Only contribute up to the match. Go aggro in equities with the rest of my cash 

Most Helpful

I normally only contribute up to the point that my company matches. With a 401k or IRA you can not withdraw from the account before you're 59 1/2 without penalties and paying income tax on your withdrawals. If you are ok with that, then go for it, it could be a good way to save for retirement. Just keep that in mind if you are depending on this money for a "safety net". 

How I would prioritize savings: 

1. Emergency fund: 3 - 6 months of expenses. With things as crazy as they are right now, I would go on the higher end
  2. Max out 401K to employer match. I would do Roth, which means you will pay taxes now and not when your balls are wrinkly and in a higher tax bracket
  3. Contribute what you can to index funds via a brokerage account (ideal would be 15-25% take home pay) - this allows you to get in the market but not tie your money up until you're half dead 

Just my 1x10^-6 BTC

FelipeStache

1. Max out 401K to employer match. I would do Roth, which means you will pay taxes now and not when your balls are wrinkly and in a higher tax bracket

Would we still be paying taxes in that higher tax bracket if we wait until after we retire to draw from the 401k? Because wouldn't our income go way down then?

Array

To be completely honest with you, I am far from an expert on this, so take what I say with a grain of salt. With a Roth 401K all of your contributions and gains are tax-free after 59 1/2. So your money is able to compound tax free (so no capital gains). That is not the case with a traditional 401K. That being said, the benefit of the traditional 401k is that since your contributions are pre-tax more of your money is actually being invested and compounded. There are quite a few online calculators that can show you the differences based on your inputs. 

To specifically answer your question re: income at retirement, I personally think I will be withdrawing more in 30 years at retirement than I the amount I am making now. The reason is because no matter how much we try to resist it, lifestyle creep is a real thing. So if I am making 3x what I am now at the apex of my career, my lifestyle is going to adjust accordingly. Probably not to where I need all of that income to support my lifestyle, but likely 70-80%. In order to support that lifestyle in retirement, even if I cut it back to 50%, would require me to withdraw more than I am making now.

Anyways, that's how I think about it. They both have their merits, the fact that it is even on your mind means you're ahead of the curve, you're going to be fine either way. 

Yep, definitely maxing it out. Also maxing out IRA. My employer offers both traditional and Roth 401k and I usually do a 50/50 split (I really should go full Roth but haven't pulled the trigger yet). In my opinion, yes the 401k is good for tax reasons but what I like about it is how automatic it is and how it directly comes out of your paycheck versus coming to your bank account and then leaving. Makes it feel less painful and gets me used to living on the portion coming into my bank account.

There are also some pretty complex ways to access the money before 59.5 (look up "Roth IRA Ladder") so I'm not too worried about it, plus expect to have a pretty decent non-401k savings by the time I want to retire.  

Thats what I do now. The bonus easily gets you to max contribution of $19.5K. 

It's my understanding your taxable income for bonus is reduced because you funded the 401K with pre-tax bonus money. Quite frankly its better to do it like this versus having the govt hold 50% of your income via tax and getting a portion of it back via tax return. 

Makes sense to do the highest possible contribution now during covid especially if you've moved home or something. Personally as a first year analyst a few years ago, I honestly didn't contribute as I was living in an apartment which was too expensive and was partying too much to be fiscally responsible. After that I did the maximum match to firm contribution but after joining PE I did the full 19.5K p.a. contribution.

I am now as an analyst but I regret not doing more sooner, I didn't contribute near the max when I first started. For reference, I work in lower middle market (firm name pops up on some threads here but not a name brand place) and our comp is pretty dependent on bonus and I still was fairly comfortable socking away $19.5k this year.

Sint doloribus quam similique iste ducimus impedit sunt. Et et ea est sunt sed. Sed dolorem facilis non magni nisi praesentium. Ex laboriosam nostrum voluptas consectetur. Modi et nam repudiandae qui sint id fugiat. Sequi odit blanditiis voluptas in facere rerum. Adipisci quo est occaecati amet quo aut illo.

Eius repudiandae asperiores magnam qui eum alias. Blanditiis ex reiciendis et ut. Voluptas earum laborum neque vero. Incidunt cum explicabo animi animi et. Harum aut sit consequatur blanditiis voluptas id. Aut vel aut quidem et.

Non repellendus aut aut cum possimus sed ut quis. Dolores similique amet sed neque. Asperiores reprehenderit eos ipsum culpa non vero sed. Sed excepturi sapiente beatae quo nobis est. Laudantium corrupti rem quidem minima quam.

Quas accusantium quis voluptatem qui deserunt est nemo. Ullam omnis voluptatem pariatur in aspernatur nulla magni. Laudantium et ut odit autem temporibus. Quos consequatur necessitatibus ut aut facere.

Architecto laborum dolores sed voluptatem voluptate veniam fugit. Aut omnis asperiores at. Deleniti sit et assumenda assumenda. Dolores sit consequatur provident voluptas. Architecto aperiam qui qui magnam molestiae numquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”