Apple Strategy for $1000 stand?!

Any ideas on why Apple would do this? It does look sleek, but you know China could copy that for $100 bucks, unless there is some expensive raw material on it.

I think the design budget went over and it came out to like $600 cost and $849 price. Someone had to have been like - fuck it ... make it $999. Maybe margins weren’t as good on the computer as originally expected (could be over budget) and maybe they thought they could get some captive pricing into the stand and squeeze out some good margins and get PR on the high price but I bet they thought the PR would be gradual acceptance over outrage... pure outrage lol. But, all speculation.

Thoughts?

I can’t even get a video of the announcement - Apple is cleaning up this mess...

Region

Found a version on YouTube that was uploaded 5 minutes ago with 25 views. The crowd sounded stunned / laughing, and the presenter stuttered his next few words.

I have a lot of Apple products that aren't computers (Thinkpad devotee since the IBM days), such as an iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and Airpods. I have no real complaint with iOS, but I couldn't use a Mac computer for working. They have such condescension toward their professional and creative userbase nowadays. Come on, $999 for a stand?

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

Because someone will buy it. Lots of fanboys out there, and if you can afford to buy a $5000+ mac pro with a $5000 6k monitor to go with it, you can probably afford to buy a $999 stand.

Don't get me wrong, even as a fan of Apple products I would never drop a grand on a stand, but it would also be hypocritical of me to pretend like I haven't wasted a grand on something I didn't really need before either.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Most Helpful

Yes it may be overpriced but Apple has built a really interesting monitor here; this device has technical specifications more in line with professional grade monitors which typically cost between $15,000-50,000 per unit. The cost of a $999 stand is not a substantial issue when your main customers already perceive your product to be value priced.

The main issue with this strategy is that $5,000 for the monitor itself puts it just within reach of typical mass market consumers who most certainly are not regular buyers of monitors priced at this extreme end of the market. Apple is essentially trying to corner the market on professional use monitors by severely undercutting the less price sensitive end of the market while also taking whatever incidental mass market sales they can manage too.

They unfortunately now also need to contend with the fact that their messaging to the public has been essentially tone-deaf and poorly executed from the start. They should have seen how the public would react and instead called this an enterprise bundle or similar.

BTW, no I don't think it is worth $999, but that is not the point.

it's apple so:

• Profit
  • Step 1: make easily replicable object with high price tag
  • Profit
  • step 2: patent it
  • Profit
  • step 3: when china obv copies that shit have trump come down on em in this silly trade war
  • Profit

I think the thing that's so frustrating is that they keep raising prices on EVERYTHING even with only marginal design changes. Obviously, no one knows anything about stands, as most of us just leave it where it is. So on the surface, it looks like a typical Apple play charging more but not offering more. The real problem is not the stand, it's in their phones, which everyone is pretty familiar with being very expensive with no significant added value. The products are great, the pricing is just a slap to the face.

Like someone mentioned - they're selling a $5k tower computer, a $5k complimentary monitor and a necessary stand for that monitor for an additional $999.

After spending $10k for the setup, an additional $999 isn't much. It's a smart pricing strategy IMO. As an average consumer I have no need for any of this stuff so seeing just a stand at $999 is absurd. But when you're buying the whole system it's marginal.

"Out the garage is how you end up in charge It's how you end up in penthouses, end up in cars, it's how you Start off a curb servin', end up a boss"

Vero fugiat provident ex. Impedit labore aut tempora sed aut eveniet nostrum.

Molestiae quas exercitationem architecto laudantium expedita. Aut accusantium harum fugiat est rerum mollitia. Laborum repellat nihil rerum voluptatem. Cum quidem consequatur quaerat magnam quod.

Dolores cupiditate suscipit mollitia est. Dolorum deleniti dicta necessitatibus quo facere. Repudiandae sit excepturi expedita eos corporis eius assumenda. Commodi consequuntur qui quo esse. Repellendus quia amet est reprehenderit et aliquid est. Cum dolores tempore architecto vitae modi eveniet similique.

Aut assumenda minus odio. Itaque eveniet quo provident voluptatem et. Et sed voluptatem cumque quas.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”