Hey monkeys, I am currently contemplating a switch from PE.
Reasons for wanting to make the switch:
- Want more intellectually stimulating work. PE FOF is mind-numbing at best.
- Want to gain a concrete skillset. At the end of the day, PE FOF work is just about evaluating people. It's not much of a skillset to be honest.
- Want better exit opportunities + career with longer runway. Speaking to those above me, many find themselves trapped and unable to get out after staying for too long. I understand that REPE is also very niche, but I don't believe the exit opps are as suffocating as PE FOF? I have been trying to get out of my role for the past few years but have not been successful.
- Can't get into IB / Corporate M&A roles. Have been rejected for all the processes I have been through.
My question for the more experienced monkeys on the forum.
- Is the switch worthwhile? Happy to hear from others who have made the switch as well.
- What other factors should I consider? I know I will have to entertain a paycut to make the switch since the REPE AUM is much smaller.