WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (22)

Nov 6, 2013 - 10:56am

Haha sorry. I don't have personal experience with this (I'll be 23 when I start FT, I don't think that counts as aged) but I have seen a few threads on here that say while there may be some age bias, it's definitely surmountable.

Nov 5, 2013 - 11:47pm

I just signed my offer to start as a first year analyst summer 2014 at which point I will be 25.

"They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off in the economic crash that Nancy Pelosi caused. They’ve got zero real-world skills, but God they work hard." -Jack Donaghy
Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Nov 6, 2013 - 12:03am

PM sent

"They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off in the economic crash that Nancy Pelosi caused. They’ve got zero real-world skills, but God they work hard." -Jack Donaghy
Nov 6, 2013 - 10:59am

28/29 is considered old for any first year analyst, male or female, I believe.

I could be wrong, but I also think the age bias would be greater for women than men. At least subconsciously, I think hiring managers etc would wonder if a 28/29 year old woman would be fully committed, or would want to do things like start a family etc. Again, I could be wrong but I think that kind of bias may exist. However, I'm sure this bias is also surmountable.

Nov 6, 2013 - 11:19am

Totally depends on situation. Can't speak for myself but for those in my class / classes above me, there were some "older" analysts in mid or late 20's. One guy was in the military for a couple years before starting college, a couple worked 1-3 years in accounting / finance before deciding to lateral but still came in as 1st years. It always comes down to having your story straight.

Nov 6, 2013 - 4:26pm

Ok sure...

I came from accounting/audit back ground, have CPA, doing CFA, working in Corporate Restructuring/ Corp Finance in one of the big 4 right now. Let's say I'm in my late twenties.. would it be too late to make it into IB?

I am considering doing MBA or MFin if my current effort doesn't produce any results.

Nov 6, 2013 - 4:30pm

everything changes if you already have a bachelor's degree and are pursuing an MBA. At that point I do not think age matters unless you're going for Analyst positions but I have no say in this and will let someone with more experience chime in.

Nov 6, 2013 - 4:31pm

I do not think it'd be too late to make it into IB from your background, especially if you get an MBA. I can't speak to this so take this second part with a grain of salt, but perhaps with your experience if you go to a top MBA program you could enter IB as a post-MBA associate? Age wouldn't be as much of a factor in that role.

I think breaking into IB at your age will be easier with a top MBA because that will just be more common than people switching careers without going to b-school. You can definitely break into IB with some persistent effort in my opinion.

Nov 6, 2013 - 5:46pm

I'll change the tune on my previous response... you definitely should shoot for the MBA > Associate route as your #1 option. I assume your GPA / pedigree is high-quality because you're with a big 4. Plus add on CPA and CFA when you get it. Therefore, I see no reason to go backward multiple years career-wise for the Analyst route when you're a prime candidate to become an Associate.

Nov 6, 2013 - 4:26pm

There's definitely age-bias. If you're old b/c of Military experience there is a separate recruiting pool for some firms but at my target this process only entailed the first round selection for interviews - which was done separately from the "traditional" students. After, traditional and non-traditional students first round interviews on campus were done together. More often than not, your interviewer is a "traditional" college student but at this point it's up to how you connect - from my experience though, it's an uphill battle. Some firms have a Military-liasons sit in on 'some' of the interviews but again, in my experience, it was only on the superday. I have heard of some firms conducting first-round interviews for former Military over the phone but I have gone through the process at most BB's, MM's and boutiques and this has not been the case for me - however, do not that I did neglect to attend some Military-only networking events so this could be why.

Either way, I look very young for my age, and I hate to admit it but I catered my resume to resemble a young college student and was shocked at how many more first rounds I was able to nab (without going through Military recruiting). Oh, and I'll be starting FT IBD when I graduate next year at the age of 26.

****this is for UNDERGRADUATE students (former non-commissioned Military personnel).. NOT Officers who have gone to west point/the academy and then went to get an MBA****

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

June 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (35) $364
  • Associates (205) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (116) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (97) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (27) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (425) $131
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (341) $82