Blackstone – Real Estate Asset Management Summer Analyst 2021 Interview

Hi chimps,

Penultimate that just scored a first round interview at Blackstone. Non-target but I'm from a top Scandinavian school with good academic results (got the interview through referral).

No experience with PERE, any advice on how to nail this interview? I'm interviewing with a couple of analysts in ~ 1 week. Anyone previous summer analysts in the forum with advice on the process? 

Most Helpful

Hi @kingante congrats on the interview!

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. Some tips from my experience:

- Make sure you know "your story" well e.g. tell me about yourself, why Real Estate etc and have examples for the typical competency questions (e.g. tell me about a project you completed, tell me about a recent news story etc.)

- Understand the WACC formula (Cost of capital > cost of debt), what debt does the discount rate, how one can increase their IRR to there target rate...

- You may be asked a quick case study on a modelling example, so know how to calculate the sale price of an asset using the exit yield [k = NOI/Price, therefore sales price = NOI/exit yield (k)] etc.

- Make sure you have at least 3 questions for each interviewer about the role, the team and Blackstone as a company etc.

- keep up to date with the real estate news (property week is quite a good website)

Hope this helps, feel free to DM if you have more Q's

4-4-2

Hi @kingante congrats on the interview!

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. Some tips from my experience:

- Make sure you know "your story" well e.g. tell me about yourself, why Real Estate etc and have examples for the typical competency questions (e.g. tell me about a project you completed, tell me about a recent news story etc.)

- Understand the WACC formula (Cost of capital > cost of debt), what debt does the discount rate, how one can increase their IRR to there target rate...

- You may be asked a quick case study on a modelling example, so know how to calculate the sale price of an asset using the exit yield [k = NOI/Price, therefore sales price = NOI/exit yield (k)] etc.

- Make sure you have at least 3 questions for each interviewer about the role, the team and Blackstone as a company etc.

- keep up to date with the real estate news (property week is quite a good website)

Hope this helps, feel free to DM if you have more Q's

I also have an AM interview coming up with them...would you suggest knowing things like how to add value to a building or other questions very specific to asset management (and if so, what are examples)? Thanks!

Honestly I am not too sure as I was not asked about anything related to that. But that doesn't mean you won't get asked a question on CAPEX and adding valuing etc. It is good to know just in case I guess. Better safe than sorry. 

Hope it goes well!

Thanks a lot for the awesome tips 4-4-2. Do you think the modelling example would involve using Excel or would it just be a quick sanity check? Also, do you think one would need to provide investment recommendations (e.g "Which category/area should we invest in?")

For the 1st round the modelling example will not be on excel but you need a pen and paper to do them (plus a calculator). For the further rounds an excel test would probably be given. 

As for investment recommendation, I would highly recommend you having multiply (at least one) asset classes within the real estate sector that you see some investment opportunity (e.g. industrial warehousing, scientific research space). Be sure to give a good justification as to your investment recommendations.

Savills Research has some good reports regarding some investment growth areas in the real estate sector. 

Neque sint dolore dolorem esse veniam praesentium. Quis perspiciatis quo rerum reprehenderit est et facilis quo. Saepe tempora est beatae cum earum voluptatibus.

Nam dolores aspernatur amet eaque eius corrupti sit. Recusandae quis sit et asperiores beatae et. Molestiae id molestiae totam nisi reiciendis porro illo qui. Velit consequatur officiis iste unde ullam blanditiis. Dicta veniam eaque explicabo et. Vel ut sit nesciunt consectetur animi.

Autem consectetur et iste nam ea. Doloremque aut quia omnis ipsam. Nihil ut temporibus quia dolore sunt sint. Accusantium nam necessitatibus rerum saepe.

Aut voluptatem soluta deleniti maiores amet tempora rem. Porro ipsum et harum aperiam. Eum ipsa eum laudantium nisi necessitatibus. Vel ipsum sequi exercitationem illum. Ut itaque impedit ullam dolores. Fuga aut eum est id iusto aut aut temporibus. Ullam in ut earum dolore expedita quaerat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”