Anyone else do really bad for SA2021?

No offer life but expected a LITTLE better. I had a 3.7 (non-target, but still a prestigious well known school, just no big finance focus). Had a wealth management internship, VC internship, and IB boutique internship. Networked very hard too. Didn't get many resume pushes (only 3-4) because at my school so many kids want to do IB but there are not a crazy amount of BB alumni. So this means that these analysts have to hand pick their favorite kids out of like 50+ hitting them up. For the interviews I had, I believed I did very very well and have done a million mock interviews with IB analysts. However I guess some target school kids just outperformed me, so thats life.

Curious to hear how you guys did.Have heard from a lot of others that this was a really competitive year.  Really bummed out but I guess I'll keep networking and pushing. 

How many people did you speak with on the phone? At the end of the day, it's just a numbers game. I had my first interview in march, first superday in June, nothing between then and now, and then at the start of October, had two super days and got one offer from it at a top firm. After I accepted, I got two more invites (one to a first-round, and another to a superday). I must have spoken to 100+ people on the phone all while not losing hope (I am from a non-target as well, but didn't have any internship this past summer). Just keep the grind up, and realize that we are going through a black-swan event which no-one expected and it's a difficult situation as a whole right now. 

[Comment removed by mod team]

recruiting isnt over tho I got three first rounds this week

already accepted an offer but curious where conversations go... end of the day you still got hope

I'm a different prospect, but it is a numbers game I had 7 interviews so far (nontarget, low GPA), got dinged from the first round for 4 of them, waiting to hear back from 2, and have one next week (never had a super day yet). After that I have no idea where to look as well

hiring was def down this summer, I know a firm that hired 7 kids from our school and this year hired none

Keep your chin up man. I had like 6 super days and only got one offer at a "lower tier" MM shop. Super grateful for the offer, but definitely felt like I killed a lot of my other interviews and even had very positive verbal and written feedback from interviewers. Sometimes its just the luck of the draw. HR has more of a say than people think.

can i ask you wth did you do to stand out, because all my interviews were behavioral so far (i thought it weennntt amazing, got dinged)

Have you had a wide range of feedback on your TMAY and why IB? Those are vital and pretty much dictate the odds for a next round/offer. I’ve also noticed that a lot of candidates go into interviews not knowing much about the bank, I think that is an overlooked aspect of the interview process. You should know their business model well enough to compare and contrast with other firms. Investor presentations and the like can help out with that.

Sometimes nontarget/semitarget people are expected to have higher GPAs, especially if they are business students. Noticed this at my target/semitarget with an undergraduate business school where everyone who got an offer in IB at a BB or EB had at least a 3.85 when recruiting. Of course there are exceptions, but people's chances are greatly improved with higher GPAs.

Don't lose hope, the United States are a fucking giant country with MM and boutiques in nearly all states. I'm in London and based on personal research I estimate the total number of firms doing investment banking activities there to be only 200-250.

Managed to land a 2021 summer internship at a BB (Citi/Barclays/CS). I go to a target school with a 3.7 but didn't have great work experience. Had a lot of first rounds and a handful of superdays. Rejected from soooo many places and often times I felt that I performed as well as anyone else could during interviews only to be rejected. Not much advice I can give to you except keep trying and keep going. 

non target here, still going through the recruitment process, rejected from 5 firms when I know I did well, still have two more 1st rounds left and than Idk what to do

Just have to keep your head up! Was in the exact same boat earlier this month but things have panned out since! This is a ridiculous cycle, headcounts are being cut and I know dozens of qualified kids in your exact shoes, it is not an indictment of your candidacy. Things are pretty shitty right now, but hopefully on the upswing, particularly for FT potentially.

Repellat exercitationem voluptates atque. Dicta omnis praesentium quos aut ipsum. Sint quae sint et consequatur qui velit. Magni at maxime delectus nemo placeat vel explicabo.

Qui aperiam eos debitis quaerat explicabo itaque. Voluptatum expedita in adipisci nemo perspiciatis. Quod laboriosam et facilis voluptatum quam maiores velit repellendus. Voluptas illum cupiditate explicabo reiciendis delectus optio.

Animi expedita expedita praesentium eaque. Accusamus molestiae quam debitis autem et similique. Nobis tenetur illum in tenetur ut ab dolore.

Aperiam provident autem odio qui. Ut quibusdam doloremque aut cum eum quibusdam qui laboriosam. Et eligendi enim voluptatibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”