Better on Application: F500 Corporate Finance or MM PE Operations/Consulting?

As the title suggests, what would look better on an MBA application to a top ~25 school: 4-5 years of corporate finance work experience at one or two F500 firms, or 2 years of corp fin and 2 years of work as an operations analyst (middle office/consulting-type work) at a lower-MM (2 bil) PE firm?

Currently considering leaving my F500 corporate finance role and have an offer from a LMM PE firm. Have my eye on applying to MBA programs this year or next and am weighing up which one would look better on the application. Thanks!

Hi Anonymous Monkey, upload your resume and land a job

Members that upload a resume get 2.3x the number of interview invites through the Talent Oasis. Learn more.

Comments (6)

Jan 5, 2018

Hi jumper123, yes, I'm a bot, but I'm also good looking. Hopefully, these threads help you:

• F500 media corp finance (reporting/strategy) vs growing MM Bank Trade Support MO role-> i can market the F500 work... Will Biz Schools think im a botard for switching to Trade Support? If you ... Its a rough market for jobs these days in IBD, especially for a 50ish ranked undergrand with 3.3 ... gpa. Want to do another year of work and go to top 15 business school, then mostly IBD to get into MM ...
  • Thank you WSO Community! AMA/My Story: Target--> State School--> Non-MBA Masters--> MM IB--> Lower MM PE IB / PE path. Non-MBA Business Master (1-year) Early in my senior year, I realized that given my ... In short, I recently accepted an offer to join a lower middle market PE firm after a little less ... a better impression in person than on the phone. 2) Be prepared for anything but don't
  • Corp Fin F500 or Big 4?---> End goal MBA I'm interested to know others' opinions on whether a Big 4 gig or Corp Fin at a F500 ... would look "better" on an MBA application. Right now, I am working at a Big 4 in audit, and ... a clear-cut answer on which one will look "better" on an MBA app, or which one will most likely
  • What range of MBA Programs will give you a Good Shot at Six-Figure f500 jobs? a $100,000+ f500 job that's 50-60 hours? Say something in marketing, brand management, rotational ... development, etc. What MBA programs would be worth the time, effort, and cost if six-figure f500 jobs are your ... programs, FLDP, corporate strategy, operations, sales, business development, product management, leadership ...
  • F500 Analyst => Top Tier MBA => MBB => F500 Exec? go from being a financial analyst at a F500 company => top tier MBA => McKinsey/Bain/BCG => ... that I can maybe pursue this track one day. Otherwise, would even FA at F500 => Top MBA => MBB ... undergrad as opposed to F500 people? Thanks f500 corp finance ...
  • F500 FLDP vs IBD Would any of you guys choose F500 FLDP over Investment Banking if the goal wasn't to be a PE ... f500 fldp ... I am planning going to a M7 MBA in the near future. Once I'm at a MBA program, I believe IB /MB/ ...
  • Corporate Finance at F500 Company it possible to get into corporate finance as an entry-level analyst at a F500 company straight out of ... for Accounting). I am working full-time (payroll in a small private company) + taking a full-time ... the post is lengthy but some wisdom would be really appreciated. 1st job; career; Finance; corporate ...
  • More suggestions...

Or maybe the following pros can chime in... @penguin7 @ChurnandBurn @jt10228

I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.

Free Consultation

We know you have questions as you prepare to apply to your target business schools. What are your chances of being admitted? How can you differentiate yourself from so many other applicants? What is the best way to showcase your accomplishments or mitigate your weaknesses? Start getting answers to all your questions by taking advantage of a free 30-minute consultation with an expert from mbaMission’s Senior Consultant team. Learn more.

Jan 9, 2018

the 4-5 years of corporate finance work experience at F500 firms will probably look better. You can definitely use the names of those F500 as leverages for your application. Do be specific what you did there though.

Jan 9, 2018

"MM PE Operations/Consulting" isn't a thing so stick to F500 corpfin.

Jan 9, 2018

It was essentially internal operational consulting. Working with portfolio companies to identify issues, finding ways to increase value, creating growth strategies, ect. It's fairly common at PE firms, although the teams are small. I didn't take the job, so I'll be sticking with F500 corpfin for now :)

Jan 10, 2018

Go with the path that will allow you to stand out and show growth in your career. If there's another position in corp finance available to you, whether that be upward, or laterally, that may be a safer and better bet.

That being said, I did 2.5 yrs of corp fin and 2.5 years of valuations at a small financial services company prior to Kellogg.

Jan 11, 2018