5% of People Need to Earn over $200,000 a Year to Feel Successful..

Good to know WSO firmly represents that 5% (Granted, not sure how many monkeys on here are actually on CareerBuilder). @"AndyLouis" This had to be a poll on here at one point, right? It always amuses how different industries breed different levels of income as 'successful', even though it's been beaten to death a hundred times over as discussion topics.

Anyway, It's a slow day. You can see the whole breakdown Below at BI.

What makes you feel successful?

Maybe it's getting promoted or accomplishing a difficult task. Perhaps it's a sense of fulfillment in your personal life or satisfaction at work.

We all associate success with different things, and, according to a new CareerBuilder study, a six-figure salary isn't always one of them.

The survey, conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Poll on behalf of CareerBuilder, asked 3,372 workers and 2,188 hiring and human resource managers what salary they need to earn to feel successful.

A majority (55%) said less than $70,000 a year, which is fairly realistic when considering the average American salary is $46,000.

CareerBuilder broke the results down and found that 63% of women and 47% of men who participated in the survey said they can earn $69,999 a year or less and still consider themselves to be successful.

adapt or die:
MBA_Junkie:

i wouldn't be surprised if that 5% is 100% of the active members here

Not 100%, check out the thread Office Jobs Blow ... one guy wants to drive a tractor trailer for some reason and another guy is just obsessed with "doing cool shit" no matter the pay nor prospects.

To be fair, one of those guys is likely to get banned at any moment.

That's a good point.

And if I was living in bumblefuck nowhere, I'd probably be fine making 70k per year. If I was living in NYC I feel like 150k would be the minimum I could make as long as I wasn't living in FiDi or some other hot area.

Generally I feel like $100k is a solid amount

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Is that 200k plus every year or just an average of 200k. I wonder if I could hit that 200k average if I stopped making any money today.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

I'd be curious knowing the age of the posters in this thread.

$250K is not a lot of money - you're lucky to have a nice house, fairly nice but simple cars, raise a family (2 kids), and have some spending money left over. This assumed you're maxing 401-K, and savings for kid's college, and have some minimal debt outside of mortgage.

gregt14:

$250K is not a lot of money - you're lucky to have a nice house, fairly nice but simple cars, raise a family (2 kids), and have some spending money left over. This assumed you're maxing 401-K, and savings for kid's college, and have some minimal debt outside of mortgage.

40'ish. $250k if you're working in finance isn't enough because you're working in way too challenging of a career that centers around money to not make far more. God bless you if $69k (love that it was 69) is enough because 2 people making somewhere near that can live and be happy in a non high cost area. But you're in the wrong career if $250k is what you want to make. People can throw MS at me but you won't make it in finance long term if your goal is a couple hundred grand. We don't make shit or provide a service other than making money.

Dingdong08:
gregt14:

40'ish. $250k if you're working in finance isn't enough because you're working in way too challenging of a career that centers around money to not make far more. God bless you if $69k (love that it was 69) is enough because 2 people making somewhere near that can live and be happy in a non high cost area. But you're in the wrong career if $250k is what you want to make. People can throw MS at me but you won't make it in finance long term if your goal is a couple hundred grand. We don't make shit or provide a service other than making money.

So basically you're agreeing with me

@"gregt14"

That is a lot more than what most of people have but it doesn't get you very far in a place like NYC or if you are the sole "bread winner" (hate that term) in your household. I've always found it sad that many guys will bust their asses for the better part of two decades only to end up subsidizing a woman into his lifestyle and in so doing materially lower his own standard of living.

That is quite a bit of money in a lower cost of living area (relative to NYC) especially with a spouse of equal means (or close). Don't know who threw MS, so +1 to bring you back to even.

It always amazes me how people can say 200k isn't enough to have a house and raise two kids. Outside of NYC and maybe LA/SF, 200k is a ton of money. You can have a very nice house, raise a family and be completely comfortable.

People need to wake the Fuck up and get a dose of reality. 99% of American households, not individuals, make less than 200k and do all of the above. And outside of finance it is going to take most people a long time to reach that Mark.

ArcherVice:

I agree with you there, wtf is the point on living in a shitty area with a big commute just for a few extra sqf.

1. tax haven
  2. more room for your kids/safer
  3. more green aka makes u feel better
  4. home is actually a home and not a small 1/2br
  5. few homeless
  6. your head is at least partially removed from the butthole that is finance/finance ppl
speed boost blaze

I would argue that making 250k in salary is too much. Me personally I want to make as little salary as possible. ~ 50K range. Why? I can't manipulate this for tax reasons. Considering that I pay more in taxes every year than the vast majority of you guys make its a big deal. The lower your salaried pay the more you can potentially keep. I buy stuff with pre tax money and pay taxes later. Rather than pay taxes first and buy stuff later. I would argue this is the single most important thing for wealth creation. How much you make is irrelevant. How much you keep is what maters. Sure its slightly easier to keep more when you make more but its far easier to spend more.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Best Response
heister:

I would argue that making 250k in salary is too much. Me personally I want to make as little salary as possible. ~ 50K range. Why? I can't manipulate this for tax reasons. Considering that I pay more in taxes every year than the vast majority of you guys make its a big deal. The lower your salaried pay the more you can potentially keep. I buy stuff with pre tax money and pay taxes later. Rather than pay taxes first and buy stuff later. I would argue this is the single most important thing for wealth creation. How much you make is irrelevant. How much you keep is what maters. Sure its slightly easier to keep more when you make more but its far easier to spend more.

You are the biggest toolbag I've ever seen. Every time any thread comes up that has something to do with money, I see your little faggot tiger and kid cartoon icon somewhere. You take advantage of every chance you can to try to make it known you have money - no one cares other than delusional college cum stains on this site. You already had a new asshole ripped on your "My Net Worth above 50 million" or whatever post (anyone reading this, find that thread and read pages 3 and 4), and yet you still try to bounce around being a dick. You're nothing more than a little daddy's boy bitch who was never taught how to be modest. And just to set things straight, I, too, am a trust fund kid (although I don't have 50 million) and my dad didn't have a 1,000 person company like yours. I don't go around talking about how much money I have or giving wealth advice. How old are you? You can't be more than mid-20's, which doesn't give either one of us much room for talking about wealth - you were born in it. Grow the fuck up already

jargon223:
heister:

You are the biggest toolbag I've ever seen. Every time any thread comes up that has something to do with money, I see your little faggot tiger and kid cartoon icon somewhere. You take advantage of every chance you can to try to make it known you have money - no one cares other than delusional college cum stains on this site. You already had a new asshole ripped on your "My Net Worth above 50 million" or whatever post (anyone reading this, find that thread and read pages 3 and 4), and yet you still try to bounce around being a dick. You're nothing more than a little daddy's boy bitch who was never taught how to be modest. And just to set things straight, I, too, am a trust fund kid (although I don't have 50 million) and my dad didn't have a 1,000 person company like yours. I don't go around talking about how much money I have or giving wealth advice. How old are you? You can't be more than mid-20's, which doesn't give either one of us much room for talking about wealth - you were born in it. Grow the fuck up already

Mad?

Also completely off topic however, what I said just now is something that is good personal economic planning. Why do you think that business owners see a far greater rate of wealth accumulation? Tax planning is far more critical to long term success than career path planning or job prestige. Finance is generally a higher paying field than any other. However even in finance the jobs that pay 1mm a year are far fewer than those at the bottom. So to have a thread where everyone is jerking off about their 300k/year salary by 27 thinking the growth trajectory will continue is about as foolish as a 5'10" white kid thinking they have a realistic shot at playing in the NBA. So a bit of advice about tax planning being the most important long term wealth strategy is prudent.

Voluptatum modi in incidunt voluptas aliquam voluptatem. Commodi sint illo ducimus qui sunt aut. Repellat et ipsa quia ullam impedit ipsa aut. Animi dolorem deleniti ut eveniet.

Consequatur non quam nobis dolorem sunt ipsum. Eveniet itaque dolor rerum rerum. Ut et sunt sit quae earum aspernatur dolores. Voluptatem sapiente qui ea et. Libero velit voluptatem fugiat sint in.

Voluptatum repudiandae id at aperiam mollitia illo. Sint officia rem et qui. Similique est in aliquid voluptatem aperiam est. Quisquam facilis sit asperiores qui omnis sint.

Ex aut sit eos asperiores reiciendis esse dolorum. Sint ea est tempore mollitia. Aut molestiae sequi distinctio sit.

Quia laboriosam mollitia vel odio. Hic atque velit ab voluptas pariatur velit voluptate. Itaque quasi quisquam est est consequatur. Rem modi quae fuga sit aut facere laboriosam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”