Analyst lateral timeline 2022

I am an incoming first year IB analyst, slated to start this July, and I am hoping to lateral after my first year to a BB/EB from my MM. As far as timeline, I am guessing I would be looking for/applying to positions after about a year at my firm, so summer 2022 or so. Would it make sense to start looking even earlier, maybe starting in spring, or is that not long enough at my current firm?

Additionally, I am not sure how I would go about finding these opportunities. Some firms do post online, but would it be correct to assume that networking still makes a difference at the lateral stage? Now that I am/will be an analyst, who should I be reaching out to and what kinds of discussions would be appropriate? As a college student it is easy enough to ask analysts/associates about their jobs/experiences, but it feels a little more odd to do so out of the blue from another firm. 

And what should I be doing now to increase my chance of success? I've read through other threads about interview tips and process, but I did not find too much on timeline or networking importance/practices. Any advice appreciated, thanks

I saw your original response which was blatantly ignorant and rude to a classic WSO humor. You changed the tone now but still mad at other people who indicated how idiotic this post is.

Keep behaving like this, no decent bank will hire you and I hope your offer got rescinded when your current bank finds out.

Give the kid a break. Probably not the best way to go about it, but at the end of the day go after whatever you want cause it's your career. Firms could care less about their analysts. My advice would be to put your head down and kill it for the first 8-10 months and then look for lateral opps if that's something you still want to pursue. *Strong analysts are always in-demand*

*Strong analysts are always in-demand*

Oh yeah? If the kid is "so strong" then why are they lateraling? That's what guys like me ask prior to interviewing you.

It's always cheaper to retain an employee than replace one - all managers (i.e. people interviewing you) know that - so it weakens your application because if you were worth anything your company would be fighting to keep you. "Well I haven't told them" - well, that just means you lack loyalty; you'll just lateral on me in another year. That's two strikes against you and it's only the first interview. 

There are numerous reasons to lateral. Maybe you just don’t fit the culture of your group, maybe you want a different industry or product, maybe you want/need to move geographies. Your comment is what makes this forum so toxic, yeah this kid may not be in the best mindset going into his analyst stint planning to lateral but you added no value. No firm fights to keep an analyst because turnover is very high in this industry. He could be a very strong analyst who wants to move and it happens constantly  

Thanks for giving this kid shit and telling him what “guys like you” ask in an interview. Good thing you won’t be interviewing him since you’re not even in IB and thus your input is worthless and just demeaning. 

So being good/decent at your job means you cannot be interested in changing firms/groups? That doesn't even make sense.

As for "loyalty" as an analyst, are you going to pretend analysts aren't expendable to the company?

This whole comment is just beyond stupid.

Well if that's your premise, then why would you ever hire a lateral?? Wouldn't all the applicants / interviewees be disloyal weak performers in that case...

Your argument is pointless and adds no value.

Most Helpful

I just lateraled as an analyst and will be doing a longer post on the forum here soon. I wasn’t in your position where I wanted to lateral so quickly but I would spend the first 6-9 months learning your job first in my opinion. I would say a large majority (over 75% probably) of lateral jobs the teams will be looking for an experienced A2/A3 anyways and you will be recruiting against analysts that have closed deals and more experience and they will be looking for someone who can “hit the ground running” compared to a first year who will need some hand holding and teaching. Not saying it’s impossible to go A1 to A1 somewhere else but most people are looking to fill A2/A3 spots with lateral hires since typically those are the analysts that left the banks and they’re looking to fill.

You definitely can just get job interviews by applying online. I lateraled from CB to IB and would get calls back on my resume from just applying online. However you will be more successful with networking. Also there will be jobs that never get posted on the job board because teams will have a spot to fill and already have a list of candidates from people that have networked with the group. So networking is a huge help. If I were you I would start networking next spring/early summer ahead of summer bonuses for analysts. That way you can be in the loop when spots open up when analysts give notice after bonuses. That’s the ideal timing probably. For me the whole process probably took a year to get 2 offers but I had CB background so selling that experience was a usually a little more difficult once in final rounds and competing against people that already had sell side experience. I would continue to brush up on your technical interview questions and then start to network in the spring. The lateral process is very unstructured so people are hiring at various parts of the year but the summer is typically when the most spots are open (this summer was obviously different but seeing lots of hiring this winter as deal flow has been strong post the recovery so this winter has been much better for recruiting compared to the summer). So in summary, network probably starting in May or so, whenever you have free time while on the desk I would study the guides so your crisp on technicals for interviews if you’re set on lateraling, and at the same time would keep an excel tracking who you have networked with and what jobs you’ve applied to online.

Also the biggest question that people will want to know is WHY you want to switch from your current group/bank to the new one. The answer will need to be convincing or else they’ll just think you’re using them as a stepping stone and will be gone in no time. That answer gets easier as you get more experience which is also why I think it’s hard to lateral as a first year. good luck. Excuse any typos did this on my phone

Thank you, this is actually helpful. I would be looking to lateral after a year or so at my first firm. Not sure if I would have to give up a year at some firms, but I will at least be able to hit the ground running. I guess I might be getting a little ahead of myself, but I know (generally) where I want to end up in the near term. Sounds like I should hold off on targeted networking for awhile until I do have some experience to speak of.

Array

Not sure why there's so much hate about this post. Nothing wrong with thinking about lateraling before you start the job. I knew for a fact I wanted to lateral out of my BB even as a summer analyst.

I honestly think there's no hard timeline, I have seem people lateral as short as 3-4 months. I feel like people will heavily question why you want to leave, especially if you have worked at the time for under 1 year. After 1 year of experience, then people will start to question why and also your experience / deal experience.

I also echo the fact that blind resume drop is most efficient, however networking will never hurt your chance.

There's nothing morally wrong, but is that really a mindset that people should have? Fwiw, I also take issue with the people that say they want to go into banking purely for the exit opps. It's just not the right mindset to approaching any task.

That is super narrow minded. I have been in my job now for 2 years and that doesn't mean I don't think of lateraling. I took the job after college because I didn't have a better job offer. I have to work because I need to pay back student loan and the short answer is always money. Let me put it this way, I speak to my VPs and MDs and no one is there working in banking for self fulfillment. They are working because they need to collect paychecks. Lateraling / Good Exit Opps = High paycheck or potential higher pay. This is banking, you're not saving the world.

Blanditiis velit et non consequatur. Ut saepe et sit consequuntur sint tempore. Soluta qui aut nisi. Vitae fuga molestiae deserunt.

Eos repellendus amet enim qui. Alias qui quis deserunt est illum quo possimus. Libero labore dolor ratione ut dolorum architecto. Ratione laborum in ea dolorum. Et non beatae est dolor qui incidunt.

Ex rerum eveniet tempore dolore. Molestias illum et quasi. Non quidem aut qui aut dicta saepe dicta.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”