I just signed my offer to start as a first year analyst summer 2014 at which point I will be 25.

"They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off in the economic crash that Nancy Pelosi caused. They’ve got zero real-world skills, but God they work hard." -Jack Donaghy

Best Response

PhilCollins, could you provide some additional info regarding your path to breaking in at a later age? Specifically when you graduated and what steps you took? Did you go for Masters/MBA/CFA?

I am 23 y/o, will be 24 by February and looking to break into IB or ER.

PM sent

"They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off in the economic crash that Nancy Pelosi caused. They’ve got zero real-world skills, but God they work hard." -Jack Donaghy

28/29 is considered old for any first year analyst, male or female, I believe.

I could be wrong, but I also think the age bias would be greater for women than men. At least subconsciously, I think hiring managers etc would wonder if a 28/29 year old woman would be fully committed, or would want to do things like start a family etc. Again, I could be wrong but I think that kind of bias may exist. However, I'm sure this bias is also surmountable.

Totally depends on situation. Can't speak for myself but for those in my class / classes above me, there were some "older" analysts in mid or late 20's. One guy was in the military for a couple years before starting college, a couple worked 1-3 years in accounting / finance before deciding to lateral but still came in as 1st years. It always comes down to having your story straight.

Ok sure...

I came from accounting/audit back ground, have CPA, doing CFA, working in Corporate Restructuring/ Corp Finance in one of the big 4 right now. Let's say I'm in my late twenties.. would it be too late to make it into IB?

I am considering doing MBA or MFin if my current effort doesn't produce any results.

I do not think it'd be too late to make it into IB from your background, especially if you get an MBA. I can't speak to this so take this second part with a grain of salt, but perhaps with your experience if you go to a top MBA program you could enter IB as a post-MBA associate? Age wouldn't be as much of a factor in that role.

I think breaking into IB at your age will be easier with a top MBA because that will just be more common than people switching careers without going to b-school. You can definitely break into IB with some persistent effort in my opinion.

I'll change the tune on my previous response... you definitely should shoot for the MBA > Associate route as your #1 option. I assume your GPA / pedigree is high-quality because you're with a big 4. Plus add on CPA and CFA when you get it. Therefore, I see no reason to go backward multiple years career-wise for the Analyst route when you're a prime candidate to become an Associate.

There's definitely age-bias. If you're old b/c of Military experience there is a separate recruiting pool for some firms but at my target this process only entailed the first round selection for interviews - which was done separately from the "traditional" students. After, traditional and non-traditional students first round interviews on campus were done together. More often than not, your interviewer is a "traditional" college student but at this point it's up to how you connect - from my experience though, it's an uphill battle. Some firms have a Military-liasons sit in on 'some' of the interviews but again, in my experience, it was only on the superday. I have heard of some firms conducting first-round interviews for former Military over the phone but I have gone through the process at most BB's, MM's and boutiques and this has not been the case for me - however, do not that I did neglect to attend some Military-only networking events so this could be why.

Either way, I look very young for my age, and I hate to admit it but I catered my resume to resemble a young college student and was shocked at how many more first rounds I was able to nab (without going through Military recruiting). Oh, and I'll be starting FT IBD when I graduate next year at the age of 26.

****this is for UNDERGRADUATE students (former non-commissioned Military personnel).. NOT Officers who have gone to west point/the academy and then went to get an MBA****

Modi ducimus eius quia dicta ipsam maiores. Sit ad quisquam alias cum voluptas adipisci quaerat. Et error earum aut accusamus. Aliquid pariatur laborum facilis dolores eveniet ratione.

Recusandae sed ea rerum deserunt inventore. Non animi ut unde non velit sit. Nemo reiciendis ex modi recusandae sunt. Corrupti modi est veritatis voluptas quia rerum. Inventore et ratione id saepe.

Sed illo libero eos quibusdam et error itaque. Ipsam et quidem esse natus ullam quisquam mollitia harum.

Doloribus ratione fugit sunt velit quas voluptas. Veniam quo error non labore exercitationem est ea. Quaerat veritatis sint aut quod. Et minima est ut a aliquam enim enim. Perferendis ab omnis eum et qui iste. Quis aut perferendis mollitia illo voluptatem et dicta maiores.

Aut quo ratione animi. Optio est cum vel soluta rerum rerum delectus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”