bb chicago or mm chicago for IB?

I received offers for analyst from a BB (think CS, UBS, Citi) and a MM (Baird, Blair, Piper) both located in Chicago. Which would be better in culture, deal quality, exit opps etc?

Funniest

As far as chi goes, I’d take Baird/Blair > Citi > CS > Piper > UBS. Baird/Blair b/c Chicago is their IB hub. Really depends on what sector you want for these two. Baird has robust Industrials group and WB used to have great tech group, but recently, two rainmaker MDs left to start Gugg Chi. Citi has a large presence compared to other BBs. CS rainmaker MDs left and went to GS. Piper if it’s okay the Sandler group (believe they’re still in different offices) and your interested in FIG. UBS’ group there is like 5 people.

Yeah apparently the UBS office doubled their intern class for this summer and hired a couple laterals.

Spoke with the MD running the Chi office, they are overly staffed. During the conversation, the lateral analyst haven't start yet, and he's thinking about cutting him b/c they are over staffed. They also over hired SA, so not everyone going to convert. As per conversation that took place few months ago, they aren't going to hire for at least 2-3 years on the analyst level.

Congrats! My take:

Culture: Baird and Blair are known for their culture. Nice people, generous pay, structured work/life balance within reason. Citi Chicago has a solid, pretty fun group as well. Not enough intel on CS/UBS. Heard mixed reviews on Piper (more group dependent, less support).

Deal quality: Mixed--the Chicago BBs can at times play more like MMs. But, the upside is higher, so the chance to work on larger, more complex deals is there. Deal flow on the other hand will probably be stronger at Baird/Blair, depending on group.

Exit Opps: I would argue Citi would have the best. Analyst exits, the edge is usually to BBs but with these other names potentially group dependent, a bit lower for Piper. As you probably know, BB name recognition helps in PE recruiting (especially NY) as there can be a MM bias, albeit perhaps slightly less so at these MMs--and certainly less so for Chicago recruiting.

Do you have a group preference? Do you for sure want to go PE? If you have any interest in A2A, both Blair and Baird offer that much more often.

I think this is pretty accurate. I know a couple of the analysts at Chicago BBs have gotten MF offers, while Blair/Baird will basically only send to MM PE. So if you're looking to maximize your exit opportunities, probably Citi > CS > Blair/Baird > UBS > Piper.

OP here! Thank you for that information, it's definitely helping me make a decision. I don't have a group preference, but industrials is an easy option since it's Chicago and I have a background interning at manufacturing firms so I've always found it interesting. I don't for sure want to go PE since I'm still exploring my options, and I have the time to do so, but if I had to pick today where I'd be in 5 years, PE sounds like a safe bet. In that case, it sounds like the BB is the better choice?

Most Helpful

This is a damn train wreck in here. Citi will have your "best" exit opportunities given their presence and commitment to Chicago as well as the fact that their Co-Head of Global M&A, Cary Kochman, sits in Chicago. UBS is a shell of its former Chicago self, and CS is a large group of Chicago Booth associates and senior bankers that are pleasant enough. If forced to decide between these three platforms, you should take Citi and never look back. For others lurking online, Barclays and J.P. Morgan have very built out Chicago presences as well.

Baird and Blair in Chicago will be group dependent although both firms will give you plenty of deal experience during your analyst stint. Yes, Guggenheim began a middle market practice in Chicago with two ex-Blair senior bankers and one ex-Lazard senior banker. Guggenheim will play in certain niche technology spaces. As others have mentioned, Piper is quite strong outside of Chicago, especially in Minneapolis. Baird and Blair will continue to lead the Chicago banking scene, especially in the middle market.

Cool, thanks. Switching gears a bit, are there a decent number of PE shops in Chicago? And can you offer the names of what supposedly are the best ones?

Prospect in IB-M&A:
Cool, thanks. Switching gears a bit, are there a decent number of PE shops in Chicago? And can you offer the names of what supposedly are the best ones?

"Best" is a dangerous word to use, especially on these forums. MDP, GTCR, Linden, CIVC, Thoma, and Pritzker are some staples. There are plenty of funds in Chicago.

I don't intend to be a hard ass. You'll find that everyone weights certain factors differently. Some want to optimize exit opportunities while others are looking for an experience that doesn't mirror the stereotypical misery of an analyst stint, especially if there is an opportunity to stay as an associate.

Wow, you're a well of information... two more questions, if that's okay:

(1) Have you remained in IB vs. going to PE? If so, can you tell us why?

(2) I didn't know Evercore has such a small Chicago office. It has such a stellar reputation in NYC... would working there in Chicago still give you very attractive NYC exit opps? Or not so much because its office in Chicago is so small?

With respect to staying in banking, you’ll find that certain junior bankers stay because they’ve built serious clout with senior bankers, which affords these individuals greater flexibility with respect to their schedule and personal lives. Some junior bankers don’t want to leave the safe and secure environment of their stable platforms, especially when the buy side might pose the challenge of two years + MBA.

I may have misspoke earlier. PWP is smaller than Evercore in Chicago. Evercore has 6-7 senior bankers in Chicago—a handful came from Barclays. I believe they even have a restructuring senior banker in Chicago.

UBS isn't a BB. Go with Blair/Baird whichever culture you like better at that point.

CS is very good in Chicago, underrated on WSO. Had exits to GTCR, KKR in the past few years.

Citi is solid in Chicago, can’t go wrong there but something to be said about a satellite office vs HQ for a major US bank like that.

Blair is really good, great culture and major hub is Chicago. Baird UBS and Piper below these three.

I’d go CS/Blair>Citi>Others (dependent on fit of course)

Valid concerns regarding American BB satellite offices; however, two managing directors in Chicago began their banking careers with Citi in Chicago. Outside of the Global Head of M&A sitting in Chicago, I believe Chicago is also one of their Global Industrial hubs.

Are u two taking into account CS lost two big shot MDs in business services to Macquarie a year or two ago?

I think beyond what @Perfunctory" has already said about Citi Chicago (incredibly comprehensive), the office operates in a generalist model (M&A modeling because of Cary and traditional coverage). Effectively Midwestern coverage-- Industrials, metals & mining, consumer, a little healthcare.

I'd qualify it as a boutique experience in a bulge bracket setting.

Goldman Chi is pretty good, 1 or 2 groups with about 25 employees. Similar to other BB satellites in Chi. HL Chi is a sweatshop, but has great deal flow and one of the top Food & Bev groups in the country.

Libero culpa rerum placeat molestiae veritatis beatae doloremque nam. Minus blanditiis ea dolorem hic. Hic ipsa atque quo voluptatem quia laborum laudantium sit. Consequatur et soluta itaque. Amet deleniti adipisci inventore dolor. Eos voluptatum et corporis consequatur adipisci alias ut pariatur.

Et officia itaque sit odit accusantium assumenda nam. Sit animi qui est quis eius. Ex deleniti ut velit voluptatem rem praesentium alias. Et quia quaerat eum accusamus ullam molestiae.

Omnis rerum non dolorum aspernatur sunt distinctio iure voluptas. Repellendus dolore repellat delectus sed et dignissimos dolor. Et dolorum sit blanditiis molestiae id. Cumque reiciendis beatae quisquam voluptas nihil eos occaecati omnis. Impedit accusantium autem recusandae dignissimos vitae eum quo sint. Consequatur suscipit similique tenetur dolorem. A magni sunt dicta repellat corrupti.

Unde est odio unde illo. Ut vel ut dicta aut facere quia voluptatibus. Quis et odio aut enim nulla. Tempora deserunt eligendi qui dolorem explicabo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”