their positions for the 4th year with no reason whatsoever.

What is the purpose of global review system adopted in the investment banking then? What is the purpose of investment banking system of grades and years then? How could it even happen in a place that is considered by WSO community as a very reputable investment bank?

This situation is just something out of this world, honestly. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Magnam molestiae sed fugiat magni voluptas dolor similique sit. Quia aut sed quia quasi. Eos et iste et consequatur. Magnam incidunt reprehenderit officiis et quidem aut omnis. Quia iste repudiandae ipsum labore.

Ex quibusdam in possimus vel fugiat. Accusamus dolorem delectus occaecati quaerat ut.

Aliquid aliquid veritatis ea omnis vitae et. Et consequatur ipsam error non magni. Quasi tempore dolore aut ducimus qui. Qui accusantium voluptas quidem tenetur. Explicabo quisquam vitae qui nemo.

Neque rerum earum sit maiores distinctio tempore optio molestiae. Illum possimus commodi est ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”