HYPW if you want to have a chance. Even then only the top students manage. There was a thread earlier talking about Harvard's placement last year: 3 to KKR, 2 to Bain cap ,1 to BX...     It's hard, even for those at those top targets.      

wolfie14

How about getting a job at apollo 

You have no idea what you want if you've managed to read the threads on their culture and still blindly think that's a good idea.

Even though I'm at one of those schools you listed, this isn't entirely true, just for the MFs. For example, Roark, Stone Point, Vista, Audax, etc. will take FT kids from good (i.e. Other Ivies, Duke, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Stanford, etc.) schools. Sure they aren't MF but these are all totally reputable funds that anyone would be lucky to work at post-IB stint. 

Not true for MFs either. Maybe Warburg and SLP to some extent. Even then, SLP '20 had 1 from Dartmouth, 2 from Ivey. WP '19 w 1 each from Gtown, UVA, '20 from MIT. Ik for a fact Duke and Dartmouth get recruiting from BX, Bain Cap, Ares and KKR. Even Ross places ppl at the last 3. So does Stanford. BX '20 had 2/4 from Columbia. I'm not even including groups other than PE. Y/P did worse than most of these schools in recent years (function of self selection tbh).

Definitely, I'm at one of Y/P and even compared to just my freshman year the trend of where people are looking for jobs has shifted hugely, albeit in my self-selected groups

Most Helpful

It's been interesting. You can really see it with the majors, too — when I came in, the finance kids were all econ, but now everyone does econ + cs or cs + math or econ + math instead. 

1) Buyside 2) big tech 3) MBB 4) entrepreneurship are all more attractive to most of my peers than banking.

Buyside is obvious — skip the banking shit, go to your desired end destination — and every year, more firms are receptive to the top kids right out of undergrad.

Big Tech, it's the same pay with better hours & the flexibility to one day go off and do your own thing. My friend at Facebook works Mon-Thurs 9am-6pm, and will make $5k less than me, an incoming FT BB analyst in a sweatshop group. She's got such a sweet gig, and she'll do that for 2-3 years, then she wants to move to a start-up. Her lifestyle will be so much better at the same pay. And, while she won't have buyside exit opps... They buyside exit opps aren't as universally attractive as they once were. There's other ways to make hella money. 

MBB, because honestly if you're at elite schools, it's basically what you're doing in school. The skillset for MBB is the same skill set needed to get into those places 

Entrepreneurship, obviously for the most risk-tolerant. But it's crazy compared to what it was in 2017 for example — the amount of people on campus in a start-up is up tenfold, the universities have sunk millions into programs, and the student groups went from being jokes to competitive. A few successful ones have come out of my school recently too, which has definitely pushed the risk-tolerant in this direction. 

Banking nowadays is seen as the risk-averse option for people with no real technical (computer) abilities whose greatest trait is the ability to work hard. There's definitely people who fit that bucket, like me, but kids are becoming more risk-tolerant and actively pursuing technical abilities and if you're risk-averse, MBB is typically more suited to a student at an elite school's skill set. 

Laudantium illo quia voluptates sunt aspernatur atque. Totam sed nam laboriosam quae earum accusamus eveniet. Id cupiditate dolore quis ab suscipit aut nulla reprehenderit.

Fuga et et et et autem. Ea blanditiis voluptas nihil delectus. Qui aliquid commodi et doloribus voluptas. Commodi inventore eaque ut ipsa sint. Facere amet omnis quis labore itaque. Qui voluptas unde consequatur et reiciendis quod atque placeat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Warburg Pincus 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (21) $586
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (89) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (204) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (386) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $157
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (313) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”