Barclays Group Placement (2021)

I know there is another thread on this but was wondering what group placement is like for full-time people who didn't intern the past summer. I just received an offer and was wondering if all the top groups (P&U, Nat Res, etc) were already taken by this past summers interns. Thanks in advance!

What did you rank the product group on your list? Did you have it kinda high or was it dead last and they just gave it to you

SA group placement for the top groups was hard enough for my friends at Barc, I can only imagine what it's like full time. My $0.02:

The good news: Nearly all of coverage (sans maybe Real Estate) consistently send people to the buyside for those who want it and are great groups for those who want to stay, although there is variation in outcomes. 

The bad news: Each coverage group is pretty small in its analyst class sizes and Barc is generally known for high return offer rates to SAs - furthermore, ECM and DCM are included in IB at Barc. Whether you can get a top group like Nat Res will largely be a factor of how many spots that group gets.

Advice: Barc's largest coverage groups by far are Industrials and FIG. Industrials gets shit on on this site because it's a sweatshop, but so are most other groups in banking with dealflow. They sent 2 kids to Apollo from the same analyst class a year or two ago and those weren't outliers. FIG also has great exists, granted not really generalist. Be smart, play the numbers game, and don't underestimate how much alumni will vouch for you just because you're from the same school.

Did your friends mention how people end up in DCM/ECM? If people want coverage do they end up in coverage? Or do a lot of people end up forced into DCM/ECM?

Most Helpful

Per my last post, I think the people who want coverage and end up in ECM/DCM:

1. Didn't network hard enough with coverage teams. If you want to get into a coverage team, you should have spoken with every analyst in that group at least and hopefully the staffer as well.
  2. Were too selective about the groups they looked at, and didn't have a target school background to back that up (i.e. "I'm only going to network with Power and Nat Res because they're top"). As I said, just on a pure numbers game basis (# of spots / # of people wanting those spots), I'd be looking at Industrials, FIG, and maybe even Tech if you don't mind bad WLB. At Citi/CS and other lower-tier banks, 2-3 groups get the bulk of the top exits and all the fun work is done by the M&A/Sponsors groups - at Barclays, basically every coverage group is a blended M&A/coverage group due to in-house M&A and all coverage groups have solid-to-extremely-good exits.
  3. Overlooked Lev Fin (separate from ECM/DCM). Although it has more of a capital markets focus due to Sponsors running the model and execution, it's still Levfin and people exit from that group to PE regularly.

Hope that helps - my friends are all having great experiences there.

Anyone else having a hard time networking with different groups right now? Also when is placement day for SAs and why is it so late?

I think it’s just due to culture / work-life balance. I heard some horror stories about the group while recruiting and during group placement. Plenty of people told me to stay far away from industrials. Which is why I was shocked when I realized they actually do pretty well, their reputation isn’t because of bad deal flow - could argue that it’s the opposite, the good deal flow drives a rough culture. I know they absolutely own the airline sector. I don’t know what other verticals they’re strong at but I’ve seen league tables and they’re near the top most years. If you’re willing to put in the work, it’s probably a better spot than most make it out to be.

Culture in industrials is brutal in terms of treatment of analysts. They’re known to have the most difficult MDs to work with and a lot of the VPs and associates muddy up the waters as well, so the analysts end up working a lot more than necessary. Deal flow is strong though and people place well. I hear building products and EV have done well in addition to airlines. 

Any other thoughts on this? Would it be smarter to take a coverage/m&a group at a bank that is generally worse? Instead of risking it and getting into a DCM/ECM role?

If you're not at an EB (where group matters less because it's all M&A/RX or group placement isn't a thing) or GS (where you get your offer into a group with your SA offer) every other bank will have a very similar process of accepting the offer and then figuring out placement afterward. Recent bad publicity about low bonuses aside, analysts seem to really like Barc and place well out of coverage. Read other threads about BofA/Citi/CS and "generally worse" banks and see just how few groups consistently place to MF/UMM/HF etc.

Dolorum distinctio repellendus et quia accusamus. Aut quod fuga sapiente quas quam. Alias exercitationem cupiditate accusamus reiciendis consequatur. Hic eum tempora modi ea in corrupti iure. Quia necessitatibus et sit sapiente earum. Sed vel velit quos distinctio qui dolore.

Incidunt excepturi voluptatem et sed sed. Tenetur et natus eos ut aperiam optio. Optio ut voluptatum non sunt.

Commodi perferendis qui eos beatae quas accusantium qui. Natus non saepe at distinctio aut et. Dolorem asperiores voluptate aperiam est fugit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”