Advice for 22 YO Non-Target Recent Graduate with 3.95 GPA and Military Experience

Hello all,

I would first like to give a HUGE thank you to everyone who actively uses this forum! I recently stumbled upon it and have been reading countless threads over the past few days. I am amazed with how much helpful information I have found on WSO and somewhat upset I did not come across it earlier.

To tell you a little bit about myself:
I graduated high school as salutatorian but was unable to get into target schools at a price that my family could afford. (I come from a single family home with ~$45k annual income). This month I completed my undergrad at a small, non-target, private school in New York that I commuted to. I graduated with a 3.95 GPA in Business Administration & Management, and was the only Summa Cum Laude graduate in the business division. I won some decent awards from my school and local associations, and was invited to join a few decent honor societies.

I joined the Army Reserve my sophomore year of college because I have always wanted to serve, I received a bonus that I have since invested successfully, and because I knew it would help bolster my resume. For the military, I completed 7 months of training, and was the distinguished honor graduate and class leader of my engineer class. I started as the lowest enlisted rank in the Army and it has taught me more life lessons than I could have ever imagined.

The Cons: I do not have any internships on my resume. The only work experience I have is in retail and engineering. My school is not very renown in the business realm and does not have many connections to places in NYC despite only being a few hours from there. I was supposed to go on a deployment out of college so I did not focus on applying for any career jobs since I was supposed to be gone for a minimum of 10 months. That deployment has since been pushed back and I now do not have a "career" job lined up.

I originally did not want to work anywhere close to NYC, but I have recently realized that an hour train ride into the city is worth it because the amount of opportunity down there is endless. I have always had an interest in markets, but do not have the same level of specific knowledge that the kids coming out of Ivy-League schools do. Although I have the heart to stack-up against them.

From the age of ten or so, I have been "flipping" things on eBay to make money in my free time. I have targeted a specific market where I am able to buy items in their "off-season" and sell them several months later when they are peaking "in-season." Although this market is very small and is not big enough to make a living on, I have been able to make enough to pay off most of my student loans. The profit margins on these transactions range anywhere from 4% to 250% with an average transaction of about $200. I would love to do something like this on a larger scale but I am not sure how.

All of this said, what advice would you give me? Is there any job that you would recommend for me based on what I mentioned as one of my interests in the paragraph above?

Thank you so much for reading my post. It means alot!

Try to see if you can get an internship at Morgan Stanley. The US program has positions open for undergraduates with military experience. I can't link your directly as I don't have enough posts, but hopefully this works: morganstanleyDottalDotnet/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/brand-2/xf-3786f0ce9359/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/1/opp/3583-Opportunities-for-Undergraduate-Student-Veterans-at-Morgan-Stanley/en-GB

Edit: Looks like the position I linked is only open to undergraduates who haven't graduated yet, but I don't think it would hurt to message a few people who work at Morgan Stanley on LinkedIn to see if you get a response

I think it'd be productive to search around at different firms and find bankers with military backgrounds to both network with and ultimately get mentorship. You'd be surprised at the number of people who want to help out aspiring bankers regardless of background, and if you can draw on a common military background, I'm sure the people you talk to will be even more inclined to help.

Feel free to prompt me for more feedback. Am passing out but will reply if I get a reply notification

Make Idaho a Semi-Target Again 2016 Not an alumnus of Idaho

Sed sequi sit est sed facere quo distinctio. Est cupiditate rerum asperiores est quia nihil quaerat. Mollitia non voluptatem harum possimus sint optio. In iure provident est ab exercitationem consectetur odit. Quis dicta tempore sed. Itaque ut vel tempore quo dicta. Non soluta et sunt.

Doloribus deleniti doloribus ipsum dicta non. Voluptatibus aut quis atque excepturi. Repellendus velit ipsa aspernatur beatae. Molestiae quam deserunt voluptatem odio sequi.

Inventore blanditiis similique dolorem est cum quo porro. Esse sapiente maxime sint incidunt et ad. Perferendis quasi ut eligendi. Ducimus doloremque consequuntur asperiores et. Sed sed similique harum aspernatur.

Eos est facilis aliquam ut dicta perferendis. Saepe voluptas ea ut ut eos. Natus impedit quo sed dolorem. Quo harum explicabo cupiditate totam. Libero deserunt et consectetur sit aut ducimus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”