6/10/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Confusion Networking Situation
Post By @Hopeful-Incoming-At-GS"

I found an alumni's profile on LinkedIn. As I learned from WSO that you should try to turn networking into personal relationships and talk about your own lives instead of work, I decided to add the MD on Facebook and sent a message to him on Facebook.

Job posting "requirements" vs. what they will actually interview / hire
Post By @dinoRE"

Particularly for junior positions like analysts, it seems like companies ask for candidates who already know a lot. Do companies often accept candidates that do not meet all the "required" criteria and subsequently offer training?

Put Analyst Ranking on Resume
Post By @N96k2q2NVy"

I was thinking of including this on my CV: "For the year 2015-16, I was globally ranked as #1 analyst at [firm]". Is this too direct? Should I replace #1 with best?

Quitting Finance
Post By @itsjustmoney"

I worked in Leveraged Finance at a BB for a year and a half before leaving to do sell-side M&A at a MM boutique. I plan to head back to school, get an engineering degree and build something. However, what is the right move? Should I quit now after five months on the job? Should I stay through year end and collect the bonus check? Otherwise, should I stay for two years to round out the experience?

The PE career path
Post By @confused23"

I am trying to get a better gauge of the careers in and out of IB. While a two-year stint in PE out of IB seems very lucrative and prestigious, it seems that most shops kick you out after two years and you are expected to go to business school.

AMA: Went from S&T to Cap Markets to M&A to MF PE
Post By @quag_mire"

I started off in S&T after graduation and was on a prop desk that was getting decimated (historically it was one of the most profitable groups at the BB). I was desperate to make the switch to an IBD coverage role but did not have much luck. Therefore, I started off as a first-year analyst in a capital markets team. I eventually made the switch to a coverage team as a third-year analyst and went through the off-cycle PE recruiting process, which eventually led to a MF offer which I ended up taking.

Bank debt and amortization
Post By @poasb40"

Could someone explain why amortization of the principal amount of a loan could be a downside? I would think that amortization of principal would be good since it decreases the principal and hence future interest payments.

New to WSO, working at IFC
Post By @IFC monkey"

I am working at IFC as an Investment Officer, specializing in insurance. Stay tuned for my AMA on working in microfinance and international development.

Want To Wear Polos To Work? JP Morgan Approves
Post By @etx"

What do you think? Does ditching the $3,000 suit detract from the prestige of the industry, or do you not care provided the money is still there? Who knows, we might see MDs sporting Yeezys in ten years.

Investment Banking for females - What is it like?
Post By @hedgefundmami"

I always hear about the frat-like feel, and models and bottles in Investment Banking. However, where do girls fit in? What is the male to female ratio? Do women hang out separately from the men, or do they join in when you pop bottles? What about the females in the higher ranks of their IB career? What do you think is generally the kind of girl that goes for this field?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”