BB S&T 2012 HELP!

I’m in a bit of a situation and could really use some advice. I really want to make it to superday for S&T in equities or FI. I will be a junior this fall semester and I have no finance related work experience on my resume, but have recently landed a Morgan Stanley paid PWM internship, so I expect to be doing some decent and meaningful work rather than just cold calling. I have done a 5 day Bloomberg boot camp with lots of presentations done and learning how to use the terminal along with learning how to use it with Excel and creating custom data charts. I’m also from a semi target university with a 3.76 GPA and expect to have a 3.8 by end of the fall semester. I’ve also been accepted into a Wall Street leadership program at my university that is highly selective. It provides excel training/financial modeling provided by Training the Street, exclusive networking with alumni from GS, JPM, MS and CS along with a JP Morgan case study competition. I also keep in touch with two alumns, an analyst at JPM within S&T and a Goldman alumn who I hit it off with during a networking event. I’m also going to join a student organization that focuses on managing a virtual portfolio.

So that’s my background and I feel behind in regards to my club experience and work experience as my interest in trading developed after I won a market making competition hosted by JPM at my school and visited the bank’s trading floor to network/shadow. Any advice would be appreciated in regards to what my chances are for receiving an interview, how I can improve my resume, etc. Thank you everyone in advance!

Best Response

you have a solid foundation in place, GPA is high, have a brand name on the resume and have fairly solid leads on networking. Your best chance is the networking through alums and the WS leadership program. If you are genuinely interested in trading this will come across to them. My advice would be to ask the analyst at JPM to maybe make an introduction to someone in an area you are interested in within trading. The more defined your interests are, the easier it is to network with people on the trading floor. It is a lot easier to contact an options trader saying you are very interested in a career in options than doing a general "I want to be a trader" type of thing.

derivstrading:
you have a solid foundation in place, GPA is high, have a brand name on the resume and have fairly solid leads on networking. Your best chance is the networking through alums and the WS leadership program. If you are genuinely interested in trading this will come across to them. My advice would be to ask the analyst at JPM to maybe make an introduction to someone in an area you are interested in within trading. The more defined your interests are, the easier it is to network with people on the trading floor. It is a lot easier to contact an options trader saying you are very interested in a career in options than doing a general "I want to be a trader" type of thing.

Thanks a lot for the advice as it has alleviated a lot of anxiety for me because most people do frown upon PWM as it involves bs work and I would like to leverage my PWM internship for something better unless I have to intern for MS the whole semester.

Sed porro et voluptate voluptatibus sit aut accusamus. Aspernatur sed est aut repudiandae error facilis enim. Qui ut facilis dolorem sequi animi. Debitis nesciunt libero quis quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”