Asset Management Internships 2022

Hello, I am freshman finance major from what I assume is a non-target business school. Additionally I have a 3.4/4.0 GPA which will go up based on this semester and I am also eligible for diversity initiatives. I am looking for any Asset Management internships for next summer.

Last year, PIMCO, BlackRock, and Fidelity were the earliest to open. After that, they tend to trickle in slowly even as late as January for say, TCW.

Big firms like Wellington, PGIM, T Rowe, SIG, etc all will have internships in many areas of the business. Wellington opened in October for SA21.

Keep in mind that AMs run far far leaner as firms than most in finance. Globally across all it's departments, GS took 2800 interns in 2019. PIMCO takes less than 200. This is all regions, all education levels, back, middle, and front office. You are going to want to apply to many firms keeping this in mind.

Willis Towers Watson has a list of the 500 biggest asset managers, so you can go down that list and research each of the firms to figure out if their offerings would be of actual interest (many of them will not be). Many AMs by design don't plaster their names everywhere and their internships are less structured timeline wise, so you need to do lots of manual research since there aren't big spreadsheets of postings like there are for IB.

Can confirm this. Person close to me interned at PIMCO two summers ago. 12k applicants, 100-120 interns across entire enterprise. The banks will have more applicants, like 50k to yield 4000 interns (or something similar). Both very selective.  Asset Mgmt firms are tougher to get a seat from a percentage standpoint. No idea what the crossover in applicant pool is, so that would be a factor as well. My guess is plenty just want banking as they see it as the place to start for max optionality.

Both are exceptional career starters. You'll find way more, form a percentage basis, stay in AM as their career.

I’ve been trying to reach out to recruiters so I can hear about next years opportunities ahead of time. So far all I’ve learned is that vanguard doesn’t do much for sophomores except for a feeder 2 day event for their junior internships. My goal is by doing a ton of networking hopefully I can secure something. As I was told that AM is hard to break into but easier to stay in

Don't know if this applies, but PIMCO is one of the primary underwriters / sponsors for the "Women in Investing" program. I think they were the founding members. One of their female MDs is heavily involved in mentoring that group. They and others host participants for internships. If you're female, google that topic and you'll learn about a great opportunity. I'm sure it's quite competitive but worth a look.

Most Helpful

Also, can't speak to the other AM firms but PIMCO recruits from a very small number of schools (much smaller than banking). However, they take kids from lots of places. So I would network via school alum like crazy. Easy to do with Linkedin. I would also reach out to recruiters (Linkedin) and establish a relationship. At my son's school, several kids going to JPMAM and GSAM (ocr or established alumni pipeline. 5 -10 per yr from a small school). PIMCO doesn't do OCR or recruiting at his school, but they were on Handshake. And the few alumni at PIMCO were very helpful which led to many other useful connections. I remember him reading the list of schools that comprised the intern class. There were plenty of the typical H/Penn/Chicago, etc but there were also plenty of others from top 50 schools. Really have to nail your resume, hireview and final round. Very competitive just to get the hireview.

Thank you for the advice. I'll start checking the alumni connections for these firms and increase my outreach to recruiters. Hopefully I can get into the Investment Management Workshop at my school which should increase my opportunities as well

Odit qui eum quam nulla. Incidunt qui saepe consectetur eos rem exercitationem. Laudantium tenetur ea voluptas et voluptas voluptas. Unde architecto quia optio harum in recusandae esse. Quia voluptatem numquam maiores deleniti voluptate architecto totam.

Reiciendis quibusdam occaecati libero et. Sit quia possimus voluptates omnis aut numquam repellendus. Voluptatem deleniti eos repudiandae reiciendis dolorum iusto. Incidunt ipsa quibusdam iure ea quia.

Hic occaecati voluptas et voluptas enim. Officiis accusamus maiores officiis nisi pariatur magnam consequatur. Autem tenetur sed voluptate itaque est iusto ex dolorem. Commodi veniam odio architecto omnis. Est numquam distinctio rem. Laudantium aut sunt officiis consequatur deleniti non nostrum sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (199) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”