Anyone ever heard of a F500 paying for the CFA® ?

I work in FP&A for a F500 and am planning to take level 1 of the CFA® next June. I'm contemplating whether or not I should ask my boss if the company will cover the fees, because it may send a message that I'm planning to leave the company since the CFA® isn't directly related to corporate finance/FP&A/accounting.

Any thoughts or knowledge on someone in corporate finance getting sponsorship for the CFA®? Any advice on whether it's worth asking to have it covered?

Rare but does happen.

I interned at an F500 who sponsored the CFA 100%. Only catch was that they only sponsored you if you worked in a specific department (investment management, FP&A, and treasury).

"Come at me, bro"- José de Palafox y Melci

Looks like a simple expected value problem to me.

(1) What's the risk that your manager is going to begin looking at some other candidate if you inform him of your CFA plans? For the purpose of this discussion, let's call it 50%. (You can adjust the percentage since you obviously have more information than I do). That means the probability that he will not care is 50%.

(1) (Optional) Technically, we should put an intermediate step here, in which we say: 'If he doesn't care, will the Company actually offer financial support? What is the percentage chance of that occurring?' But that gets into a whole conditional probability scenario that I'm entirely too lazy for right now.

(2) Now, what is the benefit to you of the Company's support? The ~$1,000 it costs to take the CFA Level I examination. As specified in (1), there's a 50% of actually realizing that support, so in expected value terms, that's +$500 on the side of asking your boss.

(3) What is the downside? Let's say he starts looking for someone else and comes up with a reason to kick you to the curb in say, 3 months. Assume that if you hadn't told him, you'd be in this job for another year. That 9 months of income -- let's just call it $45,000 -- is your downside. Since you could buy a car today at 0% interest, I'm just going to assume our discount rate is 0% -- I mean, why work in finance if you're not going to get a nice car out of it? There's a 50% chance of this happening, so the downside to you in EV terms is $22,500.

(Of course, getting fired/forced out would lead to other negative (and positive) monetary consequences, but the best models are simple. We continue on this road).

Thus, the negative expected value is ($22,000), which doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Obviously, you would need to question the assumptions of my framework. For one, the downside scenario was exceedingly harsh. Would your boss really kick you to the curb in three months? Probably not -- he probably couldn't even be allowed to. It also depends on your risk aversion and the number of giveafucks you have for your current job.

Tweak the model as necessary. Come back to us with a decision. Thx.

Best Response
atomic:
Looks like a simple expected value problem to me.

(1) What's the risk that your manager is going to begin looking at some other candidate if you inform him of your CFA plans? For the purpose of this discussion, let's call it 50%. (You can adjust the percentage since you obviously have more information than I do). That means the probability that he will not care is 50%.

(1) (Optional) Technically, we should put an intermediate step here, in which we say: 'If he doesn't care, will the Company actually offer financial support? What is the percentage chance of that occurring?' But that gets into a whole conditional probability scenario that I'm entirely too lazy for right now.

(2) Now, what is the benefit to you of the Company's support? The ~$1,000 it costs to take the CFA Level I examination. As specified in (1), there's a 50% of actually realizing that support, so in expected value terms, that's +$500 on the side of asking your boss.

(3) What is the downside? Let's say he starts looking for someone else and comes up with a reason to kick you to the curb in say, 3 months. Assume that if you hadn't told him, you'd be in this job for another year. That 9 months of income -- let's just call it $45,000 -- is your downside. Since you could buy a car today at 0% interest, I'm just going to assume our discount rate is 0% -- I mean, why work in finance if you're not going to get a nice car out of it? There's a 50% chance of this happening, so the downside to you in EV terms is $22,500.

(Of course, getting fired/forced out would lead to other negative (and positive) monetary consequences, but the best models are simple. We continue on this road).

Thus, the negative expected value is ($22,000), which doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Obviously, you would need to question the assumptions of my framework. For one, the downside scenario was exceedingly harsh. Would your boss really kick you to the curb in three months? Probably not -- he probably couldn't even be allowed to. It also depends on your risk aversion and the number of giveafucks you have for your current job.

Tweak the model as necessary. Come back to us with a decision. Thx.

SMH

Fuga quisquam doloremque eligendi dolores necessitatibus voluptatem temporibus. Unde suscipit explicabo illum iste voluptas ab. Veniam quia eum laudantium accusamus architecto. Eos repellat provident fugiat id quis.

Doloremque sed quam cum velit error labore aspernatur. Deleniti repudiandae nam dicta blanditiis et id dolores.

Id repellendus dicta autem occaecati. Necessitatibus magni praesentium sit cupiditate et consequatur. Ut a hic ipsam quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”