Best NES Games (1985)

Yes, that NES. It's a family Thanksgiving tradition that we break out the old console and whoop up on some games. About a decade ago the console stopped working well and we obtained some ROMs with an online emulator. A zip file of 700+ games accompanies said emulator. What are some good games to rip up while we let that turkey digest? Here is what we've tore up in the past.

1. Contra (can beat straight up, no codes)
  2. Mario 3 (We've beat this straight up; no warping. Never could beat Mario 2. Can beat Mario 1 straight up; no warping)
  3. Ice Hockey
  4. Tecmo Super Bowl
  5. John Elway's Quarterback
  6. Battletoads (fun, but wicked hard)
  7. TMNT Tournament Fighters
  8. Original Zelda
  9. Tetris
  10. Excitebike
  11. Mike Tyson Punch Out
  12. Kirby
  13. RC Pro Am
  14. Lode Runner
  15. Wrestlemania
  16. Micromachines

I'm sure there are others. It's intense among the brothers and brother's in law.

ironman32:
Original ninja turtles game was hard as a four year old...looked up the ending recently on Youtube

I don't know if it's an age thing, but I always felt that NES games were harder compared to other console games. For instance, when N64 came out I beat Starfox the 3rd or 4th time I played it. I beat Cruisin' USA in the same manner. I was never able to pass Level 3 on Ghosts and Goblins on NES.

WolfofWSO:
I don't know if it's an age thing, but I always felt that NES games were harder compared to other console games.

100%. Lack of or poor saving mechanisms, glitchy/cheap coding at times, and a lack of pandering to the mass market.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

My bad, didn't read the text in parentheses.

I always get a kick out of what people play that would move the entire controller the direction when they wanted their player to go.

You bring back a lot of memories. I will have to bust out my NES. Super Contra is the best NES game ever.

Most Helpful
  • Duck Hunt
  • Donkey Kong
  • Gradius
  • Mega Man
  • Castlevania
  • Galaga
"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

C.R.E. Shervin:
Contra Super Mario Bros Super Mario Bros 3 Punch-Out Ninja Gaiden Duck Hunt Castlevania Teenage Ninja Turles II(Number 1 was way too hard) Shadowgate

Duck Hunt doesn't work on the emulator, sad.

TMNT is legit. I never could beat the first game, my neighbor was able to. I beat the second one with the code I still somehow remember, ba ba up down ba, left right, ba start.

I have an SNES and NES ROM on my computer (and have the games on Wii/Nintendo switch too. Here's what I like

-Donkey Kong Country (DKC 1)- I finished in under 1 hour (55 or 56 min, I challenge ANYONE to try and race me head to head, I'll destroy u)

-Donkey Kong 2 & 3

-Megaman X

-Megaman X2 (much harder than X, but doable, I love the epic Megaman vs. Zero battle immediately prior to the final boss. And love the music. Very tough battle 1st time.

)

-Megaman X3 (altho not as fun

-Megaman Soccer

-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1 of my favs)

-Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

-Super Mario World

-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

I have to say that the NES has defined my career into adulthood. As a kid, I knew that video games were something special and that when I grew up, I wanted to create them. I had the misconception that a career in making video games meant a career in playing video games

1. Contra
  2. Tecmo Super Bowl
  3. Original Zelda
  4. Tetris
  5. Mike Tyson Punch Out
  6. Micromachines
  7. Castlevania
  8. Tecmo Baseball

Pick your order, but those would be my picks for your upcoming Thanksgiving tradition.

The poster formerly known as theAudiophile. Just turned up to 11, like the stereo.

I like it how this thread comes around every thanksgiving.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Qui enim dolores non voluptatem inventore ex. Quae laboriosam omnis soluta esse veritatis. Dolorem fugit qui aliquid voluptas. Vero omnis officiis corporis fugiat cumque.

Delectus et earum sint et excepturi dolor maxime. Nulla ullam et sint delectus ex architecto.

Et dicta ratione est ducimus vel est voluptatibus. Autem et et ea enim sunt voluptate omnis. Consequatur repudiandae voluptatem aut consectetur eligendi.

Commodi et ratione rerum. Ipsa totam quia explicabo sit ut ut. Sed in pariatur animi laudantium iste adipisci cum ipsum.

Doloremque sequi tempore enim libero. Quas quos id et natus aut rerum. Quis corporis occaecati quia ut dolorem ipsam quo.

Qui deserunt quia libero. Enim corrupti totam blanditiis impedit adipisci qui. Quo vel consequatur unde voluptas esse omnis labore. Enim maxime rerum voluptas praesentium placeat. Et explicabo autem nemo temporibus.

Commodi soluta laborum quia explicabo repudiandae. Voluptatem reprehenderit similique et sint. Aperiam eos a reprehenderit accusamus nam quis ratione.

Tempora doloremque deserunt ea est magnam deleniti. Minima autem perferendis rem necessitatibus odio. Sunt atque eligendi temporibus ut. Commodi mollitia repellat iure non libero commodi. Magni omnis omnis ipsum consequuntur in vitae. Ad modi ut distinctio eos. Nostrum tenetur laborum rerum nostrum rerum fuga ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”