Below 8,000... Now What?

So the Dow dropped below 8,000 today for the first time since early 2003, where do we go from here?

This mysterious 8,000 number has been fixated on by pundits and economists ever since the financial world started to fall apart. Is there another number you guys are hawkishly eyeing? Is it the unemployment rate? The countdown till Obama takes office? The latest astronomical layoff numbers at Citi? The amount Wall Street bonuses will get cut? The mpg on GM's next production car? The average SAT scores to get into Wharton?

Let us know.

I think 8000 is artificial and arbitrary. it's psychological more than anything. More bad news means the market will go lower. 8000 is just as much a "magical number" as 7000. or 6000.

grandpabuzz:
I think if it breaks the 7500 mark set in 20-03, it'll go to 6500. Then pop back up in a V shape.

Just a gut feeling.

We finished pretty damn close today. If/when we go below that mark in '03 we'll be at a 10 year low.

My gut's telling me around 6500 for a low as well. There's just nothing we can do that's going to turn the market around anytime soon. Seems that there's three selloff days for every rally right now, and those rallies are coming from value investors.

Dude, I don't know why everyone has this thing for Wharton. I mean I'm at this school, but it's really not all that great. In reality if anyone still wants to do banking he/she should consider other schools where it's much less compeitive and will therefore w/ a good gpa offer a better opportunity than Wharton. In short, I'm definitely regretting choosing this *&%^& place over my other choices.

GoldwingX:
Dude, I don't know why everyone has this thing for Wharton. I mean I'm at this school, but it's really not all that great. In reality if anyone still wants to do banking he/she should consider other schools where it's much less compeitive and will therefore w/ a good gpa offer a better opportunity than Wharton. In short, I'm definitely regretting choosing this *&%^& place over my other choices.

Choose a much less competitive school to get a better job... riiiiight.

You do realize recruiters aren't even going to these less competitive schools anymore, right?

As stated above, you obviously either don't go to Wharton and/or you have no clue what you're talking about.

Best Response

I'll pull up the book value level of the index tomorrow when I have my bloomberg open.

The argument that was put to me on this point recently was that the market shouldn't go below book value because that is the level that individual stocks bounce off historically. Here are my counter-arguments:

1) Japan has already gone below book value quite recently and shows no sign of bouncing.

2) As the market incurs losses, book values fall so the line in the sand needs to be redrawn. These losses can come from unprofitable periods, or from writedowns (as has been seen with the banks for example).

3) (related to 2) Assets should be recorded at the lower of depreciated cost and net realisable value. Ordinarily, an auditor will be fairly relaxed about taking the company's depreciation schedules but this may shock to the system may force them to revise this.

4) Any market, bull or bear, will see asset values overshoot on the up or downside. This is why oil shot to $150 and house prices went to 10x income. Given the fear in the market, there's no reason why capitulation won't come.

Personally, I have been completely out of the market for some time. I've been fortunate to have had some good years and am modestly wealthy by average standards. Doubling my wealth would not really significantly change my life so why be greedy? I can afford not to be even more wealthy but I can't afford to be poor so why take the risk? This has undone a lot of my peers who were fully invested (either through shares in their employer or through PA positions) and are now "forced" to work for another 20 years before they can retire (if they are lucky enough to keep their jobs). I only "lose" if my savings cannot keep up with inflation and it's liquid enough that I can change tack if that becomes an issue. So I'll wait until we come out the other side and won't mind if I miss out on the first 25-50% as long as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ps Why do I have a gold star next to my name? Am I teacher's pet now?

Provident et quia laboriosam officiis. Reprehenderit voluptatem molestias optio debitis et itaque. Quia dicta laboriosam sed iusto omnis.

Ipsum illum consequatur quia earum. Beatae corporis doloremque corrupti libero. Consequatur a et modi dolores. Recusandae ab aut cum totam sit est libero. Quos quia pariatur voluptas molestiae amet blanditiis autem.

Qui consequatur nihil animi quia eos. Eius nihil sunt commodi voluptas. Asperiores aut non ullam est.

Possimus quam et corporis quam laborum similique rerum. Voluptatum ducimus ab earum.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”