Best MM PE in NYC / SF?

Tired of seeing discussion about MF / Premier UMM funds over and over - by the numbers, most of us will not end up at one of those funds. Want to start a discussion on some reputable / rising MM funds that are desirable to work at in terms of experience, b-school placements, etc.

Thinking in terms of funds like Cove Hill, Searchlight, Stellex, Golden Gate spin-outs, etc.

Most Helpful

I think there is tremendous upside to those opportunities but obviously they are quite a bit riskier. On one hand, you may have a faster track to promotion / receiving carry, and on the other hand, there is always the risk that the fund does awfully and never really takes off. I do not personally know anyone at those funds but I would imagine it really depends on the firm (e.g., how top heavy they are, where the founders came from, how many other associates there are, etc.). It is more likely that these funds will not have many associates so you may have more opportunities to "step up" that you might normally get at larger, more established funds. My take is that it would be safer to try to go to a more established MM firm as an associate and then pivot to a newer fund as a senior associate or VP (I am also relatively risk averse). I would feel much more secure about a place like Patient Square (led by former KKR and Ares healthcare heads) that's raising a $3B first-time fund vs. a $400 million first-time fund raised by ex-Linden guys (zero offense to Linden - just picked them randomly to illustrate the point). 

Average work week for associates? Vacation policy? Comp #'s? At what time are you eligible for carry? Is MBA required for VP/Principal promote?

Good friend works there. Culture is top notch. Work schedule depends on your portcos, but generally 60-65 hours per week unless you’re chasing a deal. Cash comp is fair but nothing special, though carry at mid level is pretty good. Tailwind used to have good track record of promotions before raising fund 3, now the track is not as clear. 

Thanks, sb'd. Adding this firm to my list of MMs for 2023 on-cycle (whenever that might happen lol). If you can think of any other MM funds that 1) Play in the industrials space 2) Have non-sweatshop hours or at least better than IB 3) competitive comp. 4) Definitely don't have to be in NYC, in fact almost prefer outside NYC but California is out of the question. 

I guess I'm looking for the holy grail of MMs... 

Trilantic doesn't have Industrials per se but has a Business Services group. Can't add much here but they'd sent me an interview invite a few years ago.

Other MM funds that play in industrials space (not necessarily completely industrials focused / may not meet your other criteria) include Arsenal (NYC), SK Capital (NYC), Irving Place (NYC), American Industrial Partners (NYC), CCMP (NYC), Kohlberg (Mount Kisco), Greenbriar Equity (Rye), Arcline (SF so maybe not for you), Charlesbank (Boston), Audax (Boston), Arlington (DC), etc.

Industrials here can include manufacturing, packaging, chemicals, distribution, A&D, etc.

Maybe LindsayGoldberg and CDR are up there. Prob others too. Those two come to mind first as solid, maybe more well-known UMM

GG good too. Carlyle has a solid MM fund. Often bigger places have good Mm funds too. 

JC Flowers is pretty shit. They were raising multi billion dollar funds a few funds ago and now they can barely raise a $1 billion fund. On multiple bake-off pitches, an MD has asked for them to be included on potential buyer lists only to then laugh and say "oops, forgot how small they are now. They can't afford this asset" and then cross them off the list.

These guys don't even belong on a list of top FIG-focused MM's in New York, let alone a list of top overall MMs in New York.

Some other MM in SF / Bay Area that come to mind and haven't seen mentioned: 

-True Wind Capital: Fairly new, started by ex-KKR tech partner. Have also raised a couple SPACs

-Vector Capital: Tech, lots of distressed / complex work

-Gryphon Investors: Generalist. Heard kind of a sweatshop and seems to have a ton of senior folks

-Parthenon Capital: generalist in SF/Boston, apparently last couple of funds have done very well

-TSG Consumer: Consumer Focused in SF / NY

-Sumeru Equity: MM Tech

-Symphony Technology Group (STG): MM tech

-Serent Capital: generalist

-Carrick Capital

-Alpine Investors

Quae ut nihil voluptatem praesentium neque rerum inventore. Necessitatibus est rerum voluptatem dolorem fuga quia vel nobis. Maxime iure possimus qui ut officiis ut nihil atque.

Sint facilis eos veritatis et. Est consectetur aut ipsa quod. Deserunt itaque omnis quo.

Eum libero placeat accusantium libero qui perferendis alias. Non sint corrupti aut enim non in rerum. Ad vero ullam ab officia. Est nobis vitae impedit ex blanditiis. Ipsam est doloribus placeat et eum minima.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”