AT&T makes bet on video with $48.5 billion DirecTV bid

AT&T just announced that it plants to buy DirectTV for 48.5 Billion!

AT&T Inc plans to pay $48.5 billion to buy DirecTV, in the latest sign that the wireless industry and the U.S. television market are set to converge as customers consume more video on their mobile devices.

I think they may possibly be following in the steps of Comcast / Time Warner, although I'm not sure if either merger will go though due to regulatory concerns. That is a lot of people impacted by a merger and I'm not quite sure for the better. Although I am currently both a DirectTV and AT&T customer so maybe it'll be buisness as unusual afterwards.

"It gives us the parts to fulfill a vision we have had for a couple of years, that is, the opportunity and the ability to take premium content and deliver premium content over multiple points for the customer, whether it be through a smartphone, through a tablet, or television or laptop," said AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, speaking on a conference call.

One real thing that DirectTV does have is its exclusive NFL Sunday ticket package.

So monkeys, what do you think?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/us-directv-att-idUSBREA4B0W22…

What he really meant to say, was to deliver semi-premium content across multiple devices with throttled usage should you have the audacity to actually use them.

This strikes me as elimination via consolidation in an industry where there are fewer differentiating factors to compete on so might as well scale up and corner as much of the market as possible.

complete agree with Addinator. start pissing all over your market and/or start buying the other companies.

additionally, regulators are getting worried that media is gradually coming under the fold of several behemoth. we know where that can lead.

i'm not smart enough to do everything, but dumb enough to try anything

Best Response

Pretty interesting group of advisors on this deal according to DealBook:

AT&T – Lazard – Sullivan & Cromwell – Crowell & Moring – Arnold & Porter – Sidley Austin – Kellogg, Huber, Hansen, Todd, Evans & Figel – Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher

DirecTV – Goldman Sachs – Bank of America Merrill Lynch – Weil, Gotshal & Manges – Jones Day – Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis

It seems that a ton of other firms are locked up in the Comcast-TWC Deal:

Comcast: JPMorgan Chase, Barclays, Paul J. Taubman by himself, and the law firms Davis Polk & Wardwell and Willkie Farr & Gallagher.

TWC: Morgan Stanley, Allen & Company, Citigroup, Centerview Partners and the law firms Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.

I think ATT is both too late and to early to the party. I think this merger is likely to be shot down if the Comcast TWC merger is approved. This could also be a move by ATT to attempt to block the Comcast TWC deal by pissing off the regulators and just having them tell everyone to go back to their corners. The public is pissed off about the net neutrality rules that are being made, albeit for all of the wrong reasons and most of them actual support what they say they don't want. But that's a different discussion.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Faber seems to be reporting that AT&T can walk if DirecTV isn't able to renew rights to NFL Sunday Ticket.

Overall, it'll be interesting to see if it gets through regulatory scrutiny. It's a huge consolidation. I think they will be hoping for TWC to set the precedent and then get the T deal to go through right after - not sure if that would happen. I'm not sure either will pass, though - maybe some more concessions would help?

Remember AT&T is the same company that sold off their Wireless company and then realized "We've made a HUGE mistake!"

"Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money." - Mickey Bergman - Heist (2001)

Animi ut cupiditate natus rerum dolorem. Est ullam veritatis recusandae deserunt est natus. Est voluptatibus culpa veniam fugit nemo at minus. Nihil minus illum veritatis dicta eveniet repellendus. Deserunt rerum mollitia commodi architecto. Deserunt quis sit voluptatem mollitia est aliquid architecto velit.

Aut vel quo et quaerat ipsum autem deserunt. Aut aspernatur quisquam possimus. Cum incidunt non nam voluptatem et.

Then nothingness was not, nor existence. There was no air then, nor heavens beyond it. Who covered it? Where was it? In whose keeping? Was there then cosmic water, in depths unfathomed? -- Nasadiya Sukta

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”