Amex Gold is super underrated imo. 4x applies to dining, Uber Eats, groceries, etc. so WFH it is still a great card even if you aren’t going out to eat. Think I get $10 a month in Uber Cash per month as well which almost halved the annual fee. You also get an Uber One pass which applies to your Uber account (discounts and free delivery on all orders, even when using a corporate card / business account for late night office meals).

Second on the amex gold. Great starter card. I got lucky and was able to get a friend to use my refer a friend bonus when they were doing +4 bonus points on everything so I have basically earned an extra 100k points from paying my rent with CC and other stuff. 

I think the pref is better now esp since they jacked up the fees on the CSR (or at least, that's what my Chase banker told me and I don't see how it would be in their interest to recommend I drop a tier down in terms of my CC).

Amex platinum if you travel at least 3-4 times a year. Credits subsidize the cost of the card and customer service is best in class. Lounge access, phone/travel/rental insurance, $200 hotel credit, $200 airline credit, $100 saks, $120 Uber credit are just some of the perks along with elite status at hotels like Marriott and rental car companies (free upgrades).

Have had the chase sapphire reserve for 3-4 years now and it is awesome. Each year I pay for a nice vacation purely with points. 

Since they jacked up the fees I need to see if it’s still worth it..(paying for a $1k weekend trip with points next month but had crazy expenses this year). 

might take out the American Express Blue Preferred and pair that with the chase sapphire preferred.. Love 6% on groceries and use the sapphire pref for everything else. 

Which credit card is best if most money is spent at restaurants?

Most Helpful

Do you prefer cash in your pocket or the opportunity for a YOLO trip?

That should be the first question people ask themselves before beginning to consider which credit card is best and which multiplier is higher. Some cards like the AMEX charge cards (Platinum, Gold, Green, Cobalt - if you're Canadian) are travel orientated cards. They are meant for you to save up points and redeem via their many transfer partners (Hotels and Airlines). It is through this method where you see people going to the Maldives "for free" on points only, etc... What it is not designed for is for you to cash out your points every month, you would only get 6/10ths of 1 cent per point if you do, a meager amount. If you have the time, effort, and interest, this can be super lucrative, especially if you were planning on taking these trips anyways. These cards offer incredible signup offers, have great perks like EQX gym membership discounts, audible discounts, free TSA precheck, etc in addition to free insurance on car rentals, travel expenses, and large purchases. 

Team Cash Back

For those who prefer cash in their pockets or don't want to deal with the hassle of metaphorical coupon clipping and searching websites for point redemption amounts, this is for you. I recommend the following:

1. Citi Double Cash or WF Cash Rewards (2%). Both of these cards offer a flat 2% rate on all purchases. This is your floor, if your purchase doesn't fit into one of the later categories, use this. I'm not one to balk at CC debt, but if you are financially conscious, these cards often offer 12+ months of 0% APR where you only need to pay the min amount. Can help those of us pre-bonus make some sooner than later purchases.

2. Citi Custom Cash (5%). 5% up to 500 bucks monthly on your largest spend category.

3. BoFA Cash Rewards (3% on a category of your choice). Really good for those who bank with BoFA as they have added multipliers for people with larger amounts of assets with them. They give you 75% more if you have over 100k in assets with them (includes savings, retirement, etc).

4. Amazon Prime Card (5% on Amazon and Whole Foods). Pretty self explanatory, just need a Prime Account to get it for free.

5. AMEX Blue Preferred (6x on groceries, 6% streaming, 3% gas). Has a $95 fee but the signup bonus and regular spend should be able to cover it and then some.

Team Travel/Points

Will preface this by saving that unlike cash back, this is not a absolutely quantifiable metric. Everyone travels differently. Some people fly international, others don't even have a passport. All info is for the "average" individual.

1. Amex Gold (4x dining, 4x groceries). Also comes with aforementioned travel coverages and $10 a month of Uber credit and $10 of seamless credit (can also be used at shakeshack and a few other locations). AF $250

2. Amex Platinum (5x on airlines and hotels).  A slew of benefits 10 pages long, will recommend you google it. Great card if you travel a lot. AF $695

3. Chase CSR (3x on all travel, 3x dining). Another card with a slew of benefits, again please google for full list. Biggest benefit is the flexibility of this card. The travel is for all travel unlike amex. I've even used it on a Lime scooter rental and got points for it. Also comes with a $300 travel credit which is basically free money. AF is $550 but effective AF is $250. A must have I think.

For those interested in points redemptions, there's an entire community online about this. Flyertalk, PointsGuy, AskSebby, to name a few. Good luck everyone, if you're gonna spend money, might as well get something out of it.

Dolores sed cum rerum. Omnis fugit dolores et.

Eius dolorum perspiciatis quia qui quo aut pariatur. Odio omnis omnis qui corporis excepturi aut. Nihil aperiam consectetur ut ut. Illo alias necessitatibus sapiente eos ab consequatur. Id dolorem modi aut dolor esse nam repellat.

Quas itaque deleniti at. Tempora mollitia quidem ipsam natus ipsam eius. Excepturi modi officia temporibus iste a et soluta accusamus. Ratione qui est eveniet culpa nihil quia sit ipsum. Enim doloribus voluptatum est excepturi voluptatem. Dolores est dolorem et totam. Esse ea omnis est earum tempore ut.

Sunt in et et id. Voluptatem est unde et qui illum aut repellendus. Quae inventore qui a et error voluptas.

Architecto autem nulla in ipsa ab nam. Esse enim et perspiciatis necessitatibus dolorem. Sunt esse vero ullam in beatae harum est.

Ipsa vel nostrum esse quia deleniti autem. Voluptatem fugiat atque et consequatur labore consequatur. Quis et facere atque nihil doloribus blanditiis quia.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”