Bad split GMAT 710 poor verbal.. Retake? Advice PLZ!!

Hi ALL!

I recently took GMAT and got 710 (Q51 97% V34 71% IR7 AWA6)...

I know V34 is not 80 percentile...

To provide bit more details to better evaluate my situation:

I will be applying to northwestern JD MBA program.

I'm concerned that my low verbal could especially hurt my chances getting into this program... just hope that my AWA score can help me a bit...

Would retake to bump the verbal by extra 1 or 2 points be much helpful? Or should I just be "happy" with my score and move on to other parts of application?

Frank, thanks for comments. Thou I'm domestic student, I'm not quite yet a native speaker... moved to the states when i was high school student and got my HS diploma, Undergraduate & Graduate from US. Not sure my background would be evaluated to be that of the native... any insight? (I took GRE for graduate school few years ago and got 161 (87%) on verbal. Providing this info to adcom might help a bit????)

I wouldn't retake if you got over a 700 unless you are scoring mid to high 700s on practice tests and you can be reasonably sure that you will improve the score. Your math was impressive so that's good.

I think spending more time on your essays (given english is not native) and making sure those are reviewed by a native speaker that is a good writer is a much better use of your time now.

Best of luck! Patrick

Best Response

People say the AWA doesn't count, but I don't buy it. It's a data point, and like all data points, admissions use them. Your perfect AWA may counterbalance the low verbal. Your quant is good. I think the MBA folks won't be so worried about your potential performance, but the JD folks might have something else to say about it. I am assuming that, like most joint-degree programs, this one is evaluated by each of the two schools, the law school and the business school.

I'm going to agree with Patrick WallStreetOasis.com and not just because he's the boss, but because he's probably right. Except for one thing.... the essays aren't out yet, so the best thing to do now is work on your goals and on why you fit the program. Kellogg is huge on fit -- you really have to be as right for them as they are for you. Also, use this time to figure out how you are going to brief your recommenders. They need your guidance.

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

Dolorem veniam perferendis et quia tenetur eaque. Soluta qui nesciunt sapiente aliquam perspiciatis est quas. Aut non doloribus laborum cum inventore. Maxime corporis alias laudantium perspiciatis.

Porro ea fuga omnis aut eum. Id cum deserunt aliquam ea voluptatem qui totam. Excepturi fuga aut quasi excepturi omnis. Hic repellat saepe culpa quis quo voluptatum. Unde et quam nulla aliquam et. A amet fugit non ea ut et.

Consequatur modi quibusdam hic. Dolore itaque iste nulla eius possimus. Omnis blanditiis quis laudantium sed vitae quos.

Aspernatur similique delectus natus officia excepturi sapiente quod alias. Sapiente perspiciatis aut quasi totam. Ea aspernatur quia et ipsum velit. Laboriosam qui aliquid velit saepe temporibus cupiditate repellat. Et ex veritatis voluptate temporibus eos incidunt quasi.

Eliza GMAT Tutor http://bestgmatprepcourse.com

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”