Big 4 vs. MBB Job Offers
So I worked for Accenture over this summer, and during full time recruiting I got offers from two of MBB and two of the Big 4 (E&Y, KPMG, PwC, and Deloitte). Right now, I'm leaning towards one of the Big 4 firms because I liked the people I met there, and from what my interviewers said it seems like the exit opps are pretty similar from all of these places (top MBA and Fortune 500 companies, some into finance). What are some things you guys would consider?
Choosing Between Consulting Big 4
Regardless of what the Big 4 HR teams will say, our users feel that MBB jobs will provide more prestige and exit opportunities. That being said, if you are more interested in accounting you should pursue the Big 4 path.
User @Riffs" shared that the easy choice was MBB:
MBB of course.
Work hours are very similar between MBB and Big 4 so you have no advantage there. In fact, having worked at both, I can't think of any advantage of working at a Big 4 over MBB. If you want to get into banking then Big 4 TAS may be considered more beneficial than consulting for some ibanks, but in most cases they would take the prestige of an MBB alum.
MBB has better projects, better people, better prestige, better pay and better exit opportunities. Easy choice.
User @Captain America" shared that it is a more complicated choice:
A lot of people on here will tell you to take MBB solely on prestige, but remember that the work at these places will be fundamentally different and you should choose whichever you are more interested in (account vs. consulting) rather than which one your college friends will be impressed with.
User @Adelbert_Buffington" shared some points to consider:
There are lots of other factors that come into play in choosing a consulting offer to accept. The lazy answer is choose MBB indiscriminately. But if you're rational, consider a few of the following:
- Your relationship with the manager or senior manager who's recruiting you. A good relationship will get you far more interesting assignments, faster promotions, and better letters of recommendation two years down the line.
- Hours. At MBB you'll work 60-80; Big Four, probably 55-65. It depends on your own preferences, but if you're going to BSchool after, you can get to any school from either choice, so your quality of life is worth considering (I hope the bankers don't read that).
- Work flow. What division would you work with? Are you going to be doing bull shit compliance work? Are you being recruited to help the Gov't of Pennsylvania's sanitation department on a 15 year IT implementation project, or analyzing the pre-merger synergies of F500 companies?
Check out a video below of an industry professional explaining what they consider to be the "best big 4" to work at.
Big 4 and MBB Business School Acceptance Chances
Our users denoted that it is easier to go from MBB to a top MBA program if that is the path you are pursuing.
Let me put this into perspective for you. Here are some numbers from Harvard Business School, in the Class of 2013.
- There are 100 McKinsey alumni.
- There are 42 BCG alumni.
- There are 41 Bain alumni
- There are 22 Deloitte alumni, mix of audit, tax & consulting
- There are 9 PWC alumni - 6 consultants and 3 auditors.
- There is 1 Ernst/Young alumni. ONE. He did auditing and was a 2+2 guy, so he got into HBS regardless of his work at E&Y.
- There are 0 KPMG alumni.
Now I know what you're thinking - these things aren't the same size! McKinsey is about double the size of BCG. BCG is a little bigger than Bain, but Bain has way more undergrads. Deloitte is huge, I'm not even sure about the other 3 of the Big-4. If you do the math, the rough lesson is that McK > BCG > Bain > Deloitte > PWC > E&Y = KPMG. At least when it comes to top MBA admission.
Read More About This Topic on WSO
- Big 4 Ranking | How Do I Know Which Big 4 To Work For?
- Big 4 Strategy Vs MBB Research
- Big Four Accounting To Investment Banking
Find the Best Jobs on Wall Street
Subscribe to our extensive list of finance jobs! Free one month subscription to the job board if you fill out a WSO Applicant Profile by clicking here. Just send the link of your profile to [email protected] once it's created and get access within 24 hours.