Are GH, HL, PWP EB in 2020?

Are GH, HL, PWP EB in 2020?

Looking for New York 2020 boutique ranking but including Lazard, Evercore, Moelis, PJT, Guggenheim, Centerview, Greenhill, PWP, HL

Which of these boutiques would you not accept an offer from and why?

Agree to to this ranking as well, but I would put PWP above Gugg, not in the same line. EVR/PJT have both a killer RX and M&A (or Strategic Advisory for PJT) practice. Same goes for Lazard, but I'm surprised you didn't mention the culture there given you brought it up for Moelis - people are getting cranked for 110+ hours constantly. For these 3 firms, I think regardless of which group you're in, you're killing it. I would throw Centerview in Tier 1 as well - Consumer Retail and TMT have been their top tier groups, but let's not forget about MR's Life Science Group that's all over the HC space.

I would agree HL is the most group dependent - Easily Elite RX group, but M&A is more middle market. I would still consider them EB overall above Gugg and maybe even PWP since their TPH arm has fallen behind.

Most Helpful

Just curious- What is the definition of an EB?

I ran a few numbers just for fun:

2019 YTD (according to website)

PWP Total number of deals: 19 Largest deal: 8bn Deals larger than 1bn: 5

Guggenheim Total number of deals: 17 (advisory only) Largest deal: 11bn Deals larger than 1bn: 5

Greenhill: Total number of deals: 27 Largest deal: 25bn Deals larger than 1bn: 7

Moelis: Total number of deals: 53 Largest deal: 5.8bn Deals larger than 1bn: 7

Centerview Total number of deals: 27 Largest deal: 43bn Deals larger than 1bn: 11

I could not quickly find PJT numbers, but if anyone has them feel free to share.

Also could not be bothered to look at Laz or EVR - they do a lot of deals.

Compare with number of bankers at each firm to find the probability that you will be working on a 1bn + deal.

Jim Bateman:
Just curious- What is the definition of an EB?

I ran a few numbers just for fun:

2019 YTD (according to website)

PWP Total number of deals: 19 Largest deal: 8bn Deals larger than 1bn: 5

Guggenheim Total number of deals: 17 (advisory only) Largest deal: 11bn Deals larger than 1bn: 5

Greenhill: Total number of deals: 27 Largest deal: 25bn Deals larger than 1bn: 7

Moelis: Total number of deals: 53 Largest deal: 5.8bn Deals larger than 1bn: 7

Centerview Total number of deals: 27 Largest deal: 43bn Deals larger than 1bn: 11

I could not quickly find PJT numbers, but if anyone has them feel free to share.

Also could not be bothered to look at Laz or EVR - they do a lot of deals.

Compare with number of bankers at each firm to find the probability that you will be working on a 1bn + deal.

Last 2 years would arguably be more applicable. It'd be great if people were able to add analyst class size as well. Would imagine Moelis for example is at least 2-3 times the size of PWP and PJT.

Potentially - but given that most of these random lists are asked as: what is the ranking now, a short term is exactly as bad as a longer term. 6 months is too short given randomness of mandates, two years probably too long given average tenure in this profession - make your own decisions.

What I meant with my post was more along the lines of:

Tons of college kids on this page repeating what they have read before on WSO, rather than checking numbers. If that is the approach you are taking to Investment Banking you will have a short career and a bottom bucket bonus.

Tempore ratione quibusdam magni dolor. Provident dolore sapiente sed quae vel. Illo est corrupti dolor aliquam unde molestias. Fugiat deleniti laborum suscipit delectus ut aut.

Excepturi dolore occaecati est qui. Tenetur officiis eum ex. Natus ratione consequatur quis provident. Earum itaque odio ipsam odio veniam vel vel.

Enim aut itaque qui quidem. Corrupti facilis rem voluptatem quo ut. Dolor ut quo vitae error cupiditate unde ut. Sed et placeat sint atque earum distinctio eveniet iusto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”