Bonuses 2008

Bonus talk is already in full swing for senior levels. Anyone have any feelings on what analyst bonuses are going to be?

I think first year analyst bonus will be 50 - 70, second year 70-90.

(Exclude GS who if it doesn't pay first year analysts this year +$90K should be considered cheap.)

Don't think 50-70 can be accurate at all. Will be interesting how larger variance in financial results of BBs will affect lower level bonuses (analysts, Associates). But I guess 50 or below will be the norm for first year analysts. GS will never pay 90. Why should they? Everyone will stay with a bank performing that well (and it's GS) so what would be the deal for GS paying much more than the others? GS will be 60 or so max.. They are not stupid...

Best Response

[from bankersball.com]

The news is not all bad. Two comp firms are out with 2007 bonus projections.

Streetwide, the Options Group is projecting that bonuses will be down 5 - 10%, reports the WSJ. Johnson Associates is projecting no change year over year. (Options Group estimates that bonuses increased 15 - 20% last year and 20% in 2005).

Here are the specifics:

-- Support WSO.com and visit these links! Financial Modeling Training Guide to Finance Interviews

Never ever will the I-bankers' bonuses be UP by 10%. That means the whole bonus pool would increase by that size. No bank can communicate such a worsening of the comp/revenue ratio to its stockholders...NEVER

Actually the bankersball article came out this morning, Nov 7, and refers to a WSJ article published today as well. To quote the WSJ, "people working in Wall Street firms' hedge-fund units may see slight declines, while investment bankers and those in private equity and venture capital will see bonuses increase 10%." http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119440038201284710.html?mod=hpp_us_what…

-- Support WSO.com and visit these links! Financial Modeling Training Guide to Finance Interviews

Just a quick question to anyone that has the knowledge (and I doubt many, if any will have a legit answer)...

Obviously bonuses for 1st years weren't that great back in 2002 (wasn't it around $30 or so?)... What was their highest level before that? Basically, how much did they fall during the last recession (inflation adjusted if you could think about it...)

I thought bonuses in 2002 were in the $10 - $20 range...

The current pullback for the financials, some could argue, is as great if not greater than what occured in 2002. The BB are down on average about 25% in the last 3 months. Don't forget there is more to come...

The banks are trying to preserve capital now. I can't see them paying such high bonuses. I say they either cut bonuses or dividends. I think the market cares more about dividends.

record years in what part of IBD that will offset that ass-pounding that happened in Leveraged financce, about to happen in M&A and any private equity/advisory. Your restructuring guys are money, but IBD up 10% is probably the dumbest shit I have heard. Company performance is also included in your stub, so don't think b/c the ABS shitheads are kicked out that won't affect you.

Spiderman, it was said tongue-in-cheek. It was an over simplification to point out that bonuses have very little to do with results and more to do with managing expectations. Kind of like dividends. Gone are the days when bonuses come directly out of pools and when dividends are signals. Management is too smart for that.

Kind of makes both redundant in a way, doesn't it?

Accusamus et voluptatem hic beatae sint quisquam. Qui molestiae tempore voluptatem qui incidunt. Dolorem et nobis fugit. Non sed ut cum quis molestiae.

Est est laudantium pariatur quo vero iusto. Iure magnam hic est debitis. Molestias officiis ipsam aut necessitatibus excepturi eos est.

Similique sint est porro et. Consequatur ratione ducimus itaque accusantium accusantium ullam. A consequatur a quis nesciunt non ut. Quis delectus velit soluta nisi atque nostrum. Magnam et libero rem magnam aut totam minus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”