I wouldn't say that cash inspires confidence; it means they have no clue what to invest in. They are getting literally 50% of revenue from the iPhone, and I am guessing they are not sure what they can diversify into.

Do they become a software company? Start making tv's, game consoles, etc like Sony? Or do they start vertically integrating their supply chain? None are especially compelling, certainly yielding lower returns than the frothy equity markets we are seeing.

West Coast rainmaker:
Do they become a software company? Start making tv's, game consoles, etc like Sony? Or do they start vertically integrating their supply chain? None are especially compelling, certainly yielding lower returns than the frothy equity markets we are seeing.
If they made a tv and it was successful, their value would up dramatically. Google and apple are destined to compete in the smart tv market.
Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art - Andy Warhol

wtf? TV's, consoles, toasters. dildo's are hardware. Not software. Apple is both a hardware and software company. Although the software is used to power proprietary hardware.

Why would they start manufacturing TV's? It's a low margin business which has become increasingly cut throat the last few years. Hence, you can watch titties in HD on a 50" screen for under 1k.

Netflix would be a good buy if possible. How would they acquire a majority share in Facebook? On the private market? May be. Facebook's not a done deal yet anyway. Would still be too big a gamble this early on to acquire majority share when they could theoretically crash and burn in 3-5.

You know what they may be? Smart. Maybe, kind of? The current financial situation is unsustainable (globally really) and when SHTF , what happens? Things become cheap. Real cheap. Cheaper than they should be. Then you could gobble them up and become master of the universe. Why buy overpriced? What's the hurry?

turtles:
I've been following their finances since I was in 6th grade. If I don't get the bank of my choice I'm gonna work for Apple

Just to put working at Apple (in their Finance/Business Development) in perspective: I got into what most would consider a top group for IBD, but didn't even get a second round at Apple. Also had other friends that got (multiple) BB offers in IBD, but no offer from Apple.

Of course there were other factors at play, but from my experience, saying you're just "gonna work for Apple" is the equivalent of being at a club with a bunch of 8s & 9s around and saying: If I don't get lucky here, I'm just gonna go home with Adriana Lima.

“Millionaires don't use astrology, billionaires do”

Best Response
Nouveau Richie:
Just to put working at Apple (in their Finance/Business Development) in perspective: I got into what most would consider a top group for IBD, but didn't even get a second round at Apple. Also had other friends that got (multiple) BB offers in IBD, but no offer from Apple.

Of course there were other factors at play, but from my experience, saying you're just "gonna work for Apple" is the equivalent of being at a club with a bunch of 8s & 9s around and saying: If I don't get lucky here, I'm just gonna go home with Adriana Lima.

Getting a final round at Google/Apple/Microsoft is not harder than at GS/MS. Those companies are just looking for different set of skills and different personalities. Fresh-out-of-school kids who had final rounds @ Google/Apple/Microsoft probably wouldn't have made it to superdays @ GS/MS

Screw buying Facebook. Apple could BUILD a better facebook for a couple billion. I would join in a second. Integrate it with the iphone, sync it with gamecenter so you can play games with your friends over the iphone. Apple has such a loyal user base and perception of high quality that they could knock it out of the park.

I don't understand why they don't do this. What's Steve Jobs email again?

I bet they are planning to do this (I can only hope, it's so logical). Facebook can (and should) be beaten.

meph:
International Pymp:
I've heard speculation about a bid for Facebook, but that sounds crazy to me. Akamai and other multi-billion dollar targets are more realistic though. There was an interesting article about this in the times like yesterday.

The idea of Apple buying Netflix is pretty interesting as well...

Yea I really can't see Facebook selling before their IPO. Plus I doubt Apple would be able to pull it off because even with Facebook's $50B valuation its trading even higher on the secondary markets at around like $70B.

The idea of Apple buying Netflix doesn't seem like the best acquisition in my opinion. It would make more sense and be cheaper for them to compete with Netfilx than to buy them out - given the legal/technical architecture Apple has put in place to support iTunes and the quality of Apple's brand name. I like Netflix but they might be a little overrated. Look how easily Amazon, Hulu, and others have been able to launch similar services and compete with them.

Hoosier Nation

If I was an apple shareholder, I would be pissed if they started making any of the acquisitions mentioned. Unless there are strong synergies (which I do not see), an acquisition at the valuations of the mentioned companies would likely only destroy shareholder value. I'd much rather see an a dividend or share repurchase.

If I owned apple (which I don't), I would own it because it has generated huge returns on invested capital. If it can't produce the same returns with its cash balance, then please return it to shareholders.

I bet they wait until a Republican takes office and cuts corporate tax rates before they repatriate that cash and buying back shares / paying dividends, etc.

People tend to think life is a race with other people. They don't realize that every moment they spend sprinting towards the finish line is a moment they lose permanently, and a moment closer to their death.

Have you seen the iPad 2 show? Jobs was banging on about how epic, brand new and revolutionary the ipad2 is, although its almost the same as ipad. 2 colours, wow impressive.

Sure they are making great products, but this obsession with apple isnt going to last forever... the amount of energy people spend talking about apple is to high to be sustainable, even if they continue launching new products which will get less awesome with time.

This load of cash should be spent on diversifying their business, maybe have some revenue come from something thats not an apple product (by that i mean something that would bring revenue even if its not carrying the apple brand)

I think they are much more conscious about their cash position than posters on WSO give them credit for.
They hold the cards.
They've been successful.
They will continue to develop new products that tackle a different part of the electronics market. That being said, I think Akamai could be bought, or they will build their own akamai.

joiseyshore:
How about use that money to buy commodities, jack up the commodities prices,and sell them for more dough?

Yea definetly, sounds like an ingenious plan. My prediction is that you will be a premier corporate strategist in the future. You must be a HYPSW grad AMIRITE?

Voluptatibus ut reiciendis dolorem distinctio distinctio. Magnam voluptas eligendi velit doloribus magnam aut consequuntur neque. Maxime quo dolore maiores.

Consequatur unde quo odio nemo nam cum dolores. Culpa incidunt commodi tempore optio et dolor. Dolores et esse ea rem dolorem id. Repudiandae quo quod vel porro beatae error veritatis. Porro error ut distinctio corrupti aliquid maiores error. Sit modi qui quia id ut esse perferendis. Quo excepturi autem dolore veniam.

Sit harum voluptatum voluptatem dolorem quasi aspernatur. Debitis dolore doloremque optio eligendi architecto nihil quibusdam. Sit ea blanditiis laudantium voluptas dolorum repellat.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Itaque vitae minus voluptatum aliquam. Est minus non qui laudantium magnam sed.

Ut eum repudiandae consequatur qui dolore. Aliquam odit repudiandae vel quasi eum molestiae illum. Quia fugit quo minima est amet quia aut repellat. Ad nostrum quos omnis facilis at enim earum id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”