Ask DickFuld April 2014

Here are some of the questions Sharon (my secretary) selected for me to answer.

How does one find their path? Every day I wake up and I try to envision where'd I'd like to be, and I'm finding that to be exceedingly difficult to do. I've also noticed that my ambition and unwillingness to settle has caused me to be very picky, which naturally narrows my choices down to only what I perceive as being instrumental in helping me become the best.

Most people don't really find their path per se. They just learn to enjoy the path they've taken or find a way to take a detour. Nobody wants to grow up to be a commercial paper trader, but once I got in that seat, I wanted to beat all of my competition and I learned to love that aspect of my job. If I would have started in another industry, I like to think that I would have developed a passion for whatever that industry had to offer. Would I have been as successful if I had started in another industry? Probably not. But, if my circumstances had been slightly different even at Lehman Brothers, it's doubtful I would have been as successful. To get to the upper echelons, you need to work very hard, be smart, be a leader, and be in the right place at the right time. Being good, or even great, is not enough.

The point is this: get in the game and start competing. Don't be so picky. Point in a direction and run as hard as you can towards the finish line, whatever that may be for you.

Hello Mr. Fuld,
In you post you mentioned that while you attended a non target, you got into Lehman through exceptional networking.

I was wondering if you would be willing to offer any networking tips that you found to be really useful. As a non target student myself, i would like to follow in your footsteps.

Thanks,

Anonymous WSO member.

Contact people and sell yourself.  

How do you sell yourself?  It's a numbers game, get out there and introduce yourself to as many relevant people as humanly possible.  Try to make a personal connection with them through some sort of commonality, whether alma mater, sports, intellectual interests, hometown, fraternity, love of booze, the necessity of oxygen, whatever.  You have something in common with everyone on this planet.  Find out what it is and make a human connection.   

Once you make a connection with this person, make sure you have these answers down 100%:   1) Why you are perfect for this position.  2) Why you want this job and plan to make a career of it.  3) Your story and why it is a perfect fit for this career/industry.  4 ) Any technical related questions relevant to this position.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time making connections with people.  Don't go in for the kill too early or you will fail.  If you have any doubt about how well practiced you are for the most basic interview questions, practice more (a lot more).  The interview starts the moment you make that first contact, even if it doesn't seem like it. Make sure you're ready and confident.

Where are interest rates headed, Dick?.

Up.  Fed Funds will likely stay flat until the latter half of 2015 and should be around 2% towards the end of 2016.  30 year Treasury rates will rise gradually towards 5% and everything in between will move in between those rates.  Expect a rise in rates and a flattening of the yield curve over the next 18-24 months.  I don't expect a significant change in credit spreads in this time frame.

Best Response

Dear Dick,

How many spankings did you give your secretaries everyday? I feel like the healthy answer is around 3 or 4, but I'm not quite sure. I don't want to undercut myself if you did more, because I want to be just like you. Also, was it acceptable to grab ass on the floor, or was it suppose to be a "behind doors" kind of thing? I tried it on the HR chick who walked me around my first day (she gave me THE look), but she said I shouldn't do that here. So I'm guessing only behind closed doors? I want to show my alpha side, but keep finding it more and more difficult due to these unspoken rules. Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely, Your #1 Fan

HFer_wannabe:

Dear Dick,

How many spankings did you give your secretaries everyday? I feel like the healthy answer is around 3 or 4, but I'm not quite sure. I don't want to undercut myself if you did more, because I want to be just like you. Also, was it acceptable to grab ass on the floor, or was it suppose to be a "behind doors" kind of thing? I tried it on the HR chick who walked me around my first day (she gave me THE look), but she said I shouldn't do that here. So I'm guessing only behind closed doors? I want to show my alpha side, but keep finding it more and more difficult due to these unspoken rules. Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,
Your #1 Fan

I would never admit to anything like that. You are free to live your life, but if you ever got caught with any of those shenanigans by me, you would get fired. Use your discretion. I'm a family man and that's how you should portray yourself as well. The reason Sharon has stuck by me all of these years is because I'm a gentleman.

I agree 100% about DF adding a little character to the forum and let's be honest here.....half of the people posting on this site are completely full of shit. The successful VP working in IB....more likely the assistant to that VP that answers his phones. The person claiming to work at that successful HF.....I swear that kid served me my drinks last night at the bar Dick Fuld? Well who knows but at least his comments are insightful, relevant and entertaining.

I've actually learned a lot on WSO about areas of finance that I don't come into contact with in my everyday job. This is what makes weeding through all the stupid posts worthwhile to me. That being said I also keep in mind that 50% of the posters on here are not what they claim.

DickFuld:

I doubt anything meaningful will get done. The US government will generally move in the direction of supporting broader home ownership. As far as FNMA in your personal account.....you're on your own on that one.

Thanks - makes sense. It's such a huge undertaking and I'm not sure who this private entity is that congress is envisioning that's going to step up and front $1 trillion in capital to guarantee the loan portfolios (10% first loss to privates). If it did go through, seems more likely than not to screw up the housing market.

Dick, for what it's worth, I think you're very welcomed addition to the website. Given the amount of pointless threads and debates that go on in this forum, I think that your value added approach is refreshing. I hope more people grow to appreciate your insight so that we can raise the ratio of valuable/useless questions/comments in your threads.

JulianRobertson:

Dick,

Your thoughts on Einhorn's comments that VC/tech is in a bubble? Who is potentially vulnerable if that is the case? Personally I'm thinking SIVB could be hurt the most.

I actually commented on this elsewhere earlier today, which I am posting below. I don't think we're in a bubble, although I admit certain companies are radically overpaying for some apps, most of which are private companies.
DickFuld:
TheSanchize:

I think some people underestimate the extent of the last tech bubble..

This.

The insanity of the market in 1999 can hardly be overstated. Anything with ".com" in the name skyrocketed, many new valuation terms were invented like 'eyeballs', 32 year old sell side equity analysts covering internet stocks were making $5 million per year, some companies traded at thousands per revenue (revenue!), and on and on. It wasn't just Internet stocks that had crazy valuations, but firms like MSFT, INTC, Dell, CPQ, TXN, CSCO ($600 billion mkt cap!), and other companies that made money selling real products and servcices.

Some of these 'companies' had websites that could be better built by someone with no tech skills using a template for $50. Companies like that had $1 billion + market caps.

Truth is that if this is a bubble, get as long as you can right now because this is early stage and this has a lot of inflating to go. This would be like 1997. Personally, I don't consider this a bubble. Certainly a small amount of app companies are valued ridiculously, but it's not pervasive across the entire market.

Ponzi_Scheme:

Per your response on my AMA - You should be on this site seeking advice on financial careers, not giving it. Oh King Sulton - Why are you giving others advice?

Because, unlike you, I have had at least a modicum of success in my career and have also learned from my failures. Both of which are worth sharing. More importantly, the questions posted here were ones that I received via PM on WSO that people wanted me to answer.

There's no need to be so upset because I have pointed out some of your failures. If you really want revenge on me, go out and prove me wrong by being successful. Throwing a bunch of electronic shit at my posts isn't going to give you the same level of satisfaction.

Stryfe:

Did you think James Woods did you justice in Too Big to Fail?

Probably not, but I haven't seen the movie.
Stryfe:

Who loves ribs more, You, or Frank Underwood?

Given that I don't know Frank Underwood, but you know enough about him to ask if either he or I like ribs more, I'm going to assume he does.

BreakingRich:

If you had to rebrand one current BB firm with Lehman's name and take over again, who would it be and why? Bonus points if you demonstrate how keep their current C-level officers around as your monkeys.

There's no firm I would take 100% as-is. The closest would be Credit Suisse. They are a full-service global investment bank and have been able to offer a huge array of services in capital markets and banking (just like Lehman). I like the relative stability that their private banking and Asset Management business gives them, similar to what I was trying to accomplish with Neuberger Berman. The downside is that it is a European bank, so I'd have to see first hand how much of the First Boston scrappy mentality is still present. This would probably require carving out a big part of the firm, especially outside of the US. Interesting question though.

I actually think there is a nontrivial chance this is the real Dick Fuld. He answers a lot of questions with a depth of understanding that go beyond surface level, and he's got big picture sense, which you would expect of someone with his background. You'd think the real Dick Fuld would be off golfing or drinking wine in Lake Geneva, but I suppose everyone gets bored eventually. To the extent he is the real deal, we've got a pretty valuable resource here... so stop asking him about ribs.

jankynoname:

I actually think there is a nontrivial chance this is the real Dick Fuld. He answers a lot of questions with a depth of understanding that go beyond surface level, and he's got big picture sense, which you would expect of someone with his background. You'd think the real Dick Fuld would be off golfing or drinking wine in Lake Geneva, but I suppose everyone gets bored eventually. To the extent he is the real deal, we've got a pretty valuable resource here... so stop asking him about ribs.

Let's not get too carried away :) To be fair DF has clever insights, somewhat knows what he is talking about and is a brilliant troll. Keep up the good work Dickie - love seeing fools getting their panties all up in a twist because of you. You make my day more bearable on slow days. Now let's all sell in May and go away.

Minima vel sint voluptas veritatis hic veniam est. Ipsum ullam eius deleniti dolores sit nisi. Tempora quos odit animi praesentium ratione. Voluptate a dolorem ad et debitis quia eius.

Quisquam et molestiae qui error corporis vitae consequatur. Quaerat in ea tempora sit hic eligendi eum consequatur. Quae qui harum in adipisci enim ea. Aliquid nisi ipsam sed ut alias. Vitae est voluptas velit aliquam laudantium. Amet nostrum nobis magni distinctio dolorem unde. Cum est aut cupiditate id.

Ut quam ut aut corporis. Cupiditate eum eaque quaerat libero. Qui ut sequi reprehenderit eius quos recusandae aut.

Expedita ducimus temporibus eos qui. Corporis impedit quaerat placeat. Cumque quis mollitia nemo culpa enim magnam deserunt.

Ut dolor quia saepe. Deleniti magni earum tenetur minus distinctio iure eos. A quisquam rem delectus cupiditate animi dolor illo. Qui in quia rerum nihil doloribus eius.

Neque ullam libero vel qui sed aut quod. Velit odit recusandae quidem id fugiat. Voluptatem et excepturi omnis voluptatem perferendis laudantium. Aut et amet nesciunt explicabo vel. Illum et in commodi in tempore autem dolor illum.

A deserunt sed architecto totam sint dignissimos harum. Numquam et qui eum quisquam qui. Temporibus nesciunt aut aliquid ut. Earum est cumque quis ea alias eaque. Voluptatibus qui et amet qui ipsam et iste. Aspernatur aut at corporis et dolore modi. Earum facere vel voluptas cum at fugiat nihil.

Veritatis recusandae accusamus molestiae voluptas quis aliquam. Occaecati iste ut dicta asperiores. Harum autem ex nemo aut iure. Aut aspernatur quos fuga atque sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”