WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (23)

Sep 3, 2017 - 5:48pm

Not sure what criteria you'd use for best, but here is my impression of the most sought-after groups by incoming summers:

1. M&A

2. Mediacomm

3. Sponsors/GPUG/Transpo

4. C&R/Industrials

5. Healthcare/Tech (East Coast)

6. FIG/Services/Natres/RE (if interested in more traditional banking exp.)

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Sep 4, 2017 - 7:47pm

They have not had the strongest performances in FX and Rates as of late.

Jack: They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off from that economic crisis that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have zero real world skills, but God they work hard.
-30 Rock

Sep 4, 2017 - 7:49pm

Check out DB or UBS as tops.

Something insane, like 18% of all money going through the FX market everyday goes through DB.

RBS also has a good FX business (~5th)

Best Response
Sep 4, 2017 - 7:51pm

ok time for a reality check here.

FX is not M&A, "league tables" don't mean anything.
Volume of flow is not as indicative of profitability as it might be in banking where fees are pretty fixed.
You can have the most flow in spot/forwards/options and still end up underwater because positioning in the books was... less than ideal.

So to measure how "good" an FX desk is (particularly in more complex businesses like exotics) you should look at a few things

1. risk tolerance and ability to position the books favorably
  2. accuracy of the models used for pricing
  3. general intelligence of the traders (stems from the first 2)

Another thing... if the fx business of the firm in question has solid franchise flow, i.e. corporates who leave a lot of money on the table, the desk may be quite profitable, but thats not because its traders are superstars, its because the sales guys have clients who aren't very spread sensitive, so guess who gets paid in those situations? yes, sales will out-earn trading by lightyears if that is the case... these are things to think about.

Sep 4, 2017 - 7:53pm
lolgpa:
Ok but how are you supposed to know which desk is good if you can't use brand name nor deal flow...

We don't have access to "trader's skill" or pnl...

that's my point exactly... college juniors won't know.... there's no public ranking that can provide any guidance on the matter, so stop looking for it.

the only way you'll figure it out is by rotating on some of these desks, or going in and sitting with a few of them to get a sense of how the desk is structured (i.e. sales driven vs. trading driven... significant corporate flow vs. predatory hedge fund flow... risk taking vs. book flattening approach)

Sep 4, 2017 - 7:54pm
FXTrader:

that's my point exactly... college juniors won't know.... there's no public ranking that can provide any guidance on the matter, so stop looking for it.

the only way you'll figure it out is by rotating on some of these desks, or going in and sitting with a few of them to get a sense of how the desk is structured (i.e. sales driven vs. trading driven... significant corporate flow vs. predatory hedge fund flow... risk taking vs. book flattening approach)

Well then I guess I'll accept MS offer since I have no credible signal and the brand name will help for MBA / Consulting switch.
I don't really plan to stay in trading for ages, maybe 3-4 years to have fun.

Sep 4, 2017 - 7:55pm

Groups at MS/GS (Originally Posted: 03/25/2016)

Just wanted to get a general idea of culture of the Financial Institutions groups at GS/MS as well as the Consumer Retail / Healthcare groups.

I know FIG gets a lot of hype on this forum at both these firms, but does it live up to it in terms of deal flow? You don't see too many M&A news in financial institutions on news sites and things of that nature.

Sep 4, 2017 - 7:56pm

You have a misconstrued idea of deal flow. Statistically, the vast majority of deal flow is not M&A, rather it is loans and debt. Financials are consistently near the top group in new issues and refi's.

In your definition of "deal flow" (M&A), there is plenty of activity in Fin Tech; a quick Google search could tell you that...

Sep 4, 2017 - 7:57pm

MS FIG definitely has strong deal flow. Consumer probably a bit less so but consistently improving over the past few years. Neither group is exactly known for having a good culture.

Array
Sep 4, 2017 - 7:58pm

Nesciunt cum vel omnis non. Quaerat quia sit aliquid odio cumque illum ut.

Impedit consequatur dignissimos est. Velit reprehenderit maxime qui non libero placeat quia. Similique qui doloribus sed. Sed fugiat est animi numquam.

Sep 4, 2017 - 8:00pm

Necessitatibus dolorum quis soluta iusto. Debitis aut dignissimos velit quia illum. Nam eius eos ipsum in. Aut corrupti facere sed. Est nam voluptates quo.

Dolor iste est ex laboriosam ullam dignissimos. Exercitationem dolores asperiores ex voluptas dolores beatae. Architecto corrupti velit nobis. Asperiores molestias sit sint et eligendi. Eum omnis repudiandae quis nesciunt saepe officiis quod nulla. Dolor illo ullam dolores aperiam fugit eius sint. Sequi et autem illum nihil.

Harum a totam omnis quod maiores laudantium eveniet. Quo voluptatum et dolor exercitationem magnam molestiae repellat. Est repudiandae et blanditiis dolore. Id aliquam nobis sit doloribus. Reprehenderit est et magnam omnis ipsum officiis quos. Beatae reiciendis ipsa quia dignissimos harum eos eveniet.

Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

Oncycle is a fucking joke
+189PEby Analyst 2 in IB - Cov
Dating smart girls
+141OFFby Analyst 2 in Consulting
How often do you get "matches" on apps?
+135OFFby Associate 1 in AM - Other
Have you ever sued your employer?
+95PEby Principal in PE - Other
I am done with life
+94OFFby Prospect in IB-M&A
The Qualifications of an EB
+84IBby Summer Associate in IB-M&A
Am I Crazy To Leave a 500K Job for Consulting?
+81COby Associate 3 in S&T - Other

Total Avg Compensation

September 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (38) $367
  • Associates (219) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (133) $153
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (30) $147
  • Intern/Summer Associate (103) $143
  • 1st Year Analyst (484) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (376) $82