Barclays vs. Citi SA?

Besides just looking at league tables which is better for opportunities?

For example it seems that Barclays is known for having a higher return rate and opportunity to do M&A within groups with a strong culture. I have heard bad things about Citi in regards to culture.

Can anyone shed light on pros and cons on both of these options?

Hey ngreenbanker2, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I am sad to say, but this thread is lonely, so thought I'd post in here to try and help out. Some potential topics that might help:

If we're lucky, the following pros may have something to say: Char fanglinfinance kathryn-walsh

You're welcome.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

I am interested in M&A but do not have any connections at Citi (alumni meaning), I am open to any group honestly.

I heard that Barclays allows analysts to do M&A within coverage groups, do you know about this?

Does citi also allow this?

Congrats on the offers.

You're going to be fine either way, but I'd advise you to pick Citi. Both have relatively high return rates and are bulge bracket banks, but in terms of group placement risk, I'd say Citi is a much better option. Because you are interested in M&A, Citi is a lot less risky since you cannot be placed into groups like ECM/DCM (whereas with Barclays, this is a very real risk). And the fact that Citi has a dedicated M&A group does not mean you will not get any M&A experience in the coverage groups. Sometimes it just depends on capacity and which MD sources the deal. Just my two cents.

While I take your point that the OP risks placement into capital markets at Barclays, I don't think s/he will have much of a problem if they have as strong (or even just decent) of a network they say they do. SAs aren't directly placed into a group upon getting an offer so they get plenty of time to network into a group they actually do prefer.

OP, I recommend going with the culture that makes the most sense for you as the whole placement process works itself out via networking process. Better fit = higher likelihood of a return offer.

Culture is definitely important (and I understand what you're saying), but I personally think that it is tough to make a choice between two banks based on rumors/hearsay about "culture." If the choice were between two specific groups, then that would be a more concrete decision to make, but within each bank, the culture between various groups can vary greatly. Also, culture is inherently subjective. The only way to be 100% sure about culture is to work with those people. You can be somewhat certain about the culture in a group if you have met and talked with a lot of the people in the group, but in my experience, even someone who you can get along with may not be someone who you'd enjoy working with.

Moreover, both Citi and Barclays have extremely high return offer rates. I don't think return rate is a significant enough of a difference to matter.

Have you spoken to Barclays CEO/top executives or just read an article in Financial Times? Not fighting if Citi is better choice or not but giving people any piece of advice based on press rumours is like saying "You have to leave GS now, Blankfein is gonna retire this year and I heard they will go down". See the point?

Controversial

I see your point but personally I disagree. Barclays IB is closer to competing with UBS, Nomura, SocGen than the other BBs. While All of S&T is being threatened everywhere, Barclays is especially bad at it. So you have a BB that has a weak Investment bank and Markets division. On the other hand you have Citi which has one of the best M&A deal flows, is arguably one of the strongest banks across US, EU and Asia, and every year kids choose Citi over firms that (often) are considered to be more prestigious. I highly doubt anyone is going to take Barclays over GS.

Finally, while it is relatively unimportant at a junior level, Jes Staley is incompetent like no other BB CEO

Most Helpful

Personally, I think Citi has the edge in terms of deal flow and general momentum versus Barclays but I also suggest reflecting on who do you think you had a better experience with during your interviews/where you might fit in better culturally.

I've had friends on both the IB & S&T side of Citi leave early solely because of how much they hated the culture, but also have met individuals who've genuinely enjoyed their experience. I don't know if there's a right or wrong decision here and Citi has dedicated greater resources towards expanding its IB platform, but I think the points on culture others bring up are important to consider.

Pick whichever bank you have made the best connections with. Deal flow will be similar unless you're in the best/worst groups at each. Culture differs a lot but will depend on how you fit in and your own personality.

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

Architecto cum qui et ducimus ut natus neque. Sint dolores velit dolorem vel deleniti possimus dolores. Dolor reprehenderit eum quod numquam. Nobis aliquam quos ipsa sapiente veritatis ad illo. Consequatur ad dolorem odio qui et magnam.

Qui molestiae dolor est autem vel. Magnam sapiente repellat labore excepturi quae magnam. Neque et odit ipsam voluptas quo et fuga.

Hic exercitationem doloribus maiores rerum ut dignissimos aut. Autem expedita veniam quasi doloremque similique laborum consequatur dolores. Numquam aut vero impedit odit in cumque natus. Ad saepe enim eos quo.

Non sit facere quos quas. Aut id qui dolores id quia. Culpa vel adipisci sequi adipisci adipisci voluptatem.

Porro quaerat corrupti tempora animi modi esse quae. Veritatis veritatis excepturi mollitia. Impedit nisi et molestiae perferendis possimus est facilis. Ad sequi quo excepturi. Omnis optio aut consequatur sit. Sint saepe asperiores ab placeat expedita. Voluptate aut asperiores quia est dolorem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”