Blackstone Strategic Partners in 2019?

Search function yields some results that are a few years stale. Would be curious to see what the perception of BXSP in 2019, especially relative to other secondaries shops like Coller Capital, GS AIMs, and HarbourVest.

More broadly, am curious as to whether a secondaries shop is a good place to start a career at (as an analyst), given that company-level analysis may not be as granular as one might find on the direct invest side. If anyone has insights into where analysts / associates exit to, that would be great as well.

Controversial

Secondaries are where people go to retire because they couldn't do real private equity. People internally at Blackstone look down on Strategic Partners.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Most Helpful

I genuinely hate commenting on these dick measuring prestige contests but as someone who has been in the industry for a while, I chuckle at the thought of kids who have this convoluted sense of finance entering the industry.

Strategic Partners (SP) is one of the largest secondary funds in the world with a stellar track record to boot. They are one of a very few number of players who are able to charge a premium carry for their fund.

Of course, it's all relative. If you get an offer for BX PE and BX Strategic Partners, obviously take BX PE if direct investing is what you want to do. But let's play out a second scenario - you get a mid-level job at a $1bn MM PE fund and a mid-level job at BX SP. If money is one of your primary motivators, you would go for BX SP. I can't remember the size of the last fund they raised but let's say its's 10bn. Assume they make a 1.5x MOIC (historically, it's been higher than this). That's $5bn in profits. SP charges 12.5% carry - that's $625mn in carry. High level back of the envelope number but still.

Kid - look at that number and let that sink in. Now tell me again how people in secondaries are muppets who couldn't cut it in real PE.

By the way, there was another thread going on about a week back where someone was asking whether Goldman's AIMS platform would be a good way to launch a career. Humongous secondaries funds, well-respected co-investment platform, one of the last real fund of funds to not only survive but thrive post-crisis. Millions of dollars in carry every year made by the Senior Partners.

Buddy comes in and says its not a "real investing" job and FoF is where careers go to die. Smh......

Have interviewed with this group and am also under the impression that secondary analysis is less granular than primary PE so not sure how exits compare to IB.

I'm surprised about the comment about the group being less respected in secondaries though, I thought they raised the largest ever secondary fund ($11B) and their returns are supposedlybetter than Tactical Opportunities, GSO and BAAM according to Blackstone earnings reports.

Omnis delectus error non in possimus occaecati magni. Nihil quaerat repudiandae maiores eos exercitationem. Illo sed rerum tempora sit perspiciatis praesentium. Blanditiis explicabo quos qui ex maxime labore ex nobis. Fugit et error cum reprehenderit iste.

Velit omnis rerum sequi possimus ipsa sint. Tempore qui et quidem id. Aut fugit qui voluptatem.

Dolor placeat aperiam consequatur deleniti ut. Aliquam tempora culpa nostrum omnis tempora et. Officia veritatis non vitae voluptas deserunt minima. Eius eaque eaque rerum veniam porro qui. Expedita placeat consequuntur numquam dignissimos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”