8 figures for late 20s/early 30s HF employees

How often do late 20s/early 30s analysts or PMs make low 8 figures in the HF industry? Obviously 2020 was an outlier with strong performance, but is this something that happens reasonably often in the industry (either MM or very large AUM SM)? This is assuming strong performance for both the analyst and the fund of course 

Have heard this has happened a few times at funds like Pershing Square, Viking, Coatue etc. Those types of funds have insane economics in terms of money per head but it also mean you have a less than 5 percent chance of getting an interview at one of those funds let alone an offer. Those really good activist funds/tiger funds are the only place IMO where eight figures is possible by late 20s/early 30s.

Troll question, but I'll bite.  It is significantly harder to make 8 figures by early 30s at a fund than in the NBA or some tech startup.  Finance is especially bad for this numbers wise.  The joke behind hedge funds is every little monkey thinks the exception is going to be them.

I have heard of 2 in the past 5 years who have done this at SM in very exceptional circumstances and not consistent.  Viking/Pershing - both were 20-30mm range.

At MM, there are a few super star traders who can do this, but we are talking less than 5 across the whole street.  I know of 4 here and two almost hit 9 figures once in early 30s - usually in macro products not in l/s - blowout type years like 2020

To put numbers around it at an MM, you need to put up north of 50mm in PNL, which means you are running a book of 500MM+ AUM and have a (2 Sharpe @ 500mm, 1 Sharpe @ 1bn, etc) due to drawdowns.

How many early 30s could raise a 500mm+ fund and your have your answer

Most Helpful

Associate 2 in PE - LBOs

How often do late 20s/early 30s analysts or PMs make low 8 figures in the HF industry? Obviously 2020 was an outlier with strong performance, but is this something that happens reasonably often in the industry (either MM or very large AUM SM)? This is assuming strong performance for both the analyst and the fund of course 

No, this doesn’t happen frequently enough to bet on it being a likely outcome. The rule of thumb I’ve heard is that a primo track is if you can secure a stable long-term seat where your baseline comp is 1-2m, and you can play for 1-2 blow out years along the course of your career where you can have a 5-10m payday.

Age is irrelevant in the HF business. There’s this notion of making 1-2m at a HF by the time youre 28, as if that has some inference on where you go from there. It doesn’t. Whereas in banking/PE the understanding is that your comp will continually grind higher as you progress through your career.

The big mistake people make in going to the public side is they hear an anecdotal tail outcome, and because of the way these tall tales and rumors are passed around, it’s presented to be a likely outcome. And so people make real life decisions off that highly flawed construct. Then they get to a HF and realize the path to making real money is about as likely as becoming a pro football player, and staying healthy long enough to have a long career, and performing, and being on a solid team that gets to a few Super Bowls, and winning a few of those Super Bowls.

Age is not completely irrelevant. In the HF industry, tails generally fatten up over time. The top 40 year old PM is going to make way more than the top 30 year old one, as it takes time to accrue AUM, alpha, etc. Whereas in the sports world you generally lose athletic ability as you age. Both are very competitive, somewhat zero-sum industries where skill is linked directly with profits. 

Of course, a downside to trading is that it doesn't come with any of the social benefits of being an athlete. 

Idk, still sounds pretty dicey. you're automatically hedged out of so much of the beta and factor exposures so even with the crazy volatility, I'm not sure you'd be able to ride the wave even if you wanted to position yourself correctly. It's just not an option you can take. Like I don't think citadel would let L/S managers put on a long ZM / short CCL trade in March. That just wouldn't happen. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've been told by analysts at MM L/S pods, you cannot get over 10% doing pure market neutral + all the other hedges that the risk managers make you put on. You're receiving 10x levered capital for christ sakes. You shouldn't be able to make anywhere close to the returns a long-biased tiger cub fund with much less leverage makes. 

Not sure about Citadel but know a lot of people at other MM's that had that type of trade on in March. Obviously you can't go overboard but MM doesn't mean 0% exposure to everything. You can take tilts. So your whole book in March can't be long WFH short reopening, but can you be 3% longer WFH? Yes.

The 10% thing is just not true. Speaking from personal experience and have a lot of buddies in the industry. It's rare and it's going to depend on how strict the risk model is, but definitely not impossible.

So what I've been told is that getting to 10% is exceptionally rare and that a good year constitutes a 4-5% return. That's just what my friends at Baly and Citadel. Idk there's so many of these pods that everyone knows at least 6 people at a MM so I'm not sure why there's such different information being given by everyone who works at them lol. Like I'm not saying you're wrong at all, it's just that what I've been told doesn't exactly jive, and who knows who is speaking the truth. My buddies have no incentive to lie unless they suck and work for a perennial 3% annual return PM I guess. And it's dumb cuz I feel like there's so many data points that there shouldn't be conflicting information haha

Your friends arent lying but also what I posted is true. I deleted it for privacy, probably shouldnt have said it.

A 5% is a great return in a year now, especially at Citadel, and its good at BAM as well. One of the 3 largest MMHFs has much looser risk parameters than the others which allows you to get ~1.5x-2x the return of say Citadel in a normal year. That said, the average book at Citadel is twice as big so comp is comparable.

This particular MMHF also allows certain senior PMs to have different risk parameters and this was a large part of how their team accomplished this. This also happened many years ago where risk parameters were somewhat different.

Going to delete this later btw. If you want to speak offline would be happy to provide more info

I heard some folks at Jane Street (not a fund... i know) pulled low 8 figs in 2020. But it was an absolutely stellar year for them. Anyway, it's extremely uncommon. Honestly, there aren't many place now where new employees can get that much.

315benchfor5reps

Let's look at a place like Elliott for example. They put up 13% last year. How much do you think an analyst (say late 20s, early 30s) or PM (maybe early to mid 30s) made? Over $10mm? 

Elliott is notoriously stingy and underpays.

Separately, just because there’s a lot of money to go around, doesn’t mean it goes around. This is Wall Street, not a Swedish teachers union. If you contribute directly to an outcome, you get paid for it. You don’t get paid 8-digits just for showing up because the firm had a good year. There is no $10mm participation ribbon. Not at Elliott, not at ThirdPoint, not at Viking Global.

Makes sense. I assume your'e paid on like a personal performance basis; if you put on a $500mm - $1bn position that nets the firm maybe $300-500mm, then I would imagine you get paid like $15-20mm -- that implies like a  3-6% cut. But activism seems hard and putting on a position that successful seems hard

In an average year, how much do you think analysts, APMs, and PMs at Elliott pull in? And would you agree with the work above?

315benchfor5reps

Let's look at a place like Elliott for example. They put up 13% last year. How much do you think an analyst (say late 20s, early 30s) or PM (maybe early to mid 30s) made? Over $10mm? 

Elliott is notoriously stingy and underpays.

Separately, just because there's a lot of money to go around, doesn't mean it goes around. This is Wall Street, not a Swedish teachers union. If you contribute directly to an outcome, you get paid for it. You don't get paid 8-digits just for showing up because the firm had a good year. There is no $10mm participation ribbon. Not at Elliott, not at ThirdPoint, not at Viking Global.

Elliott being stingy and underpaying is unequivocally false. 

Break down the math for a fund like Tiger Global. $41bn AUM, 48% in 2020 (I think around there), 2 & 20 fee structure. $41bn * 48% * 20% = $3.94bn GP Share

If you are a partner at Tiger Global (there are guys in their late 20s/early 30s that are partners there), you're gonna make a lot. Tiger Global runs super lean, but let's be conservative with the carry. Say a first year partner gets like 50 bps of carry...that's 20 bucks. 75 bps is 30 bucks...

50 and 75 bps aren't a lot, but because of how lean Tiger Global runs, it amounts to a heck of a lot. I have absolutely no idea, maybe a partner gets 100bps or more. Guys, I don't really have any actual stats on this stuff, so if anyone could verify this or gimme some feedback I'd really appreciate it. Because of what it means to be a "partner" and how lean Tiger Global is, I assume that this math checks out, but the numbers are still mind-boggling. But maybe that's just because were talking about a 50% year at the most elite shop out there. Who knows. Look at guys like Kimball and Schneider (who left for Addition recently) who are/were partners at Tiger Global. Do you guys think they cracked $20-30mm last year?

BTW, does this math apply to any of the top funds??

math pretty much matches my napkin math, but remember that this is for a 48% year. In a 7% year, the numbers would adjust heavily haha

math pretty much matches my napkin math, but remember that this is for a 48% year. In a 7% year, the numbers would adjust heavily haha

This math, as basically everyone else has said, is stupid.

Calling it napkin math is being very generous.

It’s more like used toilet paper math. Because these are meaningless scribbles on a piece of crumpled up tissue with smears of shit all over it.

No sensible person would write on it, nor would such writings be legible. If some blubbering mad man were to think it a worthy pursuit (Im thinking the homeless guy in Grand Central wearing a dress made out shredded newspapers from 1999), just imagine the mental competence of the person who goes a step further to touch that used toilet paper, much less examine it and use it to make life decisions.

I guess what I’m trying to say is... wash your fucking hands.

Nothing wrong with the math. Where you're really off base is that you're assuming all of the 41 billion dollar is in the hedge fund they manage which is just wrong. Tiger manages venture/growth capital funds, a long only fund and a hedge fund and approximately half of their aum is in private investments and 10 billion is in the long only fund which leaves 11 billion dollars for the hedge fund. So that's the amount you should be using in your calculations. Even then, chase probably has something like 3-4 billion dollars in the hedge fund. So fee paying assets there are something like 7-8 billion dollars.

989o989o99oiiooo9999kok999kk999koo9o9o

Yeah but wouldn't it be wrong to assume that their long only/private stuff didn't also put up those lights out numbers? If i remember correctly, flagship Tiger Global L/S fund was up 48%, and the long only fund was up something like 65%, which makes sense bc of all those unicorn IPOs. Regardless of that, I agree with pincerate that the number is not just $41bn * 48%, it's definitely lower. But we don't need to estimate that number bc Tiger Global reported that they made $10.4bn (that number is on Bloomberg, Institutional Investor, CNBC etc, and it's more than any other fund) for their investors in 2020. So I THINK (someone can check this/give feedback) that means:

$10.4bn * 20% = $2.08bn GP share...Dollarbillstearnofficial got the percentage of Coleman's income from performance fees correct, but we don't really know Shleifer's. So all we know is that it's $2.08bn - Coleman's $1bn = $1.08bn spread across Shleifer and then the remaining Tiger Global partners and analysts. This is where it becomes an estimate and I honestly have no idea, but maybe Shleifer took half of it, i don't know. Half kind of makes sense because Coleman made 1/3 of his income from performance fees, and maybe Shleifer also made 1/3 from performance fees, so ~500. So now it's $508mm spread across Tiger Global partners and analysts. The other thing is that 15 partners and 15 analysts sounds kinda high. There was a techcrunch article in January stating that Tiger Global had 22 investment professionals, which is more believable.

$508mm spread across 22 folks = $23.1mm per person. SO...another big assumption: 11 partners, 11 analysts, can anyone give feedback? Perhaps $375 of that goes to the partners, so ~$34mm per partner, and then maybe the remaining $133mm goes to the analysts, so $12mm per analyst. $12mm per analyst and $34 per partner sounds a lot more realistic for a fund like Tiger Global in a banger year. Now again, it depends on how many partners vs. analysts, how much was allocated to the partners & analysts, and ofc how much Shleifer took from the GP share. I think everything else makes sense and would love to hear feedback.

Now my other question to everyone is, do analysts/partners @ Tiger Global do public and private stuff, or are some designated to private side and others to public? Or is it separated by industry, so SaaS guys do public and private SaaS investing?

Break down the math for a fund like Tiger Global. $41bn AUM, 48% in 2020 (I think around there), 2 & 20 fee structure. $41bn * 48% * 20% = $3.94bn GP Share

If you are a partner at Tiger Global (there are guys in their late 20s/early 30s that are partners there), you're gonna make a lot. Tiger Global runs super lean, but let's be conservative with the carry. Say a first year partner gets like 50 bps of carry...that's 20 bucks. 75 bps is 30 bucks...

50 and 75 bps aren't a lot, but because of how lean Tiger Global runs, it amounts to a heck of a lot. I have absolutely no idea, maybe a partner gets 100bps or more. Guys, I don't really have any actual stats on this stuff, so if anyone could verify this or gimme some feedback I'd really appreciate it. Because of what it means to be a "partner" and how lean Tiger Global is, I assume that this math checks out, but the numbers are still mind-boggling. But maybe that's just because were talking about a 50% year at the most elite shop out there. Who knows. Look at guys like Kimball and Schneider (who left for Addition recently) who are/were partners at Tiger Global. Do you guys think they cracked $20-30mm last year?

BTW, does this math apply to any of the top funds??

You’re taking the best hedge fund in the universe, and using that as a proxy for what HF earnings can be?

That’s like assessing whether you should play golf in high school, and crunching the numbers on how much Tiger Woods has made in prize money + endorsement deals... and concluding that you can make $1-2bn across your lifetime playing golf.

m_1

One of our investors is doing low 7 figures in his late 20s at a L/S fund. He feels 2020 was a lot of luck and he just made ridiculous money off the Bill Hwang blow up but again, said it was lucky. I think he's being modest.

Another one retired in his early 30s but said he got very lucky as he joined a fund that scaled AUM really fast.

Low 7 figures isn’t that much in the HF business, even in your late 20s. You’re certainly doing better than your HF peers, but it’s not that crazy of a payday.

Let me ask you a corporate finance/valuation question, much would you pay to own the equity in a hedge fund? How would you value it?

I think we should be fair with people on this site, low 7 figures in your late 20’s and early 30’s is pretty rare, even in the HF industry. Probably better than calling things “crazy” it would be better to give rough percentages and of course include the universe you are talking about. 

At the end of the day that kind of payday is top 1-5% across funds (probably on the lower end) and about 5-10% at “mid/top” funds (and different depending on type of fund, etc). 

Just posted this in another thread, but I see a lot of BS here about comp so I'm reposting it here for you freshman to see. Here are the "steps". 

1. Grind your ass off in highschool to get to a target & stop jerking off 8 times a day, grind harder in college, get to a top BB/EB/MF PE group, grind even harder and get looks from top HFs. Zero sex life, work 18 hour days minimum, follow the markets for fun, but try to come off as a chill dude for recruiting/interview purposes

2. Become an analyst at a $7bn+ L/S  HF. You know the type, Tiger cubs + top notch non tiger cubs. Tiger Global, Lone Pine, D1, Whale Rock, Eminence, Darsana, Coatue, Viking, Altimeter type shops. This should put you at ~$300-500k base

3. Continue the grind and work the hardest here. If the fund has a monster year, you want to be a hard working analyst who put in the work and contributed to some of the monster year

4. IF you actually perform + fund has sick year + you have been there for 2+ years, you will make $2-3m. Confirmed from many sources, in some cases as high as $5 but that is by no means a proxy for how much you can make working as an analyst at one of these funds. $2-3+m in a really good fund with a phenomenal year is realistic 100%, and you could be 28-29 at this stage. NOW, notice how I said L/S. Credit/distressed guys are stingy as fuck - I know a distressed analyst who put on a trade that made ~200m for the fund (fund was like $7bn AUM), and he only got paid $900k. That's a lot, but it's fair to say he was underpaid and he left for a L/S fund. 

5. Stay at this L/S fund for > 5 years, maybe you're like 32-33 now, maybe you joined when you were 26. Keep pushing and contributing to fund outperformance, and as long as the boss is not racist or discriminatory in some way, you will make PM/Partner where you can reasonably expect to make low 7 figures in a year, and higher/8 figures in blockbuster year. Do this for a few years, maybe catch the next tech wave, put your earnings back in the fund, and you could probably be worth $20-30m by the time you're 37-40, if not higher. Then you go off an start your own fund. 

Now this is the story for maybe 1-3 people out of 100 in this business. Maybe. Incredibly difficult, requires the right fund at the right time + the right boss, self determination/drive, and you actually have to be good at what you do. It's the dream for many, but it's a lot easier said than done. Finito. 

2 points on this I dont agree with. Rest is solid info

1. Most of the guys who are at these funds are very normal. They are not weirdos with no sex life, most of them are very relaxed cool guys. Some funds are basically a frat, ie Melvin for example lol.

2. That base number of 300-500 is way too high for an analyst at these shops unless you have been there for a number of years. Generally base is more like 200 starting and scaling by 50k per year. Obviously all in comp is higher and virtually 100% due to management fees but still an important distinction. 

Pariatur pariatur quia quia non qui corporis blanditiis. Ipsum dolores voluptatibus minus id. Sapiente magnam occaecati dignissimos unde.

Alias deleniti enim quisquam culpa. Veritatis voluptatem qui laboriosam incidunt. Et voluptate id qui non. Voluptatem atque nemo quia. Itaque hic fuga ex sit et autem molestias.

Sunt et suscipit sit est vel. Odit sed aut dicta vero ipsa nihil temporibus. Soluta ex voluptatum et nisi libero.

Non qui nesciunt facilis labore voluptatibus explicabo. Consequatur rem voluptate animi excepturi autem sed. Non quo et est fuga dolorem consequatur. Eos quidem fugiat et quia cupiditate iure. Repellat unde ipsam quam eos a praesentium. Quaerat quibusdam et quia sunt quia.

Sit sit quo quisquam voluptatum praesentium. Voluptas nemo saepe suscipit porro. Corporis deserunt dignissimos enim. Aut ea tempore magnam illum sit.

SafariJoe, wins again!

Eligendi pariatur vel temporibus tenetur ullam consequatur tempore. Eos ex dolorem a aut quia nihil est. Enim provident unde cum qui asperiores et asperiores. Ducimus qui quod qui consectetur. Sunt aut saepe hic necessitatibus.

Quia quisquam quia atque illum. Illum totam debitis non eligendi suscipit veritatis voluptatibus. Laborum harum reprehenderit id earum similique natus. Laboriosam quaerat maxime odio quibusdam quia blanditiis. Debitis quia earum modi reprehenderit voluptas.

Quae atque dolorum mollitia corporis est voluptatum nobis. Sed enim dolorem consequuntur.

Tenetur quia quibusdam quia perspiciatis voluptatem id. Enim quae quasi molestias voluptates ut maxime quia. Ut aspernatur ipsam error omnis alias neque. Veniam velit eos rerum iure. Sunt ut recusandae et at.

Quos facilis quas veritatis occaecati. Mollitia dolorem ipsa dolores id et dolorem consectetur possimus. Id optio sed numquam voluptas voluptate.

Non consequatur quisquam officia temporibus. Unde nemo est tempore perspiciatis officia ut. Similique minus accusamus sequi maxime esse corrupti et.

Eum nulla quibusdam consequatur voluptatem debitis id ratione quaerat. Nesciunt soluta culpa autem eos ut voluptas. Soluta aut sit suscipit rerum.

Sunt magni aut harum. Occaecati quod alias minus ut. Autem neque dignissimos qui voluptatem harum dolorem officia molestias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”